Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New guy, picked up a 931, fix or part out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fix it or sell parts?
Fix
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
Parts
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

juha_teuvonnen  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Series 2 owner I have no reason to badmouth S2 cars. IMHO the bad rap that series 1 cars got for is irrelevant today. Ideola has trigger wheels for sale at reasonable prices, all you need to do it to get a VR sensor and make a bracket and you can use MSD programmable ignition unit. This is actually better setup than S2 Porsche DITC. You can't get replacement S2 crank sensors any more. With MSD you can program your own ignition map. You can use stronger aftermarket clutch for S1, which would be a fraction of what S2 clutch kit costs AFAIK. Besides, I don't even know whether you can get a replacement pressure plate for S2 any more.

S1 is not a bad 931 and it's not really inferior to S2. Keep it. At this day and age, the only way to keep these cars running is to modify them anyway.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it sure is pretty.
Me and a friend both put up the money to buy it and he was absolutely adamant that he wouldn't sell his half out to me, and me not being too crazy about co-owning a car with someone I let him buy out my half. But it's at my place and he isn't too much of a mechanic so either I'm going to end up doing a metric shit tun of work on his car for next to nothing or heyll end up loosing intrest in it and selling it back to me witch is very likely. Either way after finding out so much about this car and what a treasure it is I am going to make sure that it gets put back together right and doesn't get butchered. It's at the point where it just needs parts, he can't afford parts right now so it's serving its purpose on a four block pedestal as a gorgeous lawn ornament for the time being..
Ponz  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned my 79 euro turbo for 15 years without any problems at all. I repainted it twice and replaced the drivers side motor mount. As far I am concerned it has served me well. I have said that I like it better than my Targa. Less power but who cares.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a whole bunch of turbo parts on the shelf, so when you're ready to rebuild it, let me know, I can help you source the necessary good condition used replacement parts.

RE: rings for the 931, the OEM rings are stupid expensive, but we have worked with TotalSeal to develop a 931-specific kit which are now readily available for $253 per complete set.
http://garage.ideola.com/prod-EngineRebuildKits.html#block

(And, FWIW, the OEM NA rings are now also pretty much NLA. We have TotalSeal ring packs for the NA for $188 per complete set).
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I bought him out, now I can finally do something with it...
I think im going to chase down the interior electronics problems and fix the leaking firewall before I dump a shit tun of money into the whole turbo deal.
wipers only work on one speed, windows don't rool down, heater only works on one speed, some strange switch under dash...
find out how much of a pita that's going to be first before serious investment...

not too much I can do right now, car is tarped over to prevent the interior from getting wet due to the leak and if you walk up to it youd be standing pretty much foot level with the hood EVEN WITH it being sky high on blocks theres that much snow..

doing some serious turbo research right now, it is infact a 2664 compressor s1 turbo, the compressor housing is a bit scuffed up but I think it will still work, im going to get ahold of Michigan turbo tomorrow and ask them all sorts of questions, im wondering if I can have my housing bored out for maybe the next size bigger compressor wheel....

on a positive note im into this car for no more than $400 cash and the time it takes me to do the wheel bearings on a Yamaha bike
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well today I went and dug all of the snow off of the car, opened it up and inserted my redneck dehumidifier..
carpet quite dry because I left the tarp on it so far all winter but still condensation on windows so I think I can blow most of it out...
couldn't completely remove tarp unless I wanted to dig for an hour or two..
still in good shape...
pics of snow on and then off, car still in same position on blocks as in earlier pic
pic of rear post cover interior that I need to figure out a way to fix, about the only real interior problem, bad drivers seat, bad dome light cover, bad visor clip on passenger side but very minor repairs other than that post cover..
the pic with the red sticking out of the snow is my e36 bmw 318is on its tires on ground just to show how much snow there is because I think its cool, including my little brothers footprints all the way across it like a bridge, its pretty much a parts car but I haven't touched it, too much heart in it but not worth restoring, no footprints on the 924 tho
skooled his ass while I was at it

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there has been some progress....

I bought a good turbo core, 2664 trim 4.10 housing, its a 6406 (us s1) that is in the mail as I type to Michigan turbo in grand rapids, we worked out a deal and they say labor is only going to be 150 for the whole shot rebuild. depending on what they want to charge for bearings and whatnot I may just sorce them myself for $50 entire k26 rebuild kit so I should come out with a brand new turbo for $350..

next step is going to be ordering all the seals and gaskets to install it properly, but in the time being im going to hold on to my cash incase the rebuild gets more expencive than im anticipating, I would hate to not have the money on hand to pay the shop.

in the mean time I ripped all of the sealent out of my battery box and discovered much more than a pinhole leak including pop riveted aluminum pieces from a past repair that didn't last. I think im going to wire wheel it all out and cut a new floor plate for the box out of some steel or aluminum (whatever I can find lating around) and fiberglass it in after a good coat of rust inhibitor on the remaining fresh metal. SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED

and I took out all three window switches and cleaned up all the contacts today for something productive to do..

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the headlight switch assembly (PITA), the mirror selector, and the hatch glass wiper switch now too. all switches filed, contact cleanerd, dielectric greased, and tested with the handy dandy multimeter.

And progress on the battery box project...

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=39915&highlight=

I'm still not sure enough in the funds department to sick the turbo experts on my turbo any more at the moment but that's in progress also..

Just an update on my car build thread. (this one)
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have completed all of the switches I can find besies the mirror adjuster knob. I did the rear glass/mirror heater switch and the hazards switch, and the set of turn signal/wiper guts are all fresh and clean.

I hope that alleviates whatever problem prompted the PO to install some switch through the wipers wiring.

link to that project thread..

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=39899&highlight=

Last edited by Fasteddie313 on Wed May 07, 2014 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fresh pics of the car?
Ponz  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Euro 931 for about 13 years without problems. I also cool down the engine before shutting it down. Problems?? one front left motor mount, two paint jobs and some minor other items. Currently has about 90K original miles.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real good fresh pics on hand, no beauty shots atleats... just pics of minor problem areas that I need to solve... Progress is being made
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

progress

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just to update my build thread heres some pics of the finished battery box (dirty already I know, its been done for over a week before pics)

and my interior all put back together nice and pretty like

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpers move in also ofcorse...

I have 3 oil filters, a set of plugs, and a timing belt and tensioner on the way along with hatch pins and a unch of other smalls... my cap/rotor and wires look brand spankin new for some reason, prolly cause they are..

I have a s2 spec turbo put together with all of the best parts I have on hand and im going to install it and see what happens.. shaft play is excellent but the piston rings on the turbine side aren't quite perfect, ill just see what happens I suppose...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: