Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My Project Thread Fall 2010-Spring 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flosho  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
Put up some under bonnet insulation, mine was quite thick, that removed alot of vavle train noise. Pretty impossible to get rid of on these cars, even with perfectly adjusted valves

Perhaps I should Dynamat my hood? or some other similar rattle reducer that the sound comp folks use... Wonder if that stuff can withstand the heat tho.

Would painting my valve cover help at all?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this kind:

http://www.biltema.se/ProductImages/36/large/36-9214_l.jpg

Very lightweight and efficient. But over the turbo area the glue starts to give up, so might have to do something about that ...Should be something similar but higher quiality.
flosho  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that might be on the back burner. My car wont go into reverse and 1st-3rd are much harder to get the shift lever into gear... haven't looked into it any further.
flosho  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some more poking around...

Car moves forward and back just fine, although I still can't get the car into Reverse while running.

1st, 2nd, 5th are really notching/hard to shift into. 3rd and 4th are a little easier, but if feels like I am "forcing" it into gear.

No grinds into any of the other gears except reverse.

I tried adjusting the clutch pedal back and forth and that did very little.

I tried to inspect the shift linkage on top of the transaxle, but I don't really know what I am looking for, they seem old and original. Probably worn down.

The shift lever has always been pretty floppy, so I'm going to do the temp fix to that.

Maybe I'll try to bleed the clutch slave again tonight and see if that helps at all.

Seems as though something internal in the trans is messed up or my clutch which was just replaced is having an issue, likely installation induced... So this totally blows!
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'I tried to inspect the shift linkage on top of the transaxle, but I don't really know what I am looking for, they seem old and original. Probably worn down. '

Jason, I have plenty of spares here if you think it's linkage. I also have a spare 931 transmission if linkage replacement doesn't work. I got this tranny with a parts car, so have no clue if it's better than yours. However, I installed a similar tranny from another parts haul, and it works great. I'm hesitant to sell the spare tranny though, hard to find.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
joewest  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems as though something internal in the trans is messed up or my clutch which was just replaced is having an issue, likely installation induced...

flosho  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to hear / see that...

Time for a 951 LSD unit...
flosho  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much play is acceptable in the shift linkage on top of the trans?

There is plenty of play but it doesn't seem like it would be causing this issue so suddenly.

I jacked the rear up and put it on stands... Put the car in gear and the tires began to spin... That means the clutch is dragging?

Probably the fricken pilot bearing...

Think maybe I'll just part it out... Time to move on. I've been wanting to purchase an M3 for a while this could be it. The quest for a high hp 931 just isn't in the cards for me.
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flosho wrote:
Time to move on. I've been wanting to purchase an M3 for a while this could be it. The quest for a high hp 931 just isn't in the cards for me.

Heh, M3 is a dog, unless it's e30 one but those needs the same push powerwise as 931.
Compared to any Porsche, E36 and E46 M3 handling is like a boat, driven them all. You have to build them as well to make any sort of decent car of them.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for you to pop it up for sale.
It will be sad to see you leave the comunity.

Do you remember...a few years ago our talk about EFI vs CIS?...well, lets say socially, this is what "going EFI" does for you...and i'm not trying to be evil or anything..but its reality...you wanna go EFI..then you want another turbo..then manifolds then new injectors then pumps then bla bla bla bla...and its neverending.
Before you know it..you've taken out too much of the car you loved...and you have to sell it/part it....all this while for a few years you kept the car in storage and piled money into it without actually enjoying what it was made for...driving. For what its worth, i think you should have kept CIS and just enjoy it all these years, instead of trying to make e big hp monster out of it.

good luck with the sale, I hope it goes to a good home.
flosho  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceboy wrote:
flosho wrote:
Time to move on. I've been wanting to purchase an M3 for a while this could be it. The quest for a high hp 931 just isn't in the cards for me.

Heh, M3 is a dog, unless it's e30 one but those needs the same push powerwise as 931.
Compared to any Porsche, E36 and E46 M3 handling is like a boat, driven them all. You have to build them as well to make any sort of decent car of them.

Sure, but they sound great, look incredible, and I can enjoy the luxury every day, auto-x or take it to a track day and still commute all with one car. Plus it will have a warranty. My wife drove the 931 all last summer and I've been driving it plenty this spring and summer but this is it.

I work for a dealership so I will likely buy one at auction for wholesale price. E30 M3 would be sweet but it's old and they are expensive.

We have an '03 SMG at the place now and I really like it. It's a good all around car for me. Trust me, I wanted to have a 931 that would spank an M3, M5 or just about anything else short of a z06 but I doubt it's gonna happen anymore...
Arvidw  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't stop now you are at 90% of the project. Stop working on it for a couple of weeks and give it some time.

About the clutch dragging. Did you use a brand new nice and shiny clutch plate? Mine was dragging because the leafsprings between the friction plates rusted in a bad storage and therefore the clutch thickness increased.
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no car that is good in everything, even 924
I have a separate daily beater (Audi A8 ) and project cars are just what they are, project cars.

I wholly agree that it is demotivating finding something to fail after hard work but occasionally failing gearboxes are sort of reality with high hp cars.

I agree with Arwid, just take some time off the car and find a daily driver that offers something that your project car doesn't and you will be very pleased in the end. Also you will enjoy your Porsche much more later.

My project cars have been sitting for months sometimes, just other things that are more important have come to the top in priority list, then its time for Porsches again.
On that note, yesterday I started the Gulf after some "minor" changes only to discover a healthy oil leak near oil filter adapter. Didn't bother to check further, will do in weekend or something.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
joewest  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project cars (and wrenching in general) are like women, I have come to find. You know you enjoy the work and can take the hits in order to enjoy all of that awesomeness, but sometimes you just want a change in freakin' scenery. The BMW world will bring it just as good as Porsche, but it's like blonde vs. brunette. Both fun as hell, and have their own special quarks...I'm a big fan of the total reboot. Love me an M3.

Damn....dropped the knowledge right there....
flosho  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrection from a decade.

I did start the car today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: