Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Clutch cable end with ball bearings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Clutch cable end with ball bearings Reply with quote

In another thread, I have posted pictures of this clutch cable end solution, but I will post it here also. Then it should be easier to find in the future.

The original plastic ends(forks), on the old style cables, will wear out and eventually break.

I have worked out at solution, where a small ball bearing can be used, instead of having two materials rubbing against each other.

The new forks are made from lasercut stainless steel. I only had them lasercut, since I made them at a previous work, where it could be done for free.

I cut off the old ends of the clutch pedal and clutch arm, and welded a ring on instead, where the ball bearing is pressed into.

A bolt, that is not fully threaded, is mounted in the hole in the fork , going through the bearing, and finally secured with a nut. One side of the fork is threaded, so the bolt cannot rotate.

"If you can't fix it, don't break it"

/P.G. Andersen
!tom  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.

But, not very DIY. Not too many people can fab up those bearing holders that way.
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. It takes a few special tool to doo it (and welding skills)

In my workshop, I have an old, very old, lathe and a TIG welder. The fork (or is it called a clevis) is not necessarily a laser cutting job. Today, where it would have costed me money, to have them lasercut, I would probably have made the differently. It's been 10 years, since I had them lasercut, they have just been laying around, as loose parts since then.

"If you can't fix it, don't break it"

/P.G. Andersen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: