Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

UT-CIS Sticky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
What failed this time? Was it the valve again? Have they discussed with you their new version that utilizes a simple electronic injector as opposed to the stepper motor?

Yes, the valve. Shitcanning the stepper sounds like a fabulous idea. I always thought a frequency valve could do this job better. . .in fact, I suggested in an email a couple of months ago.

BionicBalls wrote:
Did this happen before or after you decided to sell the car?

Balls, it happened AFTER I posted the sale listing. The car has been running perfectly. It must have sensed me plotting against it.
Min  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pictures of the failure?

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BionicBalls  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Balls, it happened AFTER I posted the sale listing. The car has been running perfectly. It must have sensed me plotting against it.

These cars are spiteful bitches.

The other day, I replaced my alternator in the morning (regulator went bad), while leaving the shop the pipe leaving my cat completely cracked so I had to turn around and weld it up, then later that night on my way home from work the cv bolts had worked themselves loose and the half shaft fell off the wheel at the middle of a busy intersection. I had to push the car during the green light into a nearby gas station so I could jack it up and put it back on with some lock tight and an allen wrench since I dont have the cheese head bit with me in my car tool bag.

I hope you get it figured out and sold before anything else goes wrong.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, new unit is here. The good: a fuel injector instead of a stepper-controlled needle valve, and a nice metal box for the elecronics:

Wait a minute. . .is that circuit board supposed to be loose in there?

Nope, looks like some crap double sided tape was used to "secure" it, and it failed in transit.

And how about this mounting bracket:

A fine idea, except one screw is on the top of the valve body (as mounted in a 931) and one is on the bottom. How in the hell will I get that screw in?

Fail. FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved! I have removed the UTCIS unit and installed a unit designed by engineers at Bosch specifically for my car.

It fired up immediately, starting with a slightly high idle, then settling down to a perfect 900 RPM lope. AFR was stoich, as expected, and after the car was fully warmed up, I hooked into the test port to check lambda duty cycle. . .dimed! Perfect! This means, of course, that as it warmed up, my Bosch unit had increased control pressure to exactly 3.5 BAR (if it was different than the UTCIS warm, verifed at 3.5, the idle mixture would have been off, and lambda duty cycle off as well).

Man, do I feel better. After a year (ONE YEAR. . .TWELVE MONTHS. . .365 DAYS) of phucking around with UTCIS, my car is finally running as it should, and I have 100% confidence that it is ready for any road trip we throw at it this summer. After all, this is my DD and road trip car, not a "hobby" car that I can afford to have down all the time.

What a relief!
stevekat  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta, what exactly did you install? The original WUR or some other electronic system designed by Bosch?

Gone to new home: '81 924T, US version, CGT Intercooler, UTCIS-PT, Euro DITC, Greddy Trust MBC, Forged Fuchs Flat Dish 6's, Factory Recaro's.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I reinstalled the factory control pressure regulator, which had been rebuilt by Special T a few years ago. If you are running your UTCIS without a wideband AFR gauge, I strongly urge to you install one.

I am beginning to think these units might not be 100% reliable.
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIS rulez !
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
CIS rulez !

Its at least rock solid and consistent. Havent failed on me once, after thousands of miles and track days (both 924s). But you need to have everything sorted first so it runs as its supposed to.

I have had an eye opened for the utcis a long time since its a real clever idea on how to get a rock solid system programmable, but atm i´m a bit afraid of loosing reliability, will probably stick with the WUR a little bit longer.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
i´m a bit afraid of losing reliability

A bit?

gegge  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...

I was trying to sell mine to Cedric!

Anyone else? I am going EFI with SDS EM-4, simple and reliable - just like k-jet

Well, mine is running. Slightly biased but working.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gegge, but:

FWIW:

After going through five (5!) units, I have concluded that the built quality of Unwired Tools' hard and solid state components is awful.

In addition, I was promised a refund of my purchase price in May of last year and have since been ignored by the company. Would strong advise against letting these guys see any of your money.

Oh, and as stated above, the car is running great on a refurbished Bosch WUR.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
In addition, I was promised a refund of my purchase price in May of last year and have since been ignored by the company. Would strong advise against letting these guys see any of your money.

+1.

After Rasta's experience, I was too gunshy to even attempt installing the unit I purchased. They have refused to return my calls or emails. $700 down the drain. The only silver lining for me is that I didn't put any time and effort into into being a guinea pig for them like Rasta did.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenCIS works..

http://www.frankencis.com/
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/820323-digital-wur-plus-frankencis.html
http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=41465
http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=42444
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: