Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 Transmissions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: 931 Transmissions Reply with quote

I have two Audi five speed transmissions to choose from for my CGT project.

One, has 931 written all over it, it's a junkyard find with the date of 1990 written on it. Casting number on top is MB 03091. I tried replacing the input shaft seal, out front, and the replacement went in all the way to the casing. Seemed like it was loose? I have another one to put in, but was curious why it wasn't a tight fit? (Unfortunately, the one I removed was in fine shape, grrrr)

Two, the other one is MB 10031. The bellhousing is a bit different on this one. At the two o'clock position, there is a rectangular hole, like on an engine bell housing for checking TDC. And, at the 10 o'clock position, there is a round hole on the side, like the one at the 3 o'clock position on either trannies. What up?

I'm thinking of using number two with the original seal. I'll probably try replacing the new seal on the first tranny with my spare, and keep the seal flush this time.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
FJ40Jim  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if this helps, but the MB is the tranny ID code and the five digits is a date code in DDMMY format.
03091= 3rd day of 9th month of year ending in 1. Sept 3rd, 1981.

Standard VW/audi format, found on all transaxles and rear differential (on Quattro cars).

Since they are both MB code, they should have the same ratio package. Just the dates are slightly different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: