Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Supercooler intercooler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwak  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those folks who want their airconditioning and performance, I have a brilliant idea. For that extra kick now and again, temporarily direct the downstream turbo air through the frosty aircon.
dwak
dvarholy  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also considered this possibility since I have a background in refrigeration. Theoreticly, it should work, but the power draw of the compressor may likely exceed any power gain by the engine. However, the compressor would only need to be running when significant boost is present. Does anyone know the BTU rating of a 924 compressor?

Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell why not make a smaller IC and run it through the core of the A/C and then it will get extremely cool air
dwak  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be much simpler to fill the interior area with extremely cool air from the aircon and whenever you needed a performance boost, you divert your engine air intake into the cab. Just hang onto your hairpiece.
dwak
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading a while back (on autospeed.com I think) that Ford and a couple of other major car companies have registered design patents for systems based on aircon-style cooling of the intake charge.

Yep, the brain is still working - take a look at http://www.autospeed.com/A_0436/page1.html
John H  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter might remeber this but sometime ago in the Aussie Group A cars one of the drivers "accidently" had his fire extingusher go off over his intercooler (Car was a Ford Sierria) and surprise surprise he imediatley had an extremely quick lap time.

So guys just set up afire extinguisher to dump the cold air over an intercooler and you're away.

I tried running the cooling coil of an A/c unit over my intercooler to give a nice bit of cold air when racing - it sort of worked but took a fair bit of power to drive the ac pump. Really wasn't worth the effort especialy when the guys I was racing with introduced a rule outlawing it.
dwak  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting. A bottle of supercooled compressed air blasting into the intake on command. Sounds familiar. How many steps are we away from nitrous.
dwak
numbers  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, I seem to remember Lars bringing up this topic a couple of years back. Also, Autospeed did a test a while back where they sprayed a refrigerant on an intercooler as they did dyno tests, and found the gain was very small. So, it seems that the answer lies in getting the liquid chilled in an ait to water unit, not is just blowing cold air on an air to air unit. I would like to experiment with this when I get my air to water IC built, but I don't have a clue what to use for the coolant resovior. Any ideas?
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an empty propane cylinder? -or a couple of them?
wdb  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a $5.oo styrofoam cooler covered in fiberglass.filled with dry ice and alchohol. 400 degrees below zero should be just right for the intake charge. hold on to your fillings
larso  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to drive with a really long intake hose on the car. If you live near the US/CANADIAN border you drive along the border and get you intake hose to suck the cold air from canada in, while you baking in the sun in the US in your car. I once hooked up a 20,000 mile hose to my car and sucked air in from the north pole while driving. Unfortunately the hose managed to strangle too many polar bears with my automatic return coilup device (used one from a vacuum) so I could not get a patent.
dwak  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley you're exaggerating, Lars.
dwak
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell why not just have the IC inside a insulated tank filled with liquid nitrogen fairly cheap to fill as the liquid nitrogen evaporates, if you want the liquid nitrogen for cheap get someone who owns a farm to go down to a place where you can buy cown sperm comes in a 5 gallon pail you just pull the sperm through it away drop the lquid nitrogen into your own little holding tank then return there canister, just dont drop any on you, and now you have -100 celcius air going into your intake
dwak  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cow sperm? Is this a scientific term for bull 'spoof' once the cow has taken possession of it?
dwak
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no when i say that i really mean bull perm or spoof if you want to call it that, farmers get it to AI (artifically inseminate) there cows so they dont have to keep a bull, it is really easy to get ahold of
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: