Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

76 924 winter transplant. Need advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trgrenier  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: 76 924 winter transplant. Need advice. Reply with quote

Hey there, I'd just like to start by saying this is my first post on the forum, so a little back ground info I just bought a 76 924 in perfect condition in August and would like to do a build as I have a shop with full lifts ect for free to use until may.

So what I'd like to do I also have a 1980 931 engine and the 5 speed Gretag transmission. I just finished a complete rebuild on the engine including a new kkk 26 with a 1 bar spring in the waste gate (I will be fabbing a custom front mount inter cooler as well). But I'd like to know if the trans will fit in easilly or what else I will need to seek out before I begin to pull the old engine and everything out.

Do the mounts match? Bell housing? Do I need to change the torque tube? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler
spannernut  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 76 924 winter transplant. Need advice. Reply with quote

Trgrenier wrote:
Hey there, I'd just like to start by saying this is my first post on the forum, so a little back ground info I just bought a 76 924 in perfect condition in August and would like to do a build as I have a shop with full lifts ect for free to use until may.

So what I'd like to do I also have a 1980 931 engine and the 5 speed Gretag transmission. I just finished a complete rebuild on the engine including a new kkk 26 with a 1 bar spring in the waste gate (I will be fabbing a custom front mount inter cooler as well). But I'd like to know if the trans will fit in easilly or what else I will need to seek out before I begin to pull the old engine and everything out.

Do the mounts match? Bell housing? Do I need to change the torque tube? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The engine gearbox and torque tube from the 931 should all fit ,with no modification,but you will have to use the 931 torque tube as the N/A 924 has a 20mm tube against the 931 using a 25mm tube.
you will also need the ignition module, airbox, and i think the fuel distribution unit is slightly different, you might have to use the 931 distributer,also before you change engines make sure the thermo time switch is good as it's a bitch to change when the engines mounted.
hope that helps.

Tyler
Trgrenier  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that definitely helps me out, I have everything you mentioned except the 931 torque tube. So ill have to find one as well.
spannernut  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would imagine the early 944 torque tube should fit.
FJ40Jim  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the 78-earlier cars use an Audi 4speed transaxle.
The 79-80 5spd in a 931 is the Porsche snail type.

The snail uses a very different mounting arrangement. To fit it in a 76 body will require updating to the 79-80 rear suspension carrier.

It may be easier to get a junkyard 81-later 924/944 audi 5speed transaxle/tork tube/shifter/carrier.

Also, if using the 931 or 944 BH, they use a hydraulic slave cylinder, instead of cable clutch actuation in the '76. Might want to get the clutch pedal & MC & lines from a 944.

HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: