Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

About to do a Turbo Replacement....Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobDumoulin  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Removed the exhaust pipe from my turbo and oil dripped out. I assume turbo is the cause of massive oil smoke at idle and when I let off gas. Car has great power and good compression. Anyway, I have the Hayes manual telling me how to replace the turbo, but is there anything else I need to know? Oil pressure seems weak and I'm afraid my turbo will blow again if it was caused by low oil pressure.
ericj001  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought, if you have good compression, maybe your getting bad readings from your oil pressure gauge? are you using synthetic oil? i noticed a small difference when i changed over to mobil 1. id try changing the oil first, then maybe trouble shooting the gauge (check sending unit and ground). maybe hook up anther gauge to verify. if you still have low pressure, might want to start thinking about a new oil pump. hate to see you put in a new turbo and blow your engine due to an oil pressure issue...
ill be putting in a new turbo shortly, ive got the factory workshop manual, and haynes, but if anyone has any words of wisdom, please share them..
thanks,
cs  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spend countless hours trying to install the turbo myself, but with the help of my grandfather it only took about ten minutes to set it in place and get the lines and bolts started. someone else here may know a secret that i don't, but i wouldn't ever try to put it on by myself again. i don't know about everyone else but i took my crossmember off.
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dropped head gasket keeper into turbo.

nice.

used a magnet on a tube to get it out after flucking for hours.
cs  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the little hex hed nuts (that holds the turbo to the top mount) came up missing after i already had every other nut and bolt back on the turbo. came close to taking the turbo back off, but i found it before i did.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did me a couple a them thar turbo replacements a few years back. Sucked tremendously as I recall. Partly because I'd never done it before and part because I did it on the driveway in full sun during a heat wave. I did more than one because the first time, I tried rebuilding the turbo myself - never again. Don't remember details of it too well, but; I do recall putting together a 3/8" socket wrench with about 2.5' of extensions to remove/reattach the oil line to the top of the turbo. I held disassembly of the rest of the engine to a minimum - didn't remove the cylinder head or exhaust manifold. Also, the intake and exhaust sides of the turbo can be turned and oriented in any position, so; if you're going to take it apart out of curiosity or anything, mark each piece beforehand so it can be put back together as it was. The new/rebuilt turbo that you get may be assembled in a slightly different way than the one you take off, so; you'll want to be able to compare old and new before installing the new one.
larso  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think this would cause oil to gush out but check to see if your valve seals are still there, it's gotta be the turbo or them since your COMP is ok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: