Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Engine Rebuilds---
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John that tactic you employ, using an indirect empirical measure of the air/fuel mixture is what I intend to do to my car. I've got the digital gauge, but laziness and procrastination are gettting in the way. I've got the gauge, and I've been putting off installing it to the O2 sensor. But that's definitely a good way to get a start on the answer to the question "Can I run more boost?"
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An air/fuel meter is on the agenda for both the 951 and the 931. I've looked at several ways of doing it, including a diy electronic one. With the meter and an in-cockpit adjustable fuel pressure regulator, higher boost should be entirely safe within the mechanical limits of the bottom end of the engine. I'm shooting for 15psi street, with occasional peaks to 18-20psi. Now for fun stuff- is there a widefire headgasket for this car or do I have to get crazy and o-ring?

Dave
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is just an LCD meter with two green LED lights I'm hooking up to light it up at night. Just have to solder on a couple of resistors and it'll read the voltages I need.

I asked about widefire headgaskets around my local community and didn't turn up anything for the 931. After a while I wondered if I really needed one anyway.

What's the rationale behind 'O ringing' the block? Is it necessary with this kind of installation you're planning?

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2002-07-05 23:27 ]
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, O-Ringing effectively makes your block and head one piece. You weld a ring of metal to the block around each cylinder and grind out a corresponding ring in the head.

Up-side - no more blown head gaskets.

Down-side - more blown engines.

Basically, as the head gasket can't act as an over-compression fuse that job gets passed on to the pistons or rods or crank.

Ya gotta ask yaself, what would you rather loose, a $20 head gasket or an entire motor.
924_fan  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that to o-ring an engine a groove is cut into the block around each cylinder bore. These grooves are then filled with a metal wire o-ring made of either stainless steel or copper.

Isky Racing sells a tool to cut the grooves on V8 engines.

[ This Message was edited by: 924_fan on 2002-07-06 09:38 ]
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ring the engine, just install Raceware head studs, washers, and nuts . This setup provides alot more clamping force, plus I haven't re-torqued it since I rebuilt the engine 5 or 6 years ago.

ML-320 for snow and towing whatever's broke...

I'm not a professional mechanic anymore, but I've been playing one at home for 30 years.

[ This Message was edited by: Paul on 2002-07-06 11:26 ]
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm even contemplating the possible boost levels are-

1) the turbo will have to be rebuilt anyway
2) the bottom end is a truck motor
3) stock compression is 8:1

O ringing the head can help with sealing, a bit of insurance when working at 15+ psi levels. The size of the crank and rod journals is massive for an engine of this displacement, I see no reason it can't hold up to a steady diet of 15+psi. The problem as I see it is the fuel system, arguing for higher pressure initially, switching to a larger injector next. The A/C knob will be removed, along with all their related components and replaced by a manual boost controller and an air/fuel meter. I can also lay my hands on a 951 intercooler as well. My nose panel is toast and will have to be replaced anyway, why not with a large intercooler under it? Has anyone on this board tried the 951 intercooler, what were the results?

Dave
Joes924  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave do the msd youll get a boost alright..
I use a msd6 with a separate soft touch rev control I like the boost.

[ This Message was edited by: Joes924 on 2002-08-28 15:20 ]
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 951 intercooler has been done with success by guys here...
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-03 10:33, John H wrote:
I sort of disagree with you lars.

My 931(937 replica) has done 260,000 miles we repl;aced the big end shells at 80,000 miles due to a blown headgasket, oil pressure is normally around 8 to 10 bar on start up (cold) and drops to 5 to 6 bar while running. I've also runa mechanical guage to check that the Porsche supplied electrical one is accurate and while it changes a bit when the lights come on it is pretty accurate.
I also run twin oil coolers which helps keep the pressure up.
I have also seen the a couple of 931's spin bearings so some have good pressure, others don't.
I beleive it come sdown to what the first owners used and how the car has been maintained.
Mine was owned by BP Oil initialy and did heaps of miles in the first two years and had regular oil/ filter changes (more often than recommended) the next owner had it converted to Carrera Gt specs and it was well maintained.
I continued the trend by changing both oil and filter at 5000 mile interval using a good quality oil. As I was running in a race series sponsored by an oil company I got buckets load of oil. In fact I ran inteh series for four / five years and still had enough oil left over to carry on the regular changes for the next three years.

I agree completely. My main point is that most 931/924 owners are assholes, and do not realize that the 924 engine is "loose", drive hard, so expect bearing failure to be common.

Whereas: most honda owners are old farts that drive their car to work. They don't have bearing failures, and they aren't a loose engine so when they take it into lubex to get the oil done, it's not bad. When a 931 owner (asshole) takes it in to lubex, it's bad....cuz lubex doesn't know the 931 is loose. Also, most honda owners take their cars into the dealer, or their mechanic to get fixed, when there is a problem. On the other hand, most 931 owners (assholes), run the #### out of their engines, and when their is a head gasket blow, they keep driving it, and don't have a mechanic, and don't take the car to the dealer. So expect bearing failure to be common.

Sorry to get off topic and rant.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars, I guess I'm one of them there assholes that doesn't realize the engine is loose.

What's 'loose'? Can that be simply defined?

Or are you using some kind of argot that only engine builders understand? If so, what's it mean?
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long winter Lars or just get hammered in the markets???

I sincerely hope that you meant that some 931 owners are a$$es in that they flog the car with no regard for proper maintenance. Flog anything without care and it WILL fall apart, I don't care if it speaks english, japanese or german. This is a very simple equation in any language-

NO Maint + Flogging + Stupid Owner = DEAD CAR

I drive my 951 hard often, but keep up with the maintenance. It's a great car, but it isn't a car for Joe Average, too much expensive upkeep if Joe Average doesn't know a combo from a box end wrench (spanner for some of you guys.) That said, I'll get back to my engine building planning for this winter. Had a turbo setback, but that is being handled. Car will be mounted on a frame next week and the suspension removed for cleaning, r&r, and upgrading. While I have the control arms off, I'll take them to work, box them, put on new ball joints, and set them up to recieve a bigger sway from probably a 951.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am likewise in the planning stages of a 931 build. I have a couple of questions too.

Digital ignition, what are the differences between North American and ROW? Also, is there any reason why a late digital system couldn't be put on a series 1 car?

Turbo upgrades, has anyone actually done this yet? From what I am told, the 931 K26 doesn't last very long, and is expensive to replace. I know lots of 951/930 people, and even rice burners have upgraded to Garrett turbos, for better reliability, and lower cost.

Also, thanks for all the info guys
Dave951M  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "loose" we used to mean that the engine tolerances were on the + side. By tight, we meant the opposite. This can be controlled by careful matching of bearing size to the grind on the crank journals. Same holds for the pistons, rings, and wrist pins. Not sure what Lars is referring to, if all 924/931 cars were that bad, Porsche would have gone out of business from the sheer volume of warranty and liability claims long ago. There may also have been a problem with the owners using the wrong grade of oil. I use strictly 20W50 Valvoline Racing in my 951 with no problems. There is a raging controversy about synthetic vs. dino. What is generally agreed to is that the synthetic will find and flow from every nook and cranny to leak from that dino wouldn't even show so much as a wet spot. Each has its supporters.
John H  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
On 2002-07-24 11:09, Cbass wrote:
I am likewise in the planning stages of a 931 build. I have a couple of questions too.

Digital ignition, what are the differences between North American and ROW? Also, is there any reason why a late digital system couldn't be put on a series 1 car?
[/unquote]
You can retro fit the digital ignition but you need all the components, control box, flywheel, flywheel sensor, distributor, throttle sensor etc etc. probably easier to pick up a series II, or at least the engien complete with flywheel and bell housing (with mounting point for sensor)
Quote:
Turbo upgrades, has anyone actually done this yet? From what I am told, the 931 K26 doesn't last very long, and is expensive to replace. I know lots of 951/930 people, and even rice burners have upgraded to Garrett turbos, for better reliability, and lower cost.

The turbo's can last a long time if the car is maintained well and also a good quality oil used dino or synthetic, turbo timer used to ensure the charger cools down after a run - and the car is not thrashed straight from start up. My turbo charger has done well over 100k miles and still running strong - has a couple of cracks in the exhaust housing but these have been there for the last 10 years so I'm not worried about them.
Biggest problem about swapping to another brand is mounting it. If you want to chaneg the manifold and mounting position any turbo can be made to fit. Going to a garret means doing a hybrid to match the exhaust flange. Get a garret and compare it with your KKK and you'll see the difference.

[ This Message was edited by: john h on 2002-07-24 15:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: John H on 2002-07-24 15:11 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: