Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

GTS/GTR rods etc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simsport  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to fit a turbo in addition to my supercharger.
I want to blow from the turbo through the supercharger and aim for about 1.2 bar boost.

Can anyone tell me if the rods , pistons and crank etc were different on the GTS or GTR and if so are they available anywhere??

Thanks
Simon
Pat  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not run a staged turbo?
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some gtr parts, email me directly

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just want strong rods, yes? Try shotpeening, destressing and balancing your existing rods...might be cheaper than new, but likely not cheaper than the ones Bob is selling.

I'm confused by this arrangement you're proposing. Has it been done before? I'd wonder how having so much pressure coming INTO the supercharger would affect performance or reliability of the supercharger. And vice versa: How does having the supercharger SUCK air affect the turbo?

Where have you seen this done? And why not just get a bigger supercharger, or faster spooling, bigger turbo? Or a staged turbo, as mentioned?

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-07-23 03:25 ]
simsport  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think it has been done but noton a 924/931 before of course.
Lancia produced a very good rally car with both a turbo and supercharger, HKS made a'Twincharger'kit and nissan fitted one to a 1ltr micra which drives like a much bigger car, I know I have driven one here in the UK.

They all seem to be different and the real magic seems to be in the way to apply the engine management to both the turbo and supercharger and deal with boost transitions etc. We guess it will require a bypass system once the blower is running flat out or even a clutch to take it out of drive plus electronic control of a wastegate.

One experienced blower engineer here reckons that by sucking through the turbo it will spool up faster with litle detriemnt to the supercharger.....then when it gets up to full speed it will give higher boost and the blower will simply run in that boosted airflow with no problems adding no heat. He suggests having the intercooler after the turbo and before the blower.

Not entirley sure myself and have this option or the fitting of a whipple blower to get more boost. The engine makes 205 or so now at 0.8 bar boost so at 1.1 bar boost......??....perhaps 235-240 bhp? after all the GTS made 275.

Either way I aim to take the venerable old girl to greater heights this winter, just need to test out costs of parts and how sensible the options are.

I do like the sound of a combination of both turbo and supercharger, it would be different eh!

Cheers
Simon

PS I will try and post the latest picture showing the accident damage from this weekend when I wiped off the front bodywork, but won the class with best time doing so, costly but a win's a win!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: