Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

82 944 2.5 engine into a .....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2.0 8v  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: 82 944 2.5 engine into a ..... Reply with quote

Got one of these for free (car was an auto though), along with the cross member, steering, loom ecu etc...now here's the thing, I want to put it in a mk 1 caddy pickup. Engine fits (just!) We're cutting out the center tunnel, rear section of front chassis legs, tunnel and floor from the 944 and welding it into the caddy.

My question is this can I use any of the 924 manual transmission set up to finish this off. Can I swop over the clutch, flywheel, torque tube, gearbox, etc. If not a straight swop, is it possible to modify it. Would prefer the clutch cable set up as opposed to the hydraulic clutch. Also have an 85 manual 924 n/a breaker to rob parts from.

Hope some one can help, were cutting the 944 for the structural sections tomorrow.

Denis
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you would use a manual cable setup on the 2.5L clutch arrangement. I'm not going to say it can't be done, but it would require a lot of trial and error fabrication.

As for the gearbox itself, the 2.5L setup has the 1" diameter 25 spline driveshaft, with the requisite arrangement at the clutch disc and the gearbox. You should be able to use virtually any of the Audi-based gearboxes (along with the associated torque tube) sourced from a 931, 924S, 944, or 951. If you use a gearbox sourced from a 924 NA, you will need to figure out how to reduce from 1" / 25 spline to the smaller 19 spline setup used on the NA driveshaft / gearbox. The easiest way is probably to keep the larger diameter driveshaft, and make a reducer by joining two halves of a 25 spline & 19 spline coupler (the part that attaches the driveshaft at the rear to the input shaft on the gearbox). Or, you could try to find a clutch disc with the right female spline receiver. In any event, all of that seems like an awful lot of unnecessary trouble. Just get a 944 or 924S gearbox + torque tube and use it as is.
2.0 8v  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
I don't know how you would use a manual cable setup on the 2.5L clutch arrangement. I'm not going to say it can't be done, but it would require a lot of trial and error fabrication.

As for the gearbox itself, the 2.5L setup has the 1" diameter 25 spline driveshaft, with the requisite arrangement at the clutch disc and the gearbox. You should be able to use virtually any of the Audi-based gearboxes (along with the associated torque tube) sourced from a 931, 924S, 944, or 951. If you use a gearbox sourced from a 924 NA, you will need to figure out how to reduce from 1" / 25 spline to the smaller 19 spline setup used on the NA driveshaft / gearbox. The easiest way is probably to keep the larger diameter driveshaft, and make a reducer by joining two halves of a 25 spline & 19 spline coupler (the part that attaches the driveshaft at the rear to the input shaft on the gearbox). Or, you could try to find a clutch disc with the right female spline receiver. In any event, all of that seems like an awful lot of unnecessary trouble. Just get a 944 or 924S gearbox + torque tube and use it as is.

Thanks for the reply lad. May have found a manual box from a 944. Is it possible to use the torque tube from an auto for a manual conversion? I'll also have to source a new pedal box to run the hydraulic clutch or is there a method of converting it. Its all early days

We've cut the chassis legs, inner wings, bulkhead and floor section out of the 944 up to the cross bracing section behind the drivers seat. Were also welding in a type 3 variant dash instead of the stock caddy item. No idea how its going to work mind!!!
thirdgenbird  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen an 8v 944 motor in a mkII and that was sweet, but this may take the cake! where are the pictures?
17in caymans, koni yellow coilovers, hypercoil springs, kla solid upper mounts, 968 sway bars, kla drop links, kla strut brace, fidanza flywheel, dansk catback, wilwood front calipers, ss brake lines, e-codes, 944 duckbill, manual rack,momo steering wheel
2.0 8v  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pictures for a no. of reasons...I'm crap with a camera, never think to stop and take any. Also i think it takes away some of the mystery from it all...I'll post some up when its finished though...that'll be a long way in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: