Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Timming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've done it, (again). Messed with the timming on the 81 931 and noticed that the marks didn't advance when I twisted the distrubitor. Not like a NA. The car runs very poor, bad, slow, whatever you want to call it. Since this is my first attempt at tunning up a 931, what the heck did I do wrong? The car ran fine before I messed with the timming. Also I want to sell this 81 and this is the last thing to do.

All offers under $2,000 and over $1,500 considered.

Michael

I also have tons of NA parts and am in need of a fuel pump and water pump for an 80 931. Want to swap?

John H  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car is one with the digital ignition movign the distributor will have little effect on the timing. All the timing advance retard etc is doen in the control module.
Timing of these cars is real easy - just line the mark (notch)on the crank pully (at the front of the motor) to the pointer on the block teh dot on the back of the cam pulley should line up with the pointer on the cam cover. Then all you do is pull teh cover of the dizzy and line the rotor up with No 1 plug lead and you're away.

easy when you say it fast.
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are telling me that by messing with the dizzy I really can't mess up the timeing? I also messed with the air mixture screw and when it starts and runs the exhaust will burn your eyes.

Michael

[ This Message was edited by: 924martinirossi on 2002-07-20 14:26 ]
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, unless you removed the distributor you didn't really screw up the timing. Actually all you need to do is turn the dizzy so that the clamps run straight down the axis of the car. That is what the factory manual shows and that will put the #1 in the right place. You don't turn the dizzy to adjust timing; you can't adjust the timing on the digital ignition cars. If it is too far off though, the rotor won't be lined up with the wire terminal. It sounds like you screwed up the air/fuel mixture. After you position the dizzy correctly, try to take the air mixture screw back to where it was. -Troy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: