Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Dash Repair
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with using the mat rather than cloth is that I normally use epoxy(West System) and the mat surface treatment is made for using polyester based resin. For me polyester has always been a rather poor adhesive. Granted I normally work with epoxy in a more structural systems than the dash requires, but it is just my normal working material so I just don't think about it.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
sciroccosteve  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious how this has held up, thinking of doing the same to mine
C. Montgomery Burns
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I used the epoxy and fiberglass it has held up very well and the fiberglass is a fine enough weave that it doesn't show thru. I had one crack reopen in the face. If doing it again I'd cover the parts of the face that I could. Around the gages would get pretty dicey.

Since you're in NY what I would do is all the prep work with the filler which takes 90% of the time and then look up Brad Gillespie at Gillespie Paddles who is /or was in Rochester and see if he would do the glassing. He would have all the materials and epoxy and I could supply the glass if needed(its only about $5.00 worth). He does this stuff all the time. If you haven't used fiberglass and epoxy there is a short, but not penalty free learning curve.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Lefty  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results look great and I was wondering How is the dash holding up after 3 years

Cheers

Lefty
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately some of the cracks which I did not fiberglass fave opened up again. The part that works best is where I basically reskinned it. Frankly, I think reskinning is the answer. I did all the more or less horizontal surfaces and ignored the front thinking it wuold get sloppy, I should have continued on with about 2" wide strips over all the vertical cracks. The bed spray on stuff I used covered the seams well enough so that they disappeared. Trying to glass around all the complex curves would get messy, and I have worked this stuff for many years.

I used type 2112 2oz fiberglass available from Sweet Composites(my supplier for the past 30 years), Fiberglast Developments(Expensive) of Fiberglass Supply and many others. I could send the necessary yard in a USPS mailer and It is only about $3 or $4 for the cloth. I used West Epoxy although any of the other thin boat building epoxies would work just as well. If they weren't so expensive to ship around I could do the fiberglassing. The filling takes more time than I care to spend.

Make no mistake, this is still a budget process and does not have nearly the same result as a proper and expensive recover.

If I left something out here sorry, Have a flat tire on the rented skidsteer and have to run off.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: