Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 turbo 82
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ignatzjr  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondered about opportunity I have to trade an 87 300ZX in decent shape for a 924 turbo -1982 with supposedly blown head gasket - does run though . The guy put 2 on and they both blew quickly. He changed the wast gate, too. I m thinking he is doing the job wrong or using a non-Porsche aftermarket gasket. He did the lower end, too and car is clean. I have had a 924S for years until recently and a 928 Euro and a 924 - had pretty good luck with all of these but Turbo sounds tempting. Any advice? thanx, bob bobtheatre@aol.com
81turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it, the first thing you should do is order a set of Raceware head studs. They run about $180 but they are the best thing to solve the problem. The Job is not easy. I just finished one. If you do get the car I recommend you change all of the exhaust seals and exhaust studs (part of the sdame project). The entire exhaust has to come off and the turbo must be removed. It is not terribly difficult to disassemble, but puting it back togther correctly takes time and can be a pain. This job will cost quite a bit but it is very worth it. I just got my car aligned after all of my suspension mods and I forgot how much fun it was. The turbo is a whole different animal than the n/a. -Ryan

[ This Message was edited by: 81turbo on 2002-08-03 10:55 ]
ignatzjr  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the input. I have some time to work on it, and have other cars to drive right now, so might be a good thing. The raceware head studs you mentioned - where do you get those? Also, I guess I should get a head gasket from Porsche, or wont it matter with the new studs? I think also the chances of the 924 turbo appreciating in value in the future is much better than the ZX,s
which I think they made a million of!
ignatzjr  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more question on this great message board. In my basement I have a set of Webers and manifold for the 924 - has anyone ever tried putting these on a turbo?? thanx, bob
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Saab's (the Sonnet I think) and some of the rallye Saab 99's had turbocharging with carburation.

You live in Ohio right? Good luck! The changes in weather will mean that you're constantly adjusting the damned things, especially with the turbo system. Further, any out of adjustment phases in your work might result in engine pieces scattered throughout your oil. It's a risky mod, in my opinion.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.raceware-fasteners.com

I put a set of these on my car 7+ years ago - actually, don't recall it being too difficult, but I didn't have to remove the head, turbo, etc. for what I was doing. If I'm remembering correctly, with the engine cold, I loosened up the old head bolts in an alternating pattern and removed them, then installed the Raceware studs according to the directions supplied. Never had a head gasket problem before or after installing the new head studs.

[ This Message was edited by: Smoothie on 2002-08-04 08:29 ]
John H  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-03 16:11, ignatzjr wrote:
Just one more question on this great message board. In my basement I have a set of Webers and manifold for the 924 - has anyone ever tried putting these on a turbo?? thanx, bob

The Maserati BiTurbo ran two IHI turbos blowing through a Weber carb. Cars were a 2.5 litre (I think) V6 putting out about 200hp. No problem running carbs with a turbo - but if you've got the Fuel Injection why change - you're no going to gain much in power if anything.
ignatzjr  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Youre right - one fix at a time. Might try to sell the Webers and manifold - or put them on my 924. thanx, bob
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sell the carbs and manifold, will not help you on the turbo, a real step backwards. If you want to develop the car, get a programmable EFI system or EFI and direct-fire ignition combined. Of course, the 81-82 931 already has digital ignition, just not direct-fire. But no need for that till you get to really high boost levels.

Speaking of which, how much boost is he running in that thing??? It really should not be blowing the gaskets that quickly. I'd suspect another issue, though probably not serious, if it is blowing gaskets. Anyone verify the new wastegate is functioning properly? Hooked up properly? Fuel cutout working? Engine tuned correctly?

Things to think about - don't treat the symptoms, fix the problem.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
wdb  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a few obvious reasons for quickly blowing a head gasket . warped head from over heating or impropper torqueing , agressive cleaning of the head or block with a wire wheel in a drill eroding the space between the cylinders . or the threads in the block that the head bolts screw into could be corroded ,damaged or have dirt in them giving a false torque reading. run a thread tap in the holes to clean the threads
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the car overheating? If not, is the temperature gauge incorrect? Last time I blew 3 gaskets on a 931, was when the temp gauge was reading wrong, along with a porous bleeder screw and housing (even after I replaced crush washers for bleeder). Never trust your gauges in a 931. if it's a used car.
ignatzjr  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the info - first I will find out why oil is coming out from under the exh. man - maybe a loose ftg. on the oil cooler or something. thanx , for all the hints! bob
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my 80 931 head gasket over 1 1/2 years ago. Used the correct gasket and the old studs.

The head gasket was blown when I bought it for $650. The PO said that the head gasket was replaced by a shop and did not last too long. I knew he was right when it came time to remove the head. Some studs came loose with alot of effort and A 1/2 breaker bar and some with just a 1/2 rachet.

Install gasket dry and torque IAW factory specs. No need to retorque.

Michael
ignatzjr  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - will do that . Got the tip on the Raceware studs, might add those just to be sure. Need the car running so will be working on it shortly, thanx to all, bob dobush
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil can be coming right from the head gasket, because of a scrape on the head surface. It is more common, though, for it to be coming from the cam cover seals, and/or the end camshaft seal. Feel with your finger. Feel right under the cam gasket on the head....Wear a surgery glve so you don't burn. If it's moist there, that's the problem. Oil will run down, and find it's way past the manifold faster than you stink (think). Check the camshaft near teh sprocket while car is running. Is the spinning camshaft rod wet? If so the seal needs to be replaced there too.

Also remember that if the head gasket was blown, and there was any colant in the oil sitting there, the lower end will need a rebuild. If the head gasket was/is changed promptly, or the coolant and oil were drained as soon as the gasket blew, there is no need to worry.

[ This Message was edited by: larso on 2002-08-14 12:04 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: