Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

UT-CIS Sticky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failboat sails on. After waiting a month for my fuel dizzy to reappear from SpecialT Auto (NOT done in-house, btw ), the UTCIS is still not able to raise my control pressure over 2.7 or so. Obviously, this also makes the unit unable to do any boost enrichment.

I did finally get my hands on a CIS tester, and verified that the UTCIS pressure sensor is accurate, my system pressure is within spec, as is my delivery volume. With a new frequency valve, new lines, a Pierburg pump, new filter, and a rebuilt dizzy, the UTCIS is literally the only possibility left. It simply is not working.

Aye!
stevekat  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what Unwired Tools has to say about things and how they respond to the issue. They were pretty responsive when I had a couple of software issues around the time they released their updated system.

Gone to new home: '81 924T, US version, CGT Intercooler, UTCIS-PT, Euro DITC, Greddy Trust MBC, Forged Fuchs Flat Dish 6's, Factory Recaro's.
RC  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
the unit is not monitoring RPM at all. . .it always shows 1000. Boo!

Any RPM readings yet Rasta?
Although I know nothing about this controller or its programming, it makes sense that idle RPMs run richer, hence lower control pressure. Perhaps if there is no appropriate tach signal input the unit uses a 1K RPM default which severely limits its operation.

Does the temp sensor give a reasonable reading of engine manifold temp? Doesn`t sound logical using a timed warm up cycle if the unit has an integral temp sensor.

Can you post any instructions or documentation that may reveal more? or ask the makers?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC, thanks for the response.

RPM is now working. The map I am running currently is flat across all RPMs (control pressure of 3.5), unless boost is present (or unless it is in warmup cycle).

You can tell the hardware is not doing what the software wants it to do if you look at the screen shot in my first post. . ."measured control pressure" should equal "target control pressure."
RC  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
You can tell the hardware is not doing what the software wants it to do if you look at the screen shot in my first post. . ."measured control pressure" should equal "target control pressure."

Yeah, certainly looks that way. First impression is that the UTIC valve is leaking. For a data log though the trace appears far too flat. Wonder if the frequency valve is bleeding off pressure? Sure it`s just for emissions and cruise to try to maintain stoich. IDK if its a good thing to be using both, can see they will fight each other. So FV is active with stock NBo2?

With engine idling, will CIS tester raise control P to near system P with tap closed? Try disabling FV by disconnecting wires, should keep valve shut, - any difference?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lambda circuit is active. . .but FV does not impact control pressure (verified with mechanical gauge and UTCIS pressure sensor).
RC  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... not looking good for the UTCIS.

Could definitely confirm fault with CIS tester in series with UTCIS, between it and return line. Close the tap and if pressure rises well ...... F!
RC  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Failboat sails on.

Sure you`re not amused but.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC wrote:
Could definitely confirm fault with CIS tester in series with UTCIS, between it and return line.

Done, and done.

Nein37  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta,
I have not found an issue with the stock WUR not being able to deliver sufficient enrichment under increased boost. Even at 14psi I'm still maintaining AFR numbers in the high 10s low 11s. Intake charge temperature is the real problem with the 931 that needs addressing.

Dump the UTCIS... before it grenades your engine.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock WUR diaphragm is not designed to withstand the amount of boost you are exposing it to (per FSM). Dump it before it grenades your engine.

RC  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nein37 wrote:
I'm still maintaining AFR numbers in the high 10s low 11s.

You`re not maintaining any AFR, that is simply what you are getting from the CIS. 10 - 11:1 AFR on straight "gas" is too rich for maximum power. Don`t fool yourself that the extra fuel is cooling the intake charge either. 10 - 11 AFR may be getting close though if the fuel has a fair ethanol content, but you won`t know WTF the gas station gives you.

If this UTCIS works as claimed it should be possible to carefully tune the fueling for close to best power and economy with an accurate WBo2. However that is with the limitation of the fixed ignition timing curve that Porsche provided to suit the STOCK engine. A programmable ECU (rather than just EFI) not only gives full fuel control but also full ignition control interacting with temperature, pressure, RPM, and even fuel content if desired.

Dump the CIS... before it grenades your engine.
Min  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

failboat is fail

been watching with interest, hopefully you get things sorted out rasta.

Min
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exchanged emails with UT Tech Support, and they agree that the unit is defective. They are sending a replacement.

This makes me happy.

The fact that I fired the car on May 30, and still don't have this squared away, makes me UNHAPPY.

Stay tuned for more episodes of How the UTCIS Turns.
Nein37  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Stock WUR diaphragm is not designed to withstand the amount of boost you are exposing it to (per FSM). Dump it before it grenades your engine.

RC wrote:
Nein37 wrote:
I'm still maintaining AFR numbers in the high 10s low 11s.

You`re not maintaining any AFR, that is simply what you are getting from the CIS. 10 - 11:1 AFR on straight "gas" is too rich for maximum power. Don`t fool yourself that the extra fuel is cooling the intake charge either. 10 - 11 AFR may be getting close though if the fuel has a fair ethanol content, but you won`t know WTF the gas station gives you.

If this UTCIS works as claimed it should be possible to carefully tune the fueling for close to best power and economy with an accurate WBo2. However that is with the limitation of the fixed ignition timing curve that Porsche provided to suit the STOCK engine. A programmable ECU (rather than just EFI) not only gives full fuel control but also full ignition control interacting with temperature, pressure, RPM, and even fuel content if desired.

Dump the CIS... before it grenades your engine.

Ouch!... and Double Ouch!!! Didn't know you guys were so touchy about your UTCIS. My stock setup seems to be working just fine, whether 11 AFR is not good for full power or not, I'm quite happy with the safety margin and I've also found that adding or removing shims at the primary pressure regulator gives you a small degree of tuning ability if you wanna lift or drop your WOT enrichment numbers a bit.

Also... I bet your engines grenade before mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: