Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Bought a 500 dollar 924 (build thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mars478  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying tomorrow . I'll keep y'all updated, still unsure of what dojng about brakes... Think I'm getting it flat bedded to my parking complex where I keep my daily, (park daily on streets of NYC), and gonna fix brake pressure problem in garage.
However, owner says if you bleed brakes, they will stay bled for 2 weeks and then drop again... I could take the risk and drive it to my house in LI... Hmmmm anyone have insight on what could be a "quick fix" for the brakes? E brake apparently works.

What's your guys take on historical insurance? The ridiculously low premiums are very attractive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mars478  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's mine! Hood scoop is gone, drivetrain feels solid, it started leaking brake fluid at one of the lines after I pumped it up a little so I guess that solves that problem. Any DIY on brake lines? E brake works, all electrical seems good, transmission and engine seems smoother than my friends 944.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mars478  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea what these seats are out of?

The lap belt you see has only the brand "Klippan" on it and when I google that brand only child safety seats come up. The seats recline back and forward.
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klippan makes seat belts.

I could be crazy but those look like 348 seats. (They probably aren't, but they still look awesome) - would be curious what sports seats/car they came from.

- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're actually Ferrari seats I am going to be selling them for funds for this car. They don't look EXACTY like 348's but the shape looks like the testarossa ones. I need to fix the leaky brake line. Who has a suggestion?
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also while they recline very nicely, they don't move forward or back which makes them a little impractical
kcoyle  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score, that's a pretty good price for a driver. Brakes are pretty straight forward so the haynes manual should be good enough. Personally I would do all 4 corners so you know that are good to go.

KC

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a generic brake hard line kit online that has the proper 10mm bubble flares used on the cars and redid all of the lines on my car so that I could use later style brake parts (my car is a 79).

If you just have one leaking hard line, you could try grabbing one from the yard or order a generic replacement piece and bend it up yourself.

I would recommend replacing the flex lines as well. Braided stainless steel tends to improve pedal feel, but OEM replacements will help as well.

When I did the lines on my car, I had to tighten the fittings a few times to eliminate all of the leaks after the brakes had been bled and used a few times.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
I ordered a generic brake hard line kit online that has the proper 10mm bubble flares used on the cars and redid all of the lines on my car so that I could use later style brake parts (my car is a 79).

If you just have one leaking hard line, you could try grabbing one from the yard or order a generic replacement piece and bend it up yourself.

I would recommend replacing the flex lines as well. Braided stainless steel tends to improve pedal feel, but OEM replacements will help as well.

When I did the lines on my car, I had to tighten the fittings a few times to eliminate all of the leaks after the brakes had been bled and used a few times.

Having never bent brake lines what kind of equipment is needed?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple brake line bending tool available at most tool places. The lines are easy enough to bend (think like a wire clothes hanger) that it isn't too bad, just time consuming. Be careful to not kink the bends.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
Simple brake line bending tool available at most tool places. The lines are easy enough to bend (think like a wire clothes hanger) that it isn't too bad, just time consuming. Be careful to not kink the bends.

Is it worth it to buy the tools etc as compared to finding the brake line specifically made for this car?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the line, provided it is in good shape, is certainly hitting the easy button.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
Finding the line, provided it is in good shape, is certainly hitting the easy button.

I'm guessing actually finding the line however is not easy... I need to pinpoint exactly what line is leaking. I would say it is under the car at about the length of where the side view mirrors are.
John The Californian  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nice to see you on here Mars. This is John from tinyoppo.(you should come back sometime).
Very nice find. Aaron told me you were looking but didn't tell me you'd found one. Good luck with it all.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John The Californian wrote:
Oh nice to see you on here Mars. This is John from tinyoppo.(you should come back sometime).
Very nice find. Aaron told me you were looking but didn't tell me you'd found one. Good luck with it all.

Hey buddy! Don't tell Aaron I bought it! I'm trying to play a prank on him. He didn't want me to buy this car. I'm going to show it to him in a week or so. What's the URL for tiny oppo again? I lost it i would love to come back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: