Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

G31 Angular Joint Installation Woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-Roll931  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: G31 Angular Joint Installation Woes Reply with quote

Somehow, I decided that installing this could wait, even after I had everything within reach while doing the RMS, clutch, and even the bushings at the rear over the winter and early spring...Anyways, I'm now in the process of installing this PITA with the gearbox disconnected from the rear suspension and axles, and see only two ways to get it installed now without knackered up hands and fingers.

1. Remove the four bolts holding the torque tube to the bellhousing and slide the tube back a foot or so to have the same reach I had over the winter. The only problem is it required two people to push the torque tube back in place and I suspect that'll happen again.

2. Remove the gearbox entirely...I'm partway there, but I've never done it before and I'm seeing it as a bit overkill, and seems riskier than the former option...I could be wrong.

Advice? Tips and Tricks?
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the gearbox on the torque tube. Drop the box off its mountings and allow it come down on a jack/support as far as it goes. It will be tight but potentially doable unless the old joint is really corroded onto the shaft. Count the turns off. Count the turns back on.

If the gearbox is easy to pull, then pull it. It will make life easier to reach into the TT area to swap the joint.
K-Roll931  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Leave the gearbox on the torque tube. Drop the box off its mountings and allow it come down on a jack/support as far as it goes. It will be tight but potentially doable unless the old joint is really corroded onto the shaft. Count the turns off. Count the turns back on.

If the gearbox is easy to pull, then pull it. It will make life easier to reach into the TT area to swap the joint.

I'm halfway to dropping the snailshell. Should have it out either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

I'm following this very helpful guide someone here had made: https://www.freewebs.com/patand/vxelldsbyte.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: