Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 from Fairbanks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captbadjim  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: 931 from Fairbanks Reply with quote

I reciently purchased a 924 Turbo from a party in Fairbanks Ak. I had the car shipped to Wa. I have been tinkering with it. I replaced the timing belt 1st thing over heated the engine replaced the head gasket and thermo switch. the car runs OK but when warms up oil gushes out the dip stick I have flushed the crank case with gasoline and there is still know difference in leakage. It looks like this has been a problem for a while based on the condition of the engine compartment. There is a bit of gear grinding between 1st and 2nd and doun shifting into first. the car is not pristine but pretty strait without bad rust. I am at a cross road do I part out the car or make her a driver? Are there any thoughts on the oil comming from the dip stick?

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh512/Captbadjim/cee56e49.jpg

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh512/Captbadjim/014b075d.jpg

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh512/Captbadjim/336b8603.jpg

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh512/Captbadjim/3e041f7c.jpg

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh512/Captbadjim/36d7fe0a.jpg
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummage on the problems. Most likely the oil spurting is related to the breather apparatus on the driver side of the car. Start the old gal up, pull the hose from the bottom of the air cleaner, see if there's anything coming out of it. Excessive crankcase pressure will do what you have experienced.

The four bolt hubs mean, drums in the back, which are not easy to keep in adjustment. There are those out there that have these cars and upgrade to five-lug discs all around. Hey, I have a set of those if yer interested!

The car must be an '80? If so, the G31 transmission is a strong transmission, but is a biach to shift. Common problem with old trannies with no servicing or decent gear oil, which equals bad synchros. Not much you can do here, decent oil will not change a 32 year old worn-out transmission much!

You have to decide on how much you want to work on the car. They can be a bit frustrating. Also, not knowing what the PO has done or not done to the car, can produce headaches. Hands-on wrenching is about the only way to keep these cars on the road. If you're not interested in that, then just sell it. Shops have little clue on these cars, and will charge a ton of cash to frustrate you further. Good Luck!
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
Captbadjim  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was talking to a friend of mine who thought it might a bad seal in the trubo? I would blow through the oil return line into the crank case. Has any one found that to be the problem? I am pretty much a hobby wrencher and can do most anything. The syncs in the trany what's the fix. How hard is it to replace with another trans from a 944? The car still factory. It sat in a garage from 1997 till now. I don't think any body has modified it just somebodys daily driver in Fairbanks. Dirty and old.

Thanks
Jim
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Turbo has nothing to do with it. You might have blow-by with bad rings, and exhaust entering the crankcase. If the breather tube is clogged, then the pressure has to go some where, usually thru the tube.

For the turbo, on top, you have a green vitron hi-pressure seal, if it's blown, you have a massive oil leak when car is running. The bottom oil return line o-ring, is less pressurized, and if worn, will drip oil on pavement.

The following is stuff you might do, along with, 'while you're in there' stuff to do. Your time is going to be spent on pulling the engine, and resealing the front and rear main seals, new head gasket, new valve cover gaskets, new oil pan gasket, honing the block, reringing the pistons, checking compression, checking main and rod bearings, probably new clutch master and slave cylinders, new brake master cylinder, new clutch disk, reconditioned flywheel, and on and on. The car has sat since '97 for a reason, or more than one reason.

I just am about to complete all of the above on an above-average '81 car. It's worth it. I can do most of the work, other than align-honing the block. Even with the car lift I have, the job has sucked quite a bit!
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transmission can be replaced with a later model 5-speed Audi unit. Either from an '81-82 turbo car, or an early model 944. However, you'll have to modify the stock rear torsion carrier, basically, cut off the arms that held the G31. Then, the shift lever, the shift rods, the torque tube, a biggy here, all have to be changed out. Not for the faint of heart, but it can be done. If you're interested in doing all of that, there's no reason not to upgrade to a five lug setup. Shameless plug for selling a five lug, of course!
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
Captbadjim  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Might be more than I am into at this point. If the paint and body were in better shape I might try. As for now any body looking for a parts car? 🏁
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: