Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 basic swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoney13  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: 924 basic swap Reply with quote

I am interested in a carb 4 cylinder swap. Im interested in this not for a performance stand point but rather, a simple basic clean engine bay. The motor i have is decent however the cost of a carb kit vs. the cost of a swap that is set up carb. Any ideas ?

1978 924 N/A

2011 Ford Ranger
jbwheele  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

So you want to put a different engine with a carby? You can just put a carby on the 924 2 litre engine there are many posts with these mods and it would save you pulling the engine out ? If you had a TIG welder you could even use the same inlet manifold just weld on the new Carb base.

I know what you mean by simplicity, the CIS is pretty simple by todays standards though. Good luck
joejax  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CIS is just another challenge on the road to success with these cars.

I've been to the end of the road and detoured back again to find a way to make this work.

Great rewards await you as you master the mysterious CIS, the pain and turmoil is a small price to pay for the satisfaction of overcoming such an obstacle.

Confucius says: Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
Stoney13  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: CIS Reply with quote

My CIS has no issues other then the hot start problem. Run and starts fine when cold. Someone added in the hot start button and it is not very helpful. Say if its running and you shut it off for 1 min 2 mins itll start right back up again. But if you shut it off for 10 mins, it takes quite a few tries to get it to start if at all.

The CIS makes the engine bay look cluttered. IM willing to give the CIS a shot. The Carbs look very clean in comparison.

1978 924 N/A

2011 Ford Ranger
joejax  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm just messing around. I like the reaction of people when I pop the hood though.

They seem kind of shocked to see so many hoses and stuff all over. Then I like to try to explain how it works, good stuff.

Carbs are cool though. Have you thought about EFI? I've been thinking of what would be the best donor car for an engine.

Maybe buy the whole car to have everything there you would need for the swap, then junk the rest.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is willing to do the work, Bosch fuel injectors fit into the injector ports on the head after the ports are machined to accept the pintleand o-ring. This way the injectors sit far enough in the ports to have a decent spray pattern.

Chrysler and some Ford 4-cylinder fuel rails are the correct spacing and you'd just have to build your own adapter brackets to mount them to the head.

Throttle body needs to be replaced with one that has a throttle position sensor, or the stock throttle body can be modified to accept a TPS.

Mount an air filter, the rest of the sensors and electronics and your more or less there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: