Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Make a short shift for your 931

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Make a short shift for your 931 Reply with quote

Start with your shifter and scribe a perpendicular mark straight across the bottom of the upper pivot hole,
then scribe a mark the approximate diameter of the pivot hole above the upper pivot hole.
This will essentially mark out a section that will be cut out and filpped to create a wider pivot point for the two guide rods.
Next get the two bottom pieces, with the upper hole section reversed and put them in a vice so that they keep their alignment. Tack weld one edge at the join and then repeat on the other side. Rotate the piece in the vice and weld the other sides.
What you get now is something with a shorter shift and you can use with the stock shift knob. I decided to take it a little further and add facilities for my own. Here's how I did it....

Scribe a mark across the shifter wher the bar narrows towards the top and cut the piece off with a 1.6mm metal cutting disc on an angle grinder, a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade will do the same thing but compared to the angle grinder you wouldn't bother.
Next grab a steel bolt and nut combo, something with a long shank and a small threaded end section, the bolt I chose was 100mm length with a 9mm diameter shank.
grind a 5mm recess into the top of the shift where you cut it and in the head of the bolt so that they will sit interlocked. Make a small tack weld one side so that you can get the alignment right. Once you have it aligned complete the welds around the head. Most of the welds for this can also be pretty rough as they will be covered by the gaiter.
Next comes the shifter knob. I used a an old favourite for this one... a billiards ball. They are a little smaller than the pool ball you guys use in the states I believe. Drill out a recess using a sharp bit for the threaded section of the bolt and use something large like a 16mm bit or a dremel to recess the hole for the nut to sit into. Get a small amount of fiberglass resin and apply this to the nut and secure it in place.
what you get should look a little similar to the pics below. BTW if you want one made it will cost ya $50AUS + shipping and a shifter core , let me know colour knob you want, green, black, yellow,orange, off white, or blue balls.. haha
A little bit of removable lock tight after you put the knob on will help fix it in place and allow you to remove it or stick in a jam nut/ There is about 25mm of threaded section to be able to adjust the height of the knob too. So if you like the close to the steering wheel option or the close to the stereo option you can tailor it.
enjoy
Stu

joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little fabrication.
87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: