Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

LS1 Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: LS1 Build Reply with quote

So far the projects going well, been a while on it but only cause I'm in no rush...
This is the 245kw SS motor, spec stage 1 clutch, shortened torque tube carrier, 3" stainless exhaust, modified stainless headers, ford hydroboost conversion, EPAS steering conversion, modified x member/engine mounts
rebuilt relay/fuse box and body loom.
Waiting for a few parts still to arrive, need to reinstall wiring and mount a few parts, finish rear exhaust etc...
Stu

Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice Stu, finish date is faster then mine u hope
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
macBdog  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Stu, let me know if you find anything neat for the front sway bar!
I'm still convinced the word 'Porsche' makes people crazy in all kinds of ways
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, still progressing, slowly... went to mount the computer today under the battery tray, and spend the rest of the day starting repairs to the corner near the firewall where previous battery/water had corroded from the inside. What a crap position to grind out.

Mac -Using a 944 sway bar, was a bit of a job cutting out the old mounts, welded in some 6mm plates with studs for the drop links and tapped holes for the support brace (3mm bar).
Also finished the exhaust system albeit welding the tip on.. 2.5" cats into 3" straight through design..
Stu

macBdog  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh you moved the sway bar mounts, fair play.

Exhaust looks super nice, stainless and everything. You get extra points for doing it with the car on the ground.

Is this a road car build or track toy?
I'm still convinced the word 'Porsche' makes people crazy in all kinds of ways
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, was looking at GeorgeV's car when he was around here, nice ride... I keep forgetting just how low these cars are to the ground....
anyway he has the 944 sway bar setup on his 931 with the steel A arms so took some measurements and worked out it would essentially bolt up... also a single 3" exhaust. Worked out the argon cost me about the same as the parts... still have to make up the heat shields though

I guess it depends if I can get it engineered or not, any recommendations you know of...?? I'd like to keep it on the road if possible if only as a club car too...
Stu
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stu,

I'm glad to see your build is coming along nicely. Once I get my car back I will come up to have a look. I can ask my mech for a recommendation on the engineering cert, if that's what you're asking?

G
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah mate, that would be cool, I managed to find a good engineer about 4 yrs back but have since lost his number...
away for another couple of weeks in Rocky,
Stu
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still progressing,
Trans sensor is mounted and working on the oil pan, learning to mig weld aluminium atm, doing three passes and then grinding back, all in all pretty happy so far apart from all the tiny splatter you have to clean up... not sure if this is my settings or nature of the beast, comments are welcome if you've experience the same, the setup it .8 wire through a teflon liner, around 22/23V and wire speed is 232 , I have no idea why it has this reading as it's not in ipm... range varies between 20 and 280.
I will be moving the pickup approx 10mm too and thinking of adding some baffles into the bottom of the pan. If anyone has experience on design/height for these I'd appreciate the input here too.

GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, Stu.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeV wrote:
Looks good, Stu.

+1

any updates?
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the oil pickup and almost finished the pan, need to add the drain plug and breather return port, which will be the 931 purlator, then work on the extra slush baffle on the bottom of the pan, I was thinking of a simple rim around the pickup circumference at about 10mm height, or a couple of straight sections that run the full length front to back of the pan, just not sure what height would be reasonably effective and to be able to drain majority of the oil out on changes, suggestions welcome here...

This is the oil pickup clearance at 5mm, + 3mm for the gasket

morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for a video of this thing running.
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other stuff I've been doing,

Turned out the Volvo 4 pots were too far going tolerance to be serviced so went to plan B... The other thing about the Volvo swap is they are design for a much small rotor and need to be clearanced accordingly.
The new calipers are RX7 series 3 and also alloy, the stock single piston Porsche weigh approx 5.4kg, the Volvos are also Iron, with the RX7 calipers around 3.2kg, slightly smaller 32mm pistons,
The next adapter drawing comes with a disclaimer, use at your own risk, if you are CAD savvy I might even offer up the dxf file. A note that the original measurements had the caliper sitting 1mm lower but I made the decision to move them up in order to get them made from 40mm bar stock. your choice to go for an offset of .5mm either side of centre... etc etc
caliper sitting loosely on the rotor, btw does not interfere with stock dust shield

this is the new fuse panel and ecu mounted, once I've tested everything is firing up it will get the final conduit treatment, the fuse panels come from mouser and are configurable in a few different ways.
A word of warning the Mouser site is a royal PITA to find what you're looking for...
http://au.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=12092741
http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Delphi-Connection-Systems/15423524/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduj%252b0GEhsmX3VxmoFT9CabXbSmZZLfqWgI8%3d
http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Delphi-Connection-Systems/12146815/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujxKTkbFrhDp8lF%2fNjVPJAQY9rSDYQrkH0%3d
you need to get the 280 and 630 series connector for the mini fuses and relays respectively, locking combs and fuses/relays etc etc
The base holds three boards, I have two bases and 6 boards. Two boards are the mixed 2 mini relay/12 fuse boards and the other 4 are regular relay mounting boards which can do the wiper and flasher relay pin configs...handy.

Stu
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Stu!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: