Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Bigger Brakes and Swaybars, Shocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions over the stock 931? I'm wide open for suggestions.
John H  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends what you are using the car for. Fast road the brakes are ok with decent pads for racing four pot caliphers should be on the shopping list.
Sway bars again depends on personal preferences - I run a 25 mm front bar and 18mm rear bar. Koni externally adjustable sport shocks, 300 lb front springs and 27 mm rear torsion bars.
can handles real well sits flat, but is harsh on the road. For normal road use I use 215 x 60 x 15 tyres and racing 205 x 50 x 15 front and 225 x 50 x 15 rear
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that's softer sitll that I run, but then again it's a dedicated race car... 400lb springs up front, 30mm rear t-bars, 18mm rear swaybar, from 23mm swaybar... but my shocks are still garbage... going to Bilstein race units. TBD. Brakes are still stock w/ KFP Gold race pads.

What do you want to do with it?

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still making plans. At the moment, it will be streetable 931 q ship. Innocuos looking, wicked underneath with the only visible clues being, lowered, fat tires, exhaust note. I'm shooting for a 300+lb weight reduction. As for suspension, I know of guys doing all sorts of stuff to the 951s, what I'm looking for is some info from someone who has been there and done that, and what happened. I'm thinking the car will need larger brake calipers, rotors, swaybars. That's open for discussion, including spring rates and coilover conversions. I purchased the car with the engine and drivetrain removed and a resto semi started. Now is the time to make the suspension and engine choices since I'll be attending to the body without interference from those parts. That means the suspension and drivetrain can be radically altered before reinstallation. This isn't my daily driver, so being laid up for some time isn't an issue. The only caveat is that I don't want to so radically alter the car as to make it very difficult to get into any PCA club racing class later on, ergo, things like moving suspension pickups is out for the most part. I am wide open to suggestions as right now, all I'm doing is parts cleaning and assessing the condition of the parts.

Dave Miller
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across some koni's they have 2 kinds 1 for 80 clams 1 for 90
http://www.classicgarage.com/classicgarage/92492924tur9.html
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get my hands on a set of sways from a stock 951, will they bolt up. I'm thinking they're 28f18r.

Brakes- What are the options for a 4 piston setup and larger rotors (more swept area=better stopping power, usually). Braided steel lines are definate. Has anyone tried to used stronger brakes from any other model?

I have a set of 250# front springs from a 951, but I don't think they will bolt up.

Dave
John H  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-04 09:11, Dave951M wrote:
I can get my hands on a set of sways from a stock 951, will they bolt up. I'm thinking they're 28f18r.

Not sure on the rear but the front's have different mounting points/ fixings where they bolt on to the lower A arm.
Quote:

Brakes- What are the options for a 4 piston setup and larger rotors (more swept area=better stopping power, usually). Braided steel lines are definate. Has anyone tried to used stronger brakes from any other model?

To get bigger brakes you will need to change the front hubs or make an adapter to fit as the bolt centres of the 951 calipers are different. I think the early 930 caliper might fit but it a matter of trial and error. Let us know what you find so we can all upgrade. The large area plus additional pots will definitely help in a race type environment at high horsepower.

Quote:

I have a set of 250# front springs from a 951, but I don't think they will bolt up.
Dave

I think the diameter of the spring is different on the 931/951 so unless you change the complete strut you can't use them.

[ This Message was edited by: John H on 2002-07-04 10:17 ]
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear sway bar will work fine, but make sure that you get the center mounting brackets with the sway bar. They make different sizes for the rear, and there are different center mounting brackets to fit.

The sway bar center mounts are different in the front between the 924/931, and the 944/951. You can't run a 944/951 sway bar on a 924, unless you have a late 82 924/931 with the 944/951 center mounts.
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By center mounts I take it to mean the brackets that encase the bushing. If that is the case, I can get the those or make them if necessary. I'm still thinking on making my own bushings from a graphic/poly plastic I saw at a plastics house some time ago. These are easy to do on a lathe (got one). That should eliminate most of the movement from the ideal geometric location and the plastic in question is self-lubricating to a degree from the graphite in it.

I have another question about wheels. This car came with the stock 928 flat discs. Has anyone tried any other 16 inch wheels?

Dave
John Brown  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave 951, just a question, are you sure they are the stock 928 flat dish? Or the same style wheel but with a 477 part number and only 6 inches wide?

BTW, the real difficulty with wheels on the 924/931 vs the 944/951 is that you are 'caught' between the fender and the springs. 928 flat dish (7 inche wide) start to get real close to the stock front springs for instance.

Others on the board probably know more than I, but take a look at the adjustable kit sold by Paragon Products. For not much more than the cost of Weltmeister springs you get a complete adjustable front end with much smaller diameter Hypercoil springs. The Hypercoils can be purchased in any rate you desire.

The 944 front swaybar inner brackets can be used; you have to fabricate an attache point for them. Or as someone said, have a REALLY late chassis number with the nutplates already in the framerails! But then, you also have to swap out to the early 944 steel or late aluminum arms. So the chain reaction starts to get long. Many/most of the full track cars end up with roughly the same geometry as the 931 but with adjustable drop links. So, consider staying with that. PCA Club racing will allow you install aftermarket antisway, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: