Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Handle same as VW ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay. but here they are, the very rare chrome scirocco door handles. (most are plastic)

Harm  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Handle same as VW ?? Reply with quote

Rocco R16V wrote:
…but here they are, the very rare chrome scirocco door handles. (most are plastic)

Awsome!
Is that the early 924 door lever? ('77-'79)
I have never seen/found those: They are always missing at junkyard cars.

Regards, Harm.
Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Handle same as VW ?? Reply with quote

Harm wrote:

Awsome!
Is that the early 924 door lever? ('77-'79)

Regards, Harm.

no that is a early Scirocco door handle (75-80)

the lever part you pull on does look longer like the porsche ones and the mechanism looks similar, would be cool to verify if it is the same as early porsche handles.
Harm  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Handle same as VW ?? Reply with quote

Yep.
The similarity (door opening mechanism) between the early 924 and Scirocco is what I'm refering to.
Hence my previous question and images.
Thanks. Regards, Harm.
Harm  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Handle same as VW ?? Reply with quote

RC wrote:
… These handles are the same as a 76 Fox, at least Au market ones anyway. Sure both I have on now are the identical Fox ones, which I snapped… … are indeed different to the plastic #### handles as is also the catch & locking mechanism.

Found another online example of Fox handles:

(Credits to Rein: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4599231-Rien-s-Caddy......Caddys&p=65227299&viewfull=1#post65227299 ).

So, please note: Not completely plug'N'play!
Needs replacement of the door opening and lock mechanism thats already on the used 924 doorhandle.
Help of a hammer and a pair of pliers would suffice: No need to drill apparently.

931Owner wrote:
The 924 and Audi handles of the same vintage are the same!
At least that's how I recall the 2 earlier Audi's that I had. The only issue is that anti scratch shield on the door. I can't remember if the 200 or 5000 series Audi's had those.

(Scratch shields are probably aftermarket)
Would like to see if the Audi doorhandle actualy fit; not much info on the Audi fora etc. though.
Does anyone here actualy got/uses these AUDI door handles?
Lets unmyth that one!

Regards, Harm.
unheardofinstruments  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: door handle blues Reply with quote

I have been looking for 924 handles for my '81 model
I can confirm that the 77 ones from the martini would not fit and are different
I haven't got the end of the pawls as they were broken off on both sides so thanks for the photos for recognising them but I haven't found any
anyone got a set? no barrels/keys required
unheardofinstruments  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: doorhandles Reply with quote

I have ordered the handle triggers on their own from ianporsche ( 5691 ) on ebay, they apparently work for 80-82 924's according to him, I will let everyone know if they in fact do, they were 53.90 for a pair without the other bits in the listing for the kit item number 21836835692
38.32 per side with the pins, springs and gaskets, ian is very helpful, recommended seller
I have a 77 martini and a 82 witht the broken doorhandles and a 83 with nothing much wrong with it but I need to get the doorhandles out to find the factory key code because the key is super worn and dicky, so I will take some photo's, backatcha soon.
I heard they were all different 83 onwards to the 80/81 which just ran for a couple of years and were too easy to break (the broken off bit left on the trigger was about 10mm x 1mm thick alloy) I was also told the mk1 VW ones fit but evidently not the same.
I was curious as regands Audi 100 handles...
I found this post on ebay too
porsche scripted door handles from hungary and lithuania seem to be aftermarket and plastic too.
unheardofinstruments  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

triggers did not work, the 82 model ones definitely activate by pushing downwards not inwards so VW sirocco style in chrome and very rare (all broken?) will add photos soon...
RC  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the later ones are different Ron. The 76 (IIRC) Audi Fox handles fit the early cars to ~78 or 79 that push inwards. With no handle on the door you can stick your finger in the hole & push to open.

Later ones, definitely 82, were different and swing or push down, I think. Had or maybe still have a pair of those that came with a couple of spare doors I got on ebay. Swapped them for 2 US or UK origin doors that were lighter as they didn`t have the integral corrugated side impact protection required by ADR. Recall the other board member I exchanged with had some issue with the handles or lock mechanism that was also different. You there Wade?

Those flimsy cast "pot metal" trigger thingos all seem to break at the 2 thin bits where it goes around the lock barrel. No easy fix there, can`t weld/ solder/ glue it back. Perhaps one day it may be viable to look at getting them CNC carved out of solid billet, or even 3D printed.

Allan @ DTA wrote:
I have no issue with superchargers, they are for guys who want to drive a car rather than talk about horsepower with their baseball cap on backwards
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have these door handles you can see here..

Off of some old VW hatchback thing. I have not removed one of my 931 handles to compare so I don't know if they fit or if any parts of them will interchange etc.
Just snagged em..
unheardofinstruments  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: doorhandles photos Reply with quote

I am chasing 81-2 type that actuate downwards and the pawls bend towards the front of the car instead of the back, they are all apparently broken would be great to 3d print something stronger too. I may be able to host some pics soon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: