Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Straight six engine in a 924
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, it may take some time before I have a video of this thing running.....

All the hardware is installed now, there is water and oil in the engine. So I hooked the laptop to the ECU, but the connection fails. I have tried two PCs, changing settings, but to no avail. Under "printers and devices", I can see the ECU, but Tunerstudio will not connect.

Should have bought that Haltech anyway......

"If you can't fix it, don't break it"

/P.G. Andersen
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the proper connection rate and verified the cable is a straighthrough?

Is the MegaSquirt firmware installed and configured?

You can also try running TunerStudio as an administrator as later versions of Winblows can be a little troublesome.

http://www.megamanual.com/connect.htm

http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/troubleshooting_megasquirt_communications.htm
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried different baud rates, but nothing works. There is both a serial and USB connector on the ECU. I use the USB, since there was a cable for that included.

I have a serial to usb cable, which I have tried, but will try again.

I even dragged my old PC from the home office, into the garage and tried connecting that one, but still nothing.

Honestly, I don't know if there is any firmware in the ECU, but nothing in the included documentation states that I have to upload it, so I assume there is.

I contacted the guy who sells these Megasquirts, but he couldn't give me much more help than I already tried.

So I signed up at the MS extra forum, to seek advice. I posted a photo of the ECU, and wrote about the problem. It didn't take long before someone who appeared to be an administrator said this ECU must be a counterfeit, and he closed my account.........

/P.G. Andersen
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alive !!!!

Well sort of, it goes "huf huf huf" for two seconds and stalls

But hearing this was such a relief. Finally the thing works, now it's time to start tuning and getting more familiar with all the different settings in Tunerstudio.

Here is what has happened the last days.

I went and visited the guy who has built the box, and he tested it in his home made equipment. When the box was first fired up, it looked quite strange. Every control lamp on his equipment lid up. He switched it off and on again, and it worked ok. He tested and tested and it was working perfectly, and I could also connect, with my laptop, very strange.

There was actually some base maps in the box, to start up with, I didn't know that.....

Anyway, the conclusion was that there must be something wrong with my installation. I was not happy about that conclusion, since I had been extremely careful and meticulously when I made the wiring.

So home again, I unplugged the Hall sensor at the 36-1 wheel, the tps and the O2. Plugged the box in, and hey, now I have connection with my laptop. I plugged some of the sensors back in, and a config error appeared and I could not calibrate the tps. After some googling, I found out that some settings regarding triggering were wrong.

(Thinking about it afterwards, I don't think it made any difference that I unplugged the connectors, before I hooked the box up again. What I think made the difference, is that it somehow got a "hard reset" in the test rig. I have not changed a thing in my wiring harness.)

OK, now I didn't have any error messages and I could calibrate the tps. I may still need to calibrate the temp sensors, but at this moment I thought, lets turn the key and see what happens.

Nothing.

The rpm gauge on the Tunerstudio dashboard was not moving, so I investigated more into wheel decoder settings and found an excel sheet that could calculate some settings.

Turned the key, and now the rpm gauge works, but still no start. I could see that the crancking rpm was quite slow, barely 200 RPM, so I adjusted the crancking setting to 170 rpm.

Turned the key.
"Huf huf huf huf"

YESS, thats what I wanted to her, finally the whole thing works, more or less.

I don't know how long it will take before I can take a test run, but this was really a milestone.

/P.G. Andersen
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. I always shit myself when starting a new engine... always thinking ... did I do up that bolt/is that bracket loose... what if it blows up all that hard work gone... hehe
nice work... satisfying and rewarding to do this stuff yourself...

pat yourself on the back...
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you're making progress.
Will you be at the "924forty" next year?
924forty is the 40 years of 924 event/meeting in UK.

details here: https://porsche924.co.uk/events/
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Things seems to be going my way now.

Today I had it running at idle speed to 1500 rpm for several minutes. Still a lot of fiddling with the VE table and other settings before I take it on the road.

But it can start and run on all 6, so until now, the injectors seems to be working. They are some re manufactured I bought on Ebay.

The 924-40 event sounds interesting. Maybe I will attend, don't know yet. I will probably not bring the car with me, I'm not happy about taking it too far away from its "home"........

/P.G. Andersen
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? It's not so far away from you. Imagine how far i will be traveling as I'm living in Eastern Europe lol!
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I'm not happy about driving too far. I would never take my everyday car down through Europe.
Well yes, UK is not that far away from Denmark and there is still a ferry (18 hours).

But the thought of ending up in heavy traffic, in a country where they drive in the opposite side of the road, in my car that I never take out in heavy traffic at home, well, that is going to be a challenge.....

Haven't investigated if my classic car insurance covers outside my country.

Hmm, lets see.

/P.G. Andersen
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well look, if you want to go...you will surely join a convoy of 924s coming from germany and other european countries...hopefully i can also go.
So it wont be like you're stranded in trafic...you will be in 924 traffic and somebody who knows their way will lead.
I've driven a RHD 924 in UK in 2007...wasnt so bad actually.
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It strikes me that I haven't posted pictures of the finished result, so here they are.

Finished...?

Well almost, I have taken the car on the road a few times now. I'm getting more and more familiar with the different Megasquirt parameters and the car can drive now. Still runs a bit lean now and then, stalls shortly when accelerating, but when the engine revs up under load, it pulls better that the old 4 banger.

And the sound....Oh lord. Both intake and exhaust really sounds great now. The temporary setup I had last year (34 mm carb/original exhaust) killed the good straight six sound.

Yes, there will be video

I'm not totally happy about the hose going from the throttle body to the air filter, but it works for now.

Here is the 36-1 wheel and hall sensor(not VR) and poly-V belt pulley, instead of the ridiculously huge old triple V belt pulley.

The ECU in place. I only need to figure out how to tuck the vacuum hose away.

/P.G. Andersen
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vi-de-oo !! vi-de-oo !! vi-de-oo !! vi-de-oo !! vi-de-oo !!
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience now.

I've been investigating a problem and finally found it. The tachometer in Tunerstudio was constantly bouncing up and down, 300-400 rpm, which made tuning difficult.

A second I thought, oh no, EMC noise somewhere. But from what I read, a hall sensor is not that sensitive to noise. Tried adjusting the gap between sensor and the 36-1 wheel, but to no avail.

In the end, the problem was my wheel decoder settings. Now the tachometer (in Tunerstudio) is steady and tuning is easier. Today I took the car on the road and ran 100 km/h(63 mph) for at short time, felt so great to hear the engine spin a little.

/P.G. Andersen
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a short video I shot in my driveway today.

https://youtu.be/w3bAm_ECONQ

As you can see and hear, I still have some tuning to do (smokes and a little sputter) so I don't want to redline the engine. On the video, I think I just passed 3000 rpm.

I'm still using the original ignition, but it doesn't work right. According to specs, it should be set to 8degr BTDC, without vacuum. When I connected the vacuum hose afterwards, and checked the timing, it has advanced to approx 35degr BTDC, which causes the engine to "ping", when idling cold and idle rough when warm.

I have retarded the ignition so much that it almost doesn't ping, when idling cold, but that has cost some power.

I don't like that pinging, so I will leave it as it is now, retarded, and drive the rest of the season. The winter project is to install either wasted spark or modify the distributor so I can control the ignition with the Megasquirt.

/P.G. Andersen
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats nice but i expected some on the road 5000RPM noise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: