Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My narrow 951 project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Each with their own i guess, like you also said..i like old cars with newer wheels

Morghen, don't get me wrong, I think your car is exactly what I would copy if I went wide body... I don't have any need for a hood scoop or vented nose panel, and the 951 bumper would hint at whats beneath the hood. I also like that wide bodies can be done up where to where they rolled off the assembly line yesterday, but the narrow body has a problem where it is stuck either looking like its from the '70's or '80's... not that there's anything wrong with that, especially since I bought this car specifically because I love '80's cars. However, I think that only the phone dials make it look like it's from the '80's, while even a newer set of rims just makes it look like a '70's car with rims. That's just my opinion though.

That stanced 931 that F2 built is a great, but rare exception of how sexy a narrow body can be when modernized. However, I'm more of a factory color/factory rim guy... if you know what I mean... but all is not lost, since I feel that there are still some awesome mods that can be done within that context too... such as a 951 engine in a 924S

morghen wrote:
But i really dont like tucked in wheels. It shows lack of potency in my opinion..and yea your car is a sleeper but you have to give some sort of hint that "something is not right" with that car.

You are absolutely right, and I do intend to fix that!

morghen wrote:
I dont think that handling will change or you will feel any change going from one set of wheels to another...even if you change the tire size a little.

Right, I don't think it will make too much of a difference, but I'll probably use the same setup as the early off-set 951's, then I think I'll have my handling baseline set and start improving on it from there. I don't want to just throw some 8" rims on in the back without dialing out the under-steer first... and I think the early 951 handling should suffice for a daily driver.

Edit: wasn't there 16" x 8" phone dials used on the 928 that would be the correct offset to use on the rear? I'm not that familiar with the 928...
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver

Last edited by edredas on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbarc wrote:
If I was to do a narrow body 951.....I'd prefer to do it as a updated 931.....so my goal would be different and I love the vented nose panel and vented hood.

But I really do admire the sleeper effect you are after.....that is a PILE of fun when you run into other people looking down on your gutless 924...only to be shown something quite different.

I was in second gear getting on the highway today, and while it might only have ~220hp, it will put a huge smile on your face... I only wish that it was more aggressive looking, but that's not really a big deal to me, and I'm sure there are plenty of ways to overcome that without going wide-body.

Edit: I like the looks of the 931 too, but feel they are dated, not in a bad way, I would love to have one like CarreraRSR, but I just happen to think that the 924S looks like a 'newer' car; if you know what I mean. So, I wanted to do this as if Porsche had actually built a late '80's version as a turbo S. I feel that they would have only made subtle changes in appearance and stayed away from the 'flash' of the 931...

Cédric wrote:
Noooo, dont go fo widebody, then you could have just bought a 951 instead. You car is on another level of compared to a 951, dont ruin it

HAHA, thanks... I will give you my word that I will not go wide-body!
edredas  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new camera the other day, which gave me the excuse to finally wash my nasty car. While I have tons of pictures of my car, I'm always trying to get that 'one' perfect shot of it. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm going to try again tomorrow...

GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas wrote:
I'm always trying to get that 'one' perfect shot of it. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm going to try again tomorrow...

I think this one comes close

edredas  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I had my friend drive around while I took some pictures and shot some video. I'll post the video once I get it edited.

morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots
edredas  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, here's a few from today. I came across this lake while driving around and couldn't resist getting a few shots.

edredas  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished editing the video. It is cheesy. I shot all the footage in one afternoon of messing around, so don't expect much. I am not a movie maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd-Vpt69JUk

Since, I still see a lot of questions on other forums about how to do this swap, I'm thinking of making a few post that go into great detail on how to do it. This will hopefully give everyone the knowledge to tackle this project without feeling like they are doing it blindly. I used the PET and Workshop manual as a guide since 951 forums were literally no help. The largest forum was just a bunch of guys sitting around patting themselves on the back.

In these posts, I will give a breakdown of parts you need for early and late cars. This will include a side-by-side comparison of parts, a breakdown of the wiring diagrams, and things to look out for.

I've also seen several people that are interest in this swap. If you pay a random shop to figure it out, you will pay a lot of money. However, if you're truly interested in having this swap done, I can work with you on financing and probably get you in one for starting about $7k. I can build it to your specs with all yellow-zinc parts and any body style; from the 924 turbo to the Carrera GT. We can do the bodywork and paint too, all done to factory specifications. While I am still waiting to finish up my shop, I just thought I'd throw this out there. I didn't start this thread with the intentions of making money, I just thought I'd offer this service to those who were interested, but lacked the time or skills to make it happen. Feel free to ask any questions!
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas wrote:
I finished editing the video. It is cheesy. I shot all the footage in one afternoon of messing around, so don't expect much. I am not a movie maker.

It's a good vid. Music is well chosen. I just noticed that the 924S doesn't have much in the way of entrance points for cool air. But I never hear you complain of heat soak with the 951 motor. Seems very different from the 931 experience. Do you have any views on this?
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, there is zero issues with heat soak. The 924S inlet is gigantic; of course the size of the inlet will greatly depend on your cooling setup. It actually runs cooler now than it did before I added the turbo. However, it does get hotter faster if I'm idling, but as soon as the fans kick on it cools down instantly. When I was at the dragstrip back in July and August, it was idling for a long time after hard runs, but I never had any issues, and never once had to pop the hood.
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, I also thought that I'd mention that the inlet on the 924S probably isn't any bigger than the one on the 924 turbo. So it isn't clear why the 924 turbo suffers so badly with heat soak. I'm sure I could throw out some ideas, but I'll leave speculation of that nature to other forums...

Later on, I'll try and cover the cooling system in one of my longer posts, and maybe some of this stuff will be helpful to 924 turbo owners.

Since I'm heading to the Atlanta meet this weekend, I've been rushing to finish up some projects. Firstly, I've been working on two engines that made me laugh. Both are 2.5 liters without balance-shafts from the factory. One is a GM and the other a Chrysler. I guess someone needs to notify these engineers that this is dangerous... and tell marine engine builders to stop buying these engines up and boring them out to 3.0 liters.

Anyway, I'll go over some of this stuff as well for any racing guys that might come across this thread.

But, back on topic...

Previously, I had thought that my radiator cap was why I was loosing coolant, but it turns out I was coming from the radiator all this time! ...but luckily it was nothing serious. There's a plastic nipple on the 944 radiator that can't be turned much more than finger tight or else it will break, and it had come loose. I only had to tighten it up. Afterwards it burped out all the air, and it doesn't get hot as fast at idle anymore. So now the problem really is fixed.

Also, I'm going on the mountain run on Sunday, so I wanted to make sure my tires were in top shape. I had planned to buy new ones, but found out they were under warranty! AWW YEEAAHHH!

I would have done this along time ago if I had known that!

GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas wrote:

Since I'm heading to the Atlanta meet this weekend, I've been rushing to finish up some projects. Firstly, I've been working on two engines that made me laugh. Both are 2.5 liters without balance-shafts from the factory. One is a GM and the other a Chrysler. I guess someone needs to notify these engineers that this is dangerous... and tell marine engine builders to stop buying these engines up and boring them out to 3.0 liters.

Those non-balance shaft 2.5 liter 4cyl motors must be so smooth to drive!
edredas  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have to put it in perspective. I've been reading this board for over a decade now and don't recall anyone ever complaining about how badly the 2.0 liter in the 924 vibrates... but that's all the automotive journalist could ever talk about.

I mean, these 2.5 liter engines are dirt cheap and they are usually put in cars that are dirt cheap. I don't think that anyone in their right mind would fault a cheap car for feeling "buzzy"... but the problem was that the 924 was a rather expensive car with a "cheap" engine.

Basically, all you're trying to do with balance shafts is make a dirt cheap engine feel like a more expensive one to some degree... it still doesn't fix the pulsating power delivery, so you'll never see a inline four in a luxury car, but these engines without shafts are not actually that bad for what they are, IMO. As far as vibrations go, you probably wouldn't notice them anymore than you would notice those in your 924.
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWs and Audis come with inline fours. Some people consider those luxury cars. Unless it's a seven series or an A8 I would be inclined to disagree with them. Neither of those cars come with an inline four.
edredas  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might seem 'luxurious' to those moving up from a Camry, but to some people the vibrations found in an inline-four are completely unacceptable. Some these vibrations are less of a problem, or non-existent in more expensive engine configurations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: