Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Carpeting a 924 the cheap way
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayZzzz4  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Carpeting a 924 the cheap way Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of carpeting my 924 over the summer. Last winter and early spring I was planning on what to get/use. This website was a big motivator for me to get going on it: http://www.jefflilly.com/Fabrication/Fabrication-F/muscle-car-carpet/

(found a lighter and other junk under the seats)

I wanted to use some sound damping like dynamat, but the prices were a little too high for me. I was going to go with this instead:
http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10618/s-10401/p-100000173307/mediaCode-CP/appId-100000173307/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000173307

Also with this on the bottom as a heat shield:
http://www.carparts.com/HEAT-SOUND-INSULATION/GP_2010475_N_111+10718+600022847_10618.car
The price when up, I bought this at $35 for 24ft, which is way more then what was needed for the project. I didn’t know how thick this stuff really was when I ordered it; I thought it was just a thin layer of foil. But after seeing how thick it was, I decided to skip the Deluxe Foam Carpet padding, .5”which would make all the padding together to be almost an inch.

As for the carpet, I used some cheap car rolls from Wal-Mart, 72” by 36” $8.99 each. I used about 4 rolls if I remember right. The material isn’t the best, but I knew it wouldn’t be. It’s been about 4 mouths since I put it in and still is in great shape, no wearing yet. Why I used these rolls? I Really don’t know. I was sick of driving around for about 6 months with a track car with no interior and when I saw a roll of it at the store; I thought it would be nicer then what I had.

I was hoping the 72” rolls would make it across from one side to the other, but it short by an inch or two. So I went from front to back with the rolls. I still need to put a seam on the carpet around from the drive shaft tunnel area, as you can see it’s pulling away from the glue. I lost the photos of the carpeting before putting the seats in, so here's what is looks like 4 days ago.

There still is a lot more detailing to do before it's finished. You can see in the 2nd pic from last, that there is a triangle piece of carpeting that is darker than the rest. I'm not sure why that is, but I think I'll pull it off and replace it. Overall, I'm not disappointed in it, I would say it's 60% quieter than with no carpeting. If I could go back and redo it, I would have put down some liquid damping paint, like bed-liner or lizard-skin on the bottom.
4 rolls =$36
heat/sound damping =$35
glue ($10 a can) 3 cans= $30
$101 total plus duck-tape
skemcin  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do the rear seat wells too?
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really nice, especially for the investment! Excellent work
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks so much nicer than without carpets, but why heat insulating material? the only thing that the foil will do is keeping moisture in.

Try some better glue, I used that spray glue when i did some door panels and it didnt end up very well..
JayZzzz4  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you do the rear seat wells too?

Well at the time I didn't have rear seats, so I was just going to carpet over the empty seat area or build something for storing things, but I bought nice rear seats about a mouth ago from Paul, along with just about everything I need to finish the car. So the only area that needs carpeting is the vertical area by the feet for the rear seats. I hope to finish it this weekend and drop the rear seat in.

Quote:
That looks really nice, especially for the investment! Excellent work

Thanks Dan, there are a lot of mistakes being the first time ever doing this, but only I can tell where they are

Quote:

Looks so much nicer than without carpets, but why heat insulating material? the only thing that the foil will do is keeping moisture in.

Try some better glue, I used that spray glue when i did some door panels and it didnt end up very well..

Well if your into autocross racing, sure carpets would suck, but if you want to use it as an everyday car then carpets are nice. The sound alone on the freeway is deafening going around 70 and I did drive it that way for half a year.

The heat insulating is a sound dampener too, it's says it protects against mold, mildew, fungus, but your right, water will get traped under the foil over time, I'll try my best to keep water away. I haven't had any problems with the glue besides it pulling away by the drive shaft tunnel, partly because I didn't put much there because I thought i might put a seam there. But you might be right, I'll try a different glue, spray glue isn't good to work with in small areas. I just need to put a long bead of glue down.
ZODIAC  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this seems like a damn good investment. and if it starts to wear with time, well Wal*Mart has carried this cheap carpeting for years!

came out really nice, especially for a first shot.

would carpeting the deck where the rear seats go interfere with the seats when you put them in? this way you could put them in only when you need them, and still have a nicely caprpeted area otherwise.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a incredible job... ... my sun roof leaks a little around the backs seats I mean it used to so i never bothered with new carpet.. You did a bang up job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
flosho  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your dash should be considered the ultimate-dash...

Nice write up. Looks like I'll be purchasing these materials.. I'll be doing the same thing to my center console, keeping it just carpet and the shift boot.
JayZzzz4  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZODIAC wrote:

would carpeting the deck where the rear seats go interfere with the seats when you put them in? this way you could put them in only when you need them, and still have a nicely carpeted area otherwise.

Yes you can carpet over the seat area and later put the seat in.

I finished the back area over the long weekend. The back seat is in and sound dampening all over the back. The car is dead quiet in the back, no transmission sounds, I can't even hear my 3" loud racing muffler. The only sound in the car comes from the front now, which I'll be shortly putting dampener on the firewall. I even had time to put the heater in and the dash, ran out of time trying to put the gauges in.
JayZzzz4  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flosho wrote:
I think your dash should be considered the ultimate-dash...

Haha, Yeah, it should be, It doesn't get much lighter than that.
skemcin  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JayZzzz4"]
ZODIAC wrote:

...The car is dead quiet in the back, no transmission sounds, I can't even hear my 3" loud racing muffler...

How are ya gonna hear all that is going wrong with the car now?

In all sincerity, this has prompted me to give the project some series thought since my car is in the stage as yours was.

Nice work.
9249206347 - 8k – waiting its resurrection, no power at the fuel pump and fuse #7 blows w/power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
reilly525i  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great work

80 n/a 924.
76 alfa romeo spider
e34 525i.
xj6 vanden plas
vintage Sunbeam 6 speed bicycle
Paul  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed this thread, great work, looks nice!
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
skemcin  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpeting a 924 the cheap way Reply with quote

JayZzzz4 wrote:
... I bought this at $35 for 24ft, which is way more then what was needed for the project...
heat/sound damping =$35

Where did you end up sourcing that? I think this is going to be my May project.
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, Robert Budd's really nice carpet kits are on special right now, 10% off...normally $419, on special for $377.10. I know it's not as inexpensive as this option, but they are very nice kits, already cut-to-fit...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: