Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Are these things reliable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honda Killer  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi im new to the Porsche experince i just purchased a 87 924S and i love it just one question though. My car has 164,000 miles on it it has been kept up really well and has all books records. I went ahead and bought on my experince with Mercedees(a car benz like this with all books and records mileage means nothing) and im hoping its same. The car looks and runs great aside from a little hesitation when cold but im OK and the cars from CA so im assuming CA's jacked emissions system is probably waht;s causing it. One more ? is there a 944 upgrade for the 924S one of mt friends has a 87 also and this one is much faster he said it might be becasue of that is there any tell if this true?
Honda Killer  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHH by the way Honda Killer comes from my straight german 84 190e 4spd Manual that i put a 16V Benz motor and turbo on. No honda, Mitiu, Toyota, has come close to it Nissan 300ZX's give me a run for my money though.

[ This Message was edited by: Honda Killer on 2002-07-24 14:17 ]
gohim  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 87 924S shares teh same engine as the 87 944. But it weighs less due to the narrower fenders, and tires. Different transmission gearing gives it an advantage over a 944, and a 87 924S is faster, and has a higher top speed then a 944 with the same engine. Some time during the 87 model year the compression ratio of the 944 engine was raised 1/2 a point, yielding about 10 hp. the 924S was not given this hp bump until the 88 model year, which was it's last in the US.

No, a heavy launch in a 924S will not bend the drive shaft located within the torque tube. However, if the car has an original type rubber centered clutch disc, and it is getting old, a heavy launch could cause complete sudden failure of the rubber center. The cost of replacing the clutch runs between $500-$600 for parts, and 12-16 hours labor if you are paying, and not doing.

The camshaft timing belt, and balance shaft belts must be replaced every 30K miles or 3 years (whichever comes first). At that time, it is recommended that the water pump, pulleys, rollers, oil cooler, and front oil seals also be replaced. This service will cost between $1500-$2500 if you do not do it yourself, and some special tools which cost around $500 must be used.

You say you have the service history for this car. If it has not had these parts replaced within the past 30K miles, or 3 years, I recommend that you take the car directly to someone who can do the work, or stop driving the car, order the parts, and the tools, and do the work yourself, before you drive it any further.

The 924S/944 engine is an interference type engine. When the belts break, slip, or jump, valves get bent, and sometimes the entire engine gets ruined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: