Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

borla exhaust for 931

View previous topic :: View next topic  
81turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am considering buying a Borla cat back from a 951 for my 931. The claim is that this unit gives a 12hp gain on a 951. Do you guys think it would have any hp value on a 931? Is the factory system restrictive? It seems pretty huge to me, what do you think?

Ryan
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is bigger than the 924S and 944 and from what I can tell either the same or bigger than a 951.

I just did some comparison for a guy needing a 931 exhaust and I was very surprised to see it being larger than the 2.5 liter cars. So the exhaust on a 931 is not restrictive to any measure.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
81turbo  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

come one guys, what no advice? thanks Bob
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bet on winning the Indy with a Borla exhaust. I'd go with a 944 one or 931 any day. Unless you're going for a 3" exhaust and can benefit from the cooling, I can't see the benefit. After all, you've got a cat there, right?
John H  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carried out some tests in the late 80's on a factory stainless steel system (euro) for a 931 and various other combinations and found the factory system was almost spot on.

Some performance gains can be found by playing with the mufflers but the size of the pipe is pretty musch righ unless you start playing with really high boost.

To gain the best out come you need to spend time on a rolling road dyno. I had access to one then and the only cost was my time in swapping the exhausts systems over. At the end for racing I still used the standard system unless I was on a short tight course in which case I took the back muffler off and ran a 3 inch pipe gave a bit power down low (not much more) but meant that I could dump about 10 to 20 kilos of weight in the back muffler and associated brackets. On long courses the removal of the back muffler caused me to lose places so it went back on.

[ This Message was edited by: John H on 2002-07-01 09:30 ]
81turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am proud to say that I did not buy the exhaust (ie saved $200) but that is only because it was damaged in the crash. This guys car was really messed up. As far as the exhaust, it was very nice but damaged. Also I am not running a cat. I do have one on the car but it is REALLY hollow. P.S. don't tell California! thanks John for the insite.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cat is hollow, and you've got a stock 931 exhaust, you've probably got the best combination you can get.
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a side pipe with a shorter exhaust? I'd say since it's a turbo the stock exhaust could lose a few bends and turns. Shorten it up until the flame starts coming out, then lengthen it LOL. I plan to run a straight through muffler out the side behind the front wheel but don't know where to hang it and don't really have time... Will sound cool even if it only gets 1HP in the high RPMS, since the cops don't care here and no emmissions in EDMONTON.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what I'd like? A STRAIGHT PIPE, right out the side like you mention, Lars, and a springed release I could use inside the cabin to pull when I want it opened.
John H  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run the car with a straight pipe and no muffler and it sounds like shit, and performs like a dog.
You should have a muffler of some sort just to get abit of back pressure into the system to make everything work.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't help way up in the higher RPM's? Like, 5000 or so?
numbers  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run no muffler at all, you will not get any low end. And, of course with a turbo, low end is what you need. It takes back pressure to build low end torque. I am not up on the physics of this, just speaking from experience. That being said, the factory muffler has a little two much back pressure to let the turbo spin up as fast as possible. I run a Borla 2.5 inch muffler with the factory pipes, and a gutted cat. When I switched to the Borla, there was a noticable gain in acceleration. I haven't tried any other pipes, as the factory stuff seems adequate, and I do need to pass emissions for another three years.
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well a turbo IS back pressure. Usually a more flowign exhaust in a turbo can't do any harm unless you see flames coming out? Why does the straight pipe make the car perform like a dog?? I'm curious since a turbocharger creates TONS of back pressure. You can't tell me a turbo doesn't restrict the exhaust enough already. What do you think is the reason John H, I just can't see a turbocharged car needing ANY back pressure, I just see it needing soem pipe length so that flames coming out don't screw things up (overheat, melt, etc.)
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run no cat but a resonator and a Supertrapp end without the cap or rings. Sounds nice and runs very well. It is a 79 Euro and did not have a cat.
Louder exhaust note adds 5 HP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: