Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Bockscar's EFI Ultra-Conversion (Lots-o-pics)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bockscar  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've done a lot of reading, talking to friends who know more about cars than me, and tweaking/tuning. Here's where I'm at.

Timing: My timing settings are as follows -

I'm not exactly sure why this works but, it works quite well. I'm afraid to adjust it because it works so well!

ReqFuel: Here's what I have going on for my ReqFuel setting -

I've read about other folks' ReqFuel and the value is all over the board. Some people have over 10, others have around 7 like mine.. 7.6 seems to work great for my engine. I am also running my fuel pressure at a sold 60lbs.

VE and Spark Maps: And here's my fuel and spark maps -

This is a very rough draft and still very much a work in progress. I only have it idling (albeit very high) and I've driven back and forth in the driveway a few times. I am still getting used to how these maps work. I went ahead and shelled out the $50 bones to buy the full version of TunerStudio and the VE analyzer has been doing some of the hard work for me. I am pretty happy with what I have so far.

On the final note, how is everyone controlling their idle? One limitation to using MICROSquirt instead of the full featured MegaSquirt is that it lacks the ability to control a fully fledged stepper idle motor. I am currently using the Aux Air Valve that came with my car and it seems to be working great. I have it mounted in a way that sandwiches it between the charge tube and the intake manifold, probably the hottest section near the head. I don't have it hooked up to 12 volts.. Does it matter that much if it is located in such a warm location?
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to get 'alternating' to work on my setup. Have you tried 'simultaneous' yet?
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
Bockscar  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenadiers wrote:
I haven't been able to get 'alternating' to work on my setup. Have you tried 'simultaneous' yet?

MicroSquirt is set up for 'bank fire' injection by default. This is alternating injection. There are only 2 injector outputs so I have the injectors on cylinders 1 and 4 wires up to one bank and the injectors for 3 and 4 wired up on the other bank. Works like a charm. I have the ignition outputs set up the same way.
Bockscar  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new car recently and have done some reading about recent engine technologies. I feel enlightened . I find the MegaSquirt project history very interesting. However, most (if not all) of the original MegaSquirt technology is based on late 80s early to mid 90s technology, which is why it comes pre-configured to only use a map sensor. Map sensors, while a genius invention for their time, are not the best may to meter air moving through the manifold, especially not in turbo charged cars.

Every modern car produced today uses a hybrid system utilizing a Mass Airflow Sensor and a Map sensor. The map sensor is generally used for spark advance, while the MAF sensor is used for the fuel. Bosch appears to be the first company that started using a very primitive MAF sensor back in the 80s. Heck, our CIS used an even more primitive MAF sensor (they called it a meter!). In the 90s, Nissan licensed Bosch technology and used Bosch EFI systems in their cars. Pretty cool.

That being said, I've decided to quit goofing around with the VE tables in MS and switch to a mass airflow sensor. The sensor I use is a massive 70mm sensor from an Infiniti Q45. I picked up the sensor plus pig tail off ebay for $40. Using MSExtra, this MAF sensor is basically plug n' play.

Bockscar  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project has met it's abrupt conclusion.

You can find out more here: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=38239&highlight=
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to correct you regarding tuning strategies.

MAP sensor IS in fact the best way to tune hot-rodded cars, and especially turbocharged cars. Only place where MAP is not optimal, is high overlapping cams situation where there is little to no intake vacuum. There Alpha-N comes to play.
And notice that MAF is still not mentioned? Right, because MAF doesn't like intake pulsations and requires mild cams, just like CIS.

Take a look on modern race-cars, do you see a MAF sensor anywhere? It is not used even on new race-cars and MAP sensor is used instead.

MAF is only good for OEM's because it compensates for smaller VE changes (=every engine is different, even new) and allows them to get away with less precise tuning and rely on lookup tables (lambda target etc).

So again, this is a way to cut costs even though MAF unit itself costs some (but ~20 times less to OEM, than to customer).
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bockscar wrote:
This project has met it's abrupt conclusion.

You can find out more here: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=38239&highlight=

This link is dead, lost thread?

What happened to the 931?
kcoyle  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the last 2 pages.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=35781&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got busy with life, parted the project and had the car hauled to the yard.

I scavenged some of its parts at the local salvage yard:

http://s148.photobucket.com/user/fiat22turbo/library/Porsche924/bockscar_931

Sad, no?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stereotypical, 931 ended by an EFI conversion..
Megasquirt is intimidating for a reason.
Bockscar  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Stereotypical, 931 ended by an EFI conversion..
Megasquirt is intimidating for a reason.

Actually, one of the holes on the head where the intake manifold bolts was stripped out. After over 3 years of fighting with the car, that was the last straw. The EFI conversation was largely successful.

I'm back now though - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1PMUPX_91xMFG0lje5URNA
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well good luck this time for sure.
Don't feel bad, I bet all these guys think my 931 is going to end up like that too

JjyKs  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the images still available somewhere? If you have them on your computer could you reupload them, even without a context? I'd be interested to take a look. Imgur seems to keep the uploaded pictures for a very long time (forever? at least my 5 year old pictures are still there).
Bockscar  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JjyKs wrote:
Are the images still available somewhere? If you have them on your computer could you reupload them, even without a context? I'd be interested to take a look. Imgur seems to keep the uploaded pictures for a very long time (forever? at least my 5 year old pictures are still there).

Sure, right now they all live on my Facebook but I'll upload them to an Imgur album at some point soon.
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bockscar wrote:
JjyKs wrote:

Sure, right now they all live on my Facebook but I'll upload them to an Imgur album at some point soon.

Cool, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: