Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 owners in the UK??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankg  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: 931 owners in the UK?? Reply with quote

I wonder how many owners there are in the UK? Having owned a few over the years I have to say they are everything the standard 924 isn't !! You will never appreciate how good it is until your sat driving it and over time, you will ask yourself what took you so long cos there just plains and simple fun cars and totally underestimated - just remember its a 1980s car and not a 2000 plus modern electrically controlled toy as cars are now adays

Hi to everyone I have just joined
ptheskil  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from Essex/Hertfordshire border. 931 s2.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the ridicule of turbos being over complicated, over fragile and mostly being worked on rather than driven, we had 11 turbos and only 8 NAs and 8 S's at the 924 owners club event two weekends ago.

A few pics from the event on the front page http://www.porsche924.co.uk/
frankg  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if owners serviced their cars they wouldnt break down do much. In all the miles I have done I have only lost the odd burst pipe and blown tire, besides the big stuff like blowing engines and gearboxes, those dont count cos it was down to wear and tear.

The turbo has never given me any bother !!
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circa 70 turbos were road going and taxed last year and 160 sorn'd. I reckon most of those sorn'd will never see the road again. A number of these cars will i believe be Carrera GT's. So becoming very rare in the UK. http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/combined/924_turbo

As for servicing, some of the repairs are quite eye watering in costs and with the relatively low prices for 924's these repairs can be uneconomical. Thankfully there's a few owners whereby the service costs is part of the ownership hobby and not seen as loosing money versus its market value. I still believe the turbo will be an appreciating classic in the near future once the masses realise how few there are in the market place. Especially good ones, let alone the minters.

Mine is a keeper. I even refused a serious offer to buy it last weekend by an admirer.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Despite the ridicule of turbos being over complicated, over fragile and mostly being worked on rather than driven, we had 11 turbos and only 8 NAs and 8 S's at the 924 owners club event two weekends ago.

A few pics from the event on the front page http://www.porsche924.co.uk/

Where were all you guys when I was over there?!
frankg  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of them one is being broken for spares the other I have I think decided to put back on the road. The one I am breaking has a 944 s2 turbo bodykit so its not original and a good reason to break, sexy yes but not an authentic 924 turbo. There are a few minters around but they now attract between £3/4k, sadly thats rare but if your prepared to wait someone will pay the cash. As for appreciating value, who cares, only people who appreciate them would even consider them, what you pay to keep it running isnt the issue, else you would buy a Ford Corsa or a plastic Japanese toy.

There is something special about driving the 924 turbo its low and to be fair fast even by todays standards for a 2ltr car, my brother has a 944S2 turbo and that is hell on wheels, its out of this world, its a rocket, but then so are the costs of keeping it on the road but my god its one sexy beast
kcoyle  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watching "wheeler dealers" here in the US. Can someone tell me what the tax thing is about? Here in NY I pay a registration fee every year.
Also, your MOT looks pretty in depth even for old cars. The NY inspection for an old car is basically about 5 minutes of checking the lights, brakes and horn.

Thanks!

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First the car needs to pass an MoT which is a full chassis, emissions and basic electrical check which takes 45 mins to and hour. This costs £45 and is required annually for 3+ year old vehicles. If it passes then you need insurance. With both of these in hand you can then purchase the Road Fund Licence or commonly called road tax. This costs from £65 to £465 depending on how much CO2 the car emits. Very low, hybrids and electric vehicles can be free. Cars older than 1972 are also free.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not from the UK but i have one of the RHD 924 turbos
kcoyle  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I guess I have it easy here when it comes to old cars. It varies state by state but here in NY anything over 25 years old doesn't get an emissions inspection, just basic safety. (very basic).

Carrera RSR wrote:
First the car needs to pass an MoT which is a full chassis, emissions and basic electrical check which takes 45 mins to and hour. This costs £45 and is required annually for 3+ year old vehicles. If it passes then you need insurance. With both of these in hand you can then purchase the Road Fund Licence or commonly called road tax. This costs from £65 to £465 depending on how much CO2 the car emits. Very low, hybrids and electric vehicles can be free. Cars older than 1972 are also free.

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Not from the UK but i have one of the RHD 924 turbos

It won't be listed in the UK figures anymore. We have to tax the car or fill in sorn paperwork (statutory off road notice). If you do neither the cars registration for use in the UK becomes null and void. A re registration will be required will full inspection to ensure the vehicle is what you say it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: