Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Audi 90 CS V6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cirno  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Audi 90 CS V6 Reply with quote

I found a 2.8L V6 for 500$ out of a 93 Audi 90 CS and I'm curious if anyone has experience with this engine? Is the bolt pattern the same as the 931 Bellhousing? As a more general question, when it comes to the fitment of a V6 does the brake booster need to be repositioned?

I have a neighbor who is willing to help me out with the engine swap. I may keep my turbo and hook it to the engine if I can get some confirmation from other sources that it can hold 6 psi in bare stock form with a tuning.
avaconirl  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at this engine thinking of the same thing.Don't think it will suit and it's one heavy engine. Have a look at the flywhell end of the engine and are there 2 12mm bolt hole s at the top approx 4 to 4 1/2 inches apart if so you have a chance it may work. I hope this will be of help and i have not sent you any false info.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it bolts to an Audi 5-cylinder transmission, it can be made to work on the 924/924turbo bell housing.

There have been Audi 5-cylinder swaps done, but no V6 or V8 Audi swaps, so you might be the first!

Audiworld.com should be able to tell you what bolts together with what.

As for the brake booster, you'll need to measure and perhaps test fit the engine to get an idea of what needs to move around (if anything)

If you do need to ditch the booster, check out the Porsche Hybrids site to read up on brake booster solutions for V8 swaps.

Good luck, and let us know what you find/take pictures, etc.
Cirno  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, did my homework and discovered a few things about this swap.

Like ava mentioned this engine is heavy. Iron block V6 with alu heads. Like ours only much bigger. The deal killer for me was the flywheel, like Ava mentioned. It's a "Dual Mass" flywheel, which is a funky lookin thingamabober with lots of springs. It's renowned for being crap. I'm not gonna get knee deep with a project in a project (inb4 "Yo dawg, so i herd you like projects..." ) to convert it to a 7a solid flywheel.

Since the engine wasn't out of the car I couldn't tell about the bellhousing pattern. : /

Don't think I'm gonna bite on this one. That dual mass flywheel just kills it.
Cirno  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/pts/1640590587.html

Hrm, Choices Choices...

fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might as well hold out for an Audi V8.
Cirno  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't want to open another thread in the engine swap forum so soon so i'll put this here.

I've found a 2.2L Ecotec for 100$
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/pts/1625273675.html

I know I'll have to fix the engine. He's throwing in the bearings too. I'll buy rod bearings separately and possibly a crank too if I must.

I'm really interested in it. It's all aluminum and from what I hear a incredibly well built engine. I'm kind of a nerd so those kinda details excite me. There is one detail i'm not so sure of as I've never done a engine swap before.

With regards to the bellhousing, once a adapter plate is made, what other modifications may need to happen to make it work? Do I need to use a chevy starter to spin the chevy flywheel? Will that require machining the bellhousing? Will I need to use spacers behind the flywheel to make up for the extra distance of the adapter plate?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cirno wrote:
Well I don't want to open another thread in the engine swap forum so soon so i'll put this here.

I've found a 2.2L Ecotec for 100$
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/pts/1625273675.html

I know I'll have to fix the engine. He's throwing in the bearings too. I'll buy rod bearings separately and possibly a crank too if I must.

I'm really interested in it. It's all aluminum and from what I hear a incredibly well built engine. I'm kind of a nerd so those kinda details excite me. There is one detail i'm not so sure of as I've never done a engine swap before.

With regards to the bellhousing, once a adapter plate is made, what other modifications may need to happen to make it work? Do I need to use a chevy starter to spin the chevy flywheel? Will that require machining the bellhousing? Will I need to use spacers behind the flywheel to make up for the extra distance of the adapter plate?

Depends on how you adapt the engine to the car.

Is there a readily available RWD bellhousing available for this engine? (Think the ecotec's came in some of the small trucks and the Solstice/Sky twins)

Many of the V8/V6 swap guys use a bellhousing made for the engine they are using. This simplifies the starter, flywheel and pressure plate solution. The clutch disc many times has to be custom made or sourced from a different vehicle depending on the type of driveshaft you use and the dimensions of the clutch disc.

To adapt another bellhousing to the Torque tube, you measure how far the donor shaft and the Porsche shaft extend from the back of the bellhousing. Comparing how far they extend into the bellhousing, etc. Then you need to compare bellhousing depth as you may need to trim the torque tube back and have a new flange welded on to mate the torque tube to the new bellhousing and maintain the proper clutch shaft depth. Some have only needed to build a small adapter plate to mate the bellhousing to the torque tube.

One of the other factors you have to take into account is how the engine itself fits in the engine bay. You'll want it as far back as you can get it to keep the weight balance similar and you'll want it tilted over as much as possible to clear the hood. This may mean a custom head and/or a modified intake manifold.

You'll need to build custom mounts to mount the engine to the chassis and they'll need to line up with the torque tube.

Once the engine is in the car, the torque tube connected to the bellhousing and the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and starter all in place, you'll need to sort out the controls of the engine, clutch cable or hydraulic slave cylinder, accessories, electrical, yada yada....

There is some really good information on V8 swaps that could be adapted to any Porsche 924/944 engine swap. Check out their Wiki: http://porschehybrids.pbworks.com/

Good luck!
931Owner  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the 2.8L V6 swap considering I have one sitting in the Audi but then that is too many projects.

The engine weight is the biggest drawback.

Also it is only 172HP and not worth all the work considering the degradation on steering and upset the balance of the car (I have owned the 4cyl TwinSpark Alfa 164 and the V6 and there is a major problems with weight distribution on the V6)

If I was going for an Audi swap I would look at a 2.0L Turbo model at 200+ HP. They would be easier to find.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, you're comparing an Alfa V6/I4 in an Alfa chassis to an Audi V6/I4 in a Porsche chassis surmising that there is a correlation?

Seems like you're comparing an I4/V6 in a FWD vehicle to an I4/V6 in a RWD vehicle with a rear mounted transaxle and near 50/50 weight balance.

I agree that the power output of the Audi V6 is seemingly lacking on paper, but having driven a V6 powered Audi A4, the smooth torque and rev range is pretty impressive in that heavy, AWD wagon. In a lighter weight 924 body, powering the rear wheels it should be pretty fun to drive.

Given how common the V6 motors are, I would think they would be a pretty decent swap candidate for someone looking for a less-frenetic power plant for their cruiser with decent fuel economy (compared to many V8's) If you're looking for ultimate power, then a twin-turbo V6 or a turbo 4 would be better choices.

Now an Audi V8 would be even better compared to the V6, but they aren't as cheap or plentiful here in North America.
931Owner  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
Wait, you're comparing an Alfa V6/I4 in an Alfa chassis to an Audi V6/I4 in a Porsche chassis surmising that there is a correlation?

Seems like you're comparing an I4/V6 in a FWD vehicle to an I4/V6 in a RWD vehicle with a rear mounted transaxle and near 50/50 weight balance.

You said it, and my apologies for not being clearer. The additional weight of a V6 would upset the excellent 50:50 weight distribution which is one of the key reasons why someone buys a water cooled front engined Porsche to begin with compared to the 'Tiger in the tail' 911 (esp. if your a ham-fisted driver and not familiar with the rear engined real wheel drive weight distribution).

I have a A6 with the 2.8L and it is not a light engine and there are very few after market mods for it. However with an Audi 2.0L I4 turbo it will help retain the near 50:50 balance and provide the benefits of extra power as well as excellent after market mods for it!

The 3.7L or 4.2L V8s are just way,way too heavy IMO.

fiat22turbo wrote:
I agree that the power output of the Audi V6 is seemingly lacking on paper, but having driven a V6 powered Audi A4, the smooth torque and rev range is pretty impressive in that heavy, AWD wagon. In a lighter weight 924 body, powering the rear wheels it should be pretty fun to drive.

Given how common the V6 motors are, I would think they would be a pretty decent swap candidate for someone looking for a less-frenetic power plant for their cruiser with decent fuel economy (compared to many V8's) If you're looking for ultimate power, then a twin-turbo V6 or a turbo 4 would be better choices.

Now an Audi V8 would be even better compared to the V6, but they aren't as cheap or plentiful here in North America.

Considering Audi is bringing back the I5 turbo engine with the TT-RS, that would be the engine to go for it's just a pity that that particular TT isn't coming stateside.

I love the Audi 2.2L I5 Turbo I used to have an '82 Audi 200T and that was a FUN car and never ever did I experience 'unintended acceleration' with it. I aways intended instant acceleration .

FYI - the 200T was the US 5000 model equivalent for the ROW the same beast which caused the demise of the earlier Audis in the US market. The lady that reported the 'unintended acceleration' was just lucky that her husband was a lawyer, but don't get me started.
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the 2.7 biturbo. My wife's A6 2.7 biturbo quatro is kind of fun to drive even though it is only 250HP. Although it would be a challange to package the intercoolers in a 924.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: