Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Handle same as VW ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okaydokay
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke

Last edited by Grenadiers on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakkq wrote:
Get them from www.performanceproducts.com

Search your car year, make, and type in door handles.

I got a set here and they fit and work just like new.

$199 for left and $279 for right WTF

just to clarify: not all vw handles are plastic just the new ones you can buy now. they were cast alloy (are on my vw)
the inner door handles are exactly the same and the outer seals are the same.

ndrk, could you provide a link, would be an interesting read.
9XX Girl!  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenadiers wrote:
snore...

What do you mean "snore" - handles are fun!
!tom  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was in reference to his offer of a handle for $50, including shipping and a key.
Jakkq  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco R16V wrote:
Jakkq wrote:

What year are you looking at? I think there are some specific door handles that fit only 77-79. I bought my handles for $80 something a piece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Harm  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Handle same as VW ?? Reply with quote

Harm wrote:
rcoble wrote:
Ive been trying to locate a 77-79 outer door handle.
Anyone know it is the same spec as some VW mod/year?

Owning both, I'll make you a comparison photograph today that will delete this doorhandle myth.

I took pictures yesterday but haven't got to a final conclusion yet; I'm doing research now. Problem that occurred is though the VW is a '79er (small tail lights) its got the plastic door handles; darn.
Regards, Harm.
mikebola  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my buddy's 85 cabriolet had the exact same handles as my porsche. I don't know if the inside bits are the same, but I was told by multiple VW guys that they're the EXACT same.
Harm  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Handle same as VW ?? Reply with quote

mikebola wrote:
my buddy's 85 cabriolet had the exact same handles as my porsche. I don't know if the inside bits are the same, but I was told by multiple VW guys that they're the EXACT same.

Hi Mike,
Don't believe everything these VW guys say It could be a 15 minutes job to bold Porsche door handles to a VW, but it doesn't go the other way around, easily. As far as I have read/researched it will only work with doorhandles (chrome?) of the early cars, so before 1980 ('77-'79) but no guaranteeing, yet

The following figurs came up through Google wich could mean there is even a difference between the 78 and '79 door handles first being chrome and then became the black versions?:
- 477837037 Outside Door Handle Chrome Left & Right 924 thru Ch#9248200356 ( 78 )
- 477837037B Outside Door Handle Black Left & Right 924 from Ch#9248200357 ( 78 ) thru 79 924 Turbo thru Ch#93AO

There are a lot of strings but no clou :::!THIS IS NOT A WRITE-UP or How-To!:::

Bigger picture: The leaver inside the door handle on the early 70's 924 Porsches are different from the younger 80's ones. Here is a picture of an early chrome doorhandle (belongs to RC, thanks) wich shows a different leaver end, the dark bit sticking out at the right just before the end where the bold goes. The first three digits of the part number are clearly not 191 but pretty unclear.

What is good about this handle is that the smaller side (slide-in & hook-up) is the right one as the '80s version with the 3mm gap.

I haven't found any more info on these chrome handles but the 79 PET does show a different lock mechanism for these old type of door handles, probably a push lever and one plastic rod? The 80's models do use two rods. Could some one please confirm on the opening/lock mechanism of the early ones…in a convincing way? Pics would be nice

Here are the PET images compared:

Here is my spare 80s one:

I compared my Golf 80's plastic VW door handle to the one I took of my 1982 924. First thing I noticed is both haven't got a catalog number on them, odd, so I can't tell what I've pictured here except its VW-Audi branded. Notice that the Porsche leaver is longer and therefore more powerfull in lever strength.

Porsche uses one bold; VW uses two bolds, one on both ends, so it wil easily hold tight. Porsche uses the ‘slide-in & hook-up’ pawl with a 3mm gap.

Do people tend to place a nut on the inside of they're Porsche 924 door to bold these VW handle versions down, or what, to overcome the 7mm difference? Please, share your experience if you have replaced them.

Both type of handles have different linkages on the inside that are not compatible. You will have to swap these:
One beeing farely easy couse its held to the actual lock cilinder with a philips screw: No harm there. just a simple swap and you're done.
Two is the mechanism that responds/attaches to the leaver and moves into the car to open the door; VW's use levers to press against other levers sticking out of the lock mechanism. And the 924 (1980+) use link rods to connect to the door latch (threaded piece down a rod with two bends) and lock (plastic). Here is a picture with the leavers pulled:

These could be swapped after you do a bit of drilling? Make sure they are TIGHT in there spot when you put it/them in there new/other door handle.

(Maybe put something like nylon washers between them to get rid of the wear/flimsyness that has build up in ±30 years of use)

mikebola wrote:
85 cabriolet… exact same handles as my porsche. I don't know if the inside bits are the same, but I was told by multiple VW guys that they're the EXACT same.

Conclusion so far is it looks the same and the inside is indeed different …but can be altered. It wouldn't function with out doing some major mods.
Now the door handles I compared (Golf mk1 vs Porsch924) are not your starting position for a mod, thats good because there is a better (plastic?) alternative and that's the Fox ('87-93) door handles that will have the same pawl-thing(?whatsitcalled) that will make removing and placing the exterior door handle real easy (meaning: not having to take that doorcard off again etc.)

The brand is ‘Ellen’, but I did see another set of these in a brand called ‘Brazil’ …but it used the same picture?!
- Volkswagen Fox Door Handle Ellen KLIK
- Volkswagen Fox Door Handle Brazil KLIK

Could some one compare one of these analog and agree they would fit easy. Finding out there are steel replacements would be nice too.
Volkswagen Fox Door Handle Front - Left Outer O3020-19129 (!these numbers start with the Big Oh, upper case greek letter OMEGA)
Volkswagen Fox Door Handle Front - Right Outer O3020-19130

Again: :::!THIS IS NOT A WRITE-UP or How-To!:::

Some answers to the questions stated above would be nice so we can get rid of the myth that ALL VW door handles fit the Porsche 924 as plug'n'play …bringing it down to one pare of descent (steel, VW) replacements would be very nice

Regards, Harm.

Edit01: Bold = Bolt, pardon, and removed dead links.

Last edited by Harm on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikebola  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled out a rabbit handle and compared it to my 79's handle. It's close enough to make it work, but it's not a drop in. Sheesh, why does the 79 have such a simple design compared to all the other handles? Ah well, I'll prolly just buy a pair of flushmount rabbit handles and go to town with JB weld, extra plastic, and CA glue...
Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakkq wrote:
Rocco R16V wrote:
Jakkq wrote:

What year are you looking at? I think there are some specific door handles that fit only 77-79. I bought my handles for $80 something a piece.

1980 931
RC  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great research there Harm and an excellent write up.

The part # cast on one of these handles (pictured) is: 823.837.207.A Another chrome handle has: 11.102.6 casted. Other handles do not have any numbers but all of them, including Porsche ones, have the 4 ring Audi symbol.

These handles are the same as a 76 Fox, at least Au market ones anyway. Sure both I have on now are the identical Fox ones, which I snapped up as spares from all the VW wreckers in 2 states. They are indeed different to the plastic Golf handles as is also the catch & locking mechanism.
Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at HARM's write-up i can say the early 70's do use the same as Golf1 and the handle pictured comparing the vw to Porsche is a Golf2 handle not Golf 1

Since there is so much handle knowledge here, I thought I would ask.
The Scirocco 1 handles are different than the rabbit handles and are very hard to find, even though every seller says "fits all rabbit(golf 1) and scirocco's". (scirocco2's are the same)

The scirocco1 lever inside the door pushes down instead of in. and not same as golf 2

Does anyone know if there is another car that uses this handle?
Is this the same as the Porsche and fox? (lever looks very close)

Thanks!
Harm  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Handle same as VW ?? Reply with quote

RC wrote:
Some great research there Harm and an excellent write up.
The part # cast on one of these handles (pictured) is: 823.837.207.A Another chrome handle has: 11.102.6 casted. Oth…

Thanks RC!
I'll put that in the picture later on.
Rocco R16V wrote:
Looking at HARM's write-up i can say the early 70's do use the same as Golf1 and the handle pictured comparing the vw to Porsche is a Golf2 handle not Golf 1

Sorry Rocco, it looks like you are mistaken. I've got two mk1 vw's stored; One being a 1979 and the other one a 1983 and they both use the same kind of door handles (see above pictures). I do not own a Mk2 (1984+?)… do you?
So for the Golf it could mean the Mk1 made in 1980+ and Mk2 have the same doorhandles,
that look the same from the outside,
very much like the 924 ones,
but won't fit plug'n'play…

Rocco R16V wrote:
Does anyone know if there is another car that uses this handle?
Is this the same as the Porsche and fox? (lever looks very close)
Thanks!

Can't help you there directly but will look out for them.

The Golf Mk1/Rabbit was build from 1974 and was replaced by the Mk2 in 1985. But in that ten year periode of production there was a major upgrade/change around 1980 to remain competetive on the car market.
Biggest visual outside change was the tail light section going from narrow to wide. …It could be they also changed the door lock mechanism around that time. (I cannot confirm that; got both and they have the same door handles, sorry)
The Porsche 924 had a simular upgrade around that time, one of them concerning the door handles and lock mechanism.
If you're looking for Golf handles to fit your early Porsche 924 please do mention it should be the early Mk1 version, the pre 1980 model.

Regards, Harm.

ps I'll do some research soon about the fusebox myth. It could be early Golf/rabbit too
Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok your probably right the rabbit i had was a '77 and i had to replace the handles and they were the like the first pic (early porsche) not going by outside but by lever style.

I did own a mk2 golf, but dont now.
I think the change happened in '78 or '79

when i get to my car later i will take pics of the scirocco handles for reference and take off one of my '80 porsche handles and compare them.
Harm  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Handle same as VW ?? Reply with quote

Rocco R16V wrote:
I think the change happened in '78 or '79

You are right. The change took place in 1977.
http://www.golf1-ig.de/golf/model/index.php wrote:
August 1977
Türgriffe, vorher aus verchromten Guss mit schwarzer Einlage, jetzt aus Kunststoff in Schwarz mit verchromter Einlage.

Rocco R16V wrote:
I did own a mk2 golf, but dont now.

Compared several Rabbits and the Mk2 Golf door handles and you are right again:
They share the same (wrong) plastic door handles as pictured earlier in this thread.
I guess the Scirocco Mk1 door handles could be the same: Any pics?

There have been pics of Fox door handles on vwvortex that showed they are the same as the ones used on our late 924. However vwvortex has gone through some changes lately and I haven't seen the info and pictures since.
Any info on aftermarket VW door handles that actualy fit would be nice.

Regards, Harm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: