Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 non turbo... can i install one?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2000 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: krystal_klean@mail.com
Date: 1/28/00
Time: 12:15:11 AM

i have a 1980 924 which i am restoring and updating to a carrera GT. i would
like to add a turbo but i'm not sure if i can do this easily without changing
the throttle body, engine, or any other pieces. i know performance products use
to sell a install kit for adding a turbo but haven't seen it listed for about 6 years.
Any info anyone can give would be much appreciated. Also i would like to add a
air to air cooler under the gt bonnet and an oil cooler. I've heard of it being installed
in front of the radiator. is it possible and if so does that mean i lose my air
conditioning. I live in Austin, Texas. it's a nice thing to have.

Thanks,

Todd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2000 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: iapetus@mediaone.net
Time: 9:42:32 AM

I second this question. I have a '79 Non turbo and would like a little more kick out of it. I know of most of the standard upgrades, but would like just a little more power from it than those can provide. Can I put a turbo on it or should I just get a 944/968 motor and drop that in?? I would like to keep the original engine if possible.

BTW - Great idea on this list!! I belong to another (for a motorcycle) thats does a great deal of good. They also do get togethers once in awhile and show off their rides..... any suggestions to that??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2000 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email:
Time: 1:15:18 PM

There were several aftermarket turbo install kits for the NA 924. But I believe they are all discontinued. You can find them used if you start searching the internet. Jim Rogers at one time had one for sale, he is listed in the registry. I had a BAE kit which included a turbo, exhaust manifold a wastegate and some tubing. I sold it to a fellow who is running it in a 78 924 with a intercooler and larger throttle body. I personally don't like the kits, the factory spent some time and research developing the turbo 924 "aka 931" and it has many refinements in the engine management system along with upgraded components.

I would say find a factory turbo and start from there, it would be possible to drop a turbo motor into a NA car, but there are suspension issues, driveline and electronic upgrades in the factory turbo that eventually you will want to add to the NA 924. One headache/improvement to the 924 is a weber carberator setup. I don't think it will gain you much HP but it gives the car a different feel.

931's can be found at a reasonable prices but the next problem is the expense in turbo parts, but it wouldn't be any more than what you would expect with a kit. The early turbos 79 and 80 usually come with drum rear brakes and a half vacum / half digital ignition system, don't that let that stop you from buying one if it is at a good price, 944 suspensions are a dime a dozen and it can be fitted to the turbo with a little work. The 81 and 82 cars have the 4 wheel disc and a updated fully digital timing ignition, these are the more desirable cars but the 80 models production excedes the 81 and 82 production so it more likely you will find a 80 model than a 81 or 82. If you are into upgrades you will probably ditch the porsche igintion system at some point, but I think the systems are fine and are very capable of the job. The greatest upgrade to a turbo car is the addition of an intercooler and increasing the boost. You can bump the boost to a certain point without an intercooler but only so far, if you are in warm climate then look into an intercooler. David Frank is installing a 944 Turbo unit in his car and I'm sure he would be willing to discuss it with anyone interested. I'm going to atttempt to reproduce the factory intercooler with mounting hardware. It is a good add-on but the location requires a hood scoop and wil be prone to heat saturation when the car is not moving, so no stoplight drag racing.

More to follow, Keep the questions coming.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2000 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: i97lafr@itek.chalmers.se
Time: 3:13:08 PM

Another interesting alternative is to put a 5 cylinder engine from Audi in the 924. That way you could get from 136 hp (2,3 10 valve) to over 200 hp (2,2 Turbo 20 valve).

These engines are reliable, ultra-smooth and have a suberb sound that simply cannot be compared to a four cylinder. Does anyone know if these engines will fit the 924? What modifications are necessary?

/Fredrik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2000 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: spkprobe@aol.com
Time: 11:49:26 PM

i had transferred a 931 engine into my 77 924 which was all so turned into a 924gtr replica.
the transfer can be done but it can be tricky unless your are handy with welding and tools.
you will have to use the standard flywheel and clutch from your 924( the stock clutch will handle over 220 hp easily) these can be mated to the 931 after replacing the needle bearing. your next step would be to purchase a take off for the oil filter/oil thermostat,this is available from racer wholesale for a ford engine. with this set up the oilfilter/thermostat can be relocated to
the front fender section. you will all so have to run a new line for the turbo feed tube, and a shield to protect the hoses.the turbo plumbing can be routed through the fender passenger side to feed a front mount intercooler. you would have to locate the air flow meter to the driver side so the output pipe can run down trough that space to the intercooler. Forget the factory top mount it was bad idea at porsche but simplfied installation. I have the modified airflow meter, air filter and housing along with injectors etc. for sale ( went to full engine managment) if you need anything for the conversion.

It was time consuming to do but at the time 931 where still pricy to do the conversion ( 10-12,000 in 85) but if you follow my layout it would btake maybe 20 -30 hrs to install everthing. i ran my car in that configuration for years with no problem to clutch or gearbox at .9 bar boost.
WAyne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2000 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: CarloAlfie@aol.com
Date: 2/2/00
Time: 10:59:59 PM

I have a 1977 924 with a BAE turbo set up and I love it!It really makes a difference after 2000
rpm's because on the take off the power is just too much and I go through 1st gear too quickly.
The factory throtle body is still there and the
exhaust sounds very healthy,not like those
japanese lawn mowers running around now-a-days!
mail me with any questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: