Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

early 924 headlight question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itbracer85porky  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: early 924 headlight question Reply with quote

Hello all. I am working on my 1977 D production replica. When I turn on just the parking lights, the headlights pop up, but are not on in the middle switch position. All the lights work just like on my 944, but I dont think the headlights should pop up in the middle switch position. Is this correct? If there is a fault, any thoughts on where it could be? Bad switch or relay?
2010 Ford F150 Supercrew
2012 Nissan 370 sport pack
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the relay is just a standard relay same as used for several other components, so you should be able to pop out the A/C or radio relay and swap it in to test (the one on the motor). The relay from your 944 should work too. The buckets should not lift when the running lights are on, and there should be no current going to the headlight motor in that position, so it is more likely to be a fault in the switch, as those things do go bad (and can cause melted wires!), but I would see about eliminating the relay as a variable first...
itbracer85porky  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that would be great. There are two early 924's at the scrapyard right up the street from me that I could get a replacement switch to try. I just went through a ton of headlight trouble with my recently restored 944. I had no driver side high beam, and it did indeed melt some wires at the switch, and killed the switch too!
Thanks a million for the info. I will give it a try.
2010 Ford F150 Supercrew
!tom  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: early 924 headlight question Reply with quote

itbracer85porky wrote:
Hello all. I am working on my 1977 D production replica. When I turn on just the parking lights, the headlights pop up, but are not on in the middle switch position.

That's how it works on my '78.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, that sounds correct for the early cars... but could be adjusted, IIRC, by rewiring or replacing the headlight switch with a later one. I think.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
itbracer85porky  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have replaced both the relay and the switch with brand new ones, and I still have the same problem (headlight popping up on the driving light setting). Any other ideas out there? Could it be something shorting out in the motor itself? Thoughts?
2010 Ford F150 Supercrew
staticsan  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the actuator disk on the lifting motor and its associated wiring is different in the earliest cars. The Haynes diagram is different, I do know that. I daresay replacing or rewiring that will likely be required to alter its behaviour.

Wade.
vatoisimo  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever figure out what the problem was. I am having the same issue...

Jim
larchie  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different models of 924 and 944 operate a little differently as discussed in part on the Pelican Board. If you read circuit diagrams,, Clark's Garage has some good troubleshooting tips in the Headlight Motor Circuit - Operation and Repair which, with your model's wiring diagram, can be straightforwardly adapted. Generally, the problem of the headlights raising in the first position is solved by a new switch as ideola states above. If you have an early 924, normal operation includes this odd behavior: after the headlights are raised and on in the second position of the switch, and then when switching back to the first position, the lights go off and but headlamps remain raised.
vatoisimo  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand that a bit better, and I will check the relay tomorrow. That being said, the issue I am having is that the headlights pop up when I hook up the battery, and it doesn't matter what I do with the switch, they stay up. Or If I hook up the linkage opposite, they will not come up..........??? I have 3 wires and the plug in has a jumper that feeds off of the grey wire. this matches the current flow diagram in the Haynes manual. the red always has power, and when you flip the switch the gray and red have power. hmm maybe it is the relay.....yep will check that tomorrow. Thanks!

Jim
scm924s  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the euro spec early car, the operation you describe is correct, the lights pop up on switch position 1 but only the lower sidelights operate, position 2 brings in main beam.
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
brian19600  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: headlight Reply with quote

From page 16 of the 1978 Porsche 924 owners manual:

"Tail lights, sidemarker lights, license plate and instrument lights are on in both switch positions.
The retractable headlamps open when depressing the switch to the first stop."
vatoisimo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! wiring to motor Relay: replaced, not the problem Motor: study the wiring diagram and fiddle with the motor. jump power to every connection and I discovered: A BAD DIODE! So, $1 diode, a little cutting/soldering and WHAM! lights go up and down! thank you everyone for all the info and links!

Cheers

Jim
larchie  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! I never would have guessed! Thanks for posting back to the board; I was curious what you would come up with -- having found the solution to a similar problem in a 924 a few years ago being the contacts in the motor assembly.
vatoisimo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I have 2 motors. so I cut the rubber boot off of the rougher looking one. right under the relay, and the plug in; are 2 diodes as shown in the Haynes electrical diagram. On both motors they were bad. Meaning that they would allow current to return back to the circuit. or in the case of the good motor, would not flow any current. On the cleaner motor I cut a circular hole in the boot which allowed me to do my surgery. Now I just need to figure out how to seal it back up. was thinking of using some shrink wrap. Maybe the same stuff they use to seal boats up for the winter....what do you guys think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: