Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How to: fixing a broken hood pop (pics included)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Fast  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: How to: fixing a broken hood pop (pics included) Reply with quote

Well last night I decided to fix this rather annoying problem. When I started, I thought I might as well try to make a How-to, to possibly help others

Tools/supplies needed:
Drill
1/4 drill bit
Rivit gun
4 3/16 diameter rivits
Philips screw driver
Flat-head screwdriver
Punch
Hammer

1. Removing the rivets on the hood release:

Grab your drill, and put your 1/4 drill bit in it. Set the drill on top of one of the rivit heads, and start to drill slowly. Make sure your drill is on about the center of the rivit head, and make sure when you drill its going straight down on the rivit.

*Note-make sure you get all four of the rivits*

Make sure you don't drill too far, or you have a chance of going threw the factory mount and increasing the holes diameter. You should drill them down about this far...

After you have drilled all of the rivet heads, you need to grab your punch, and a hammer. Set the punch on the rivet head, and give it a good thump with your hammer. It will nock the rivit out, do this to all four rivits. Once you have done that, grab your screw drivers. There is a flat headed screw, and a philips screw. Unscrew them, and the cable should pull right out.

Reinstalling a hood release/cable:After you have replaced your hood cable, or the hood relase itself you need to reinstall it. To go anyfurther and do it the factory way, you need a rivit gun and rivits. They look like this...

Now if you don't have one of these, you can use some screws and bolts. To reattach the cable you need to run the cable up to this piece...

*Note-It is a 10mm bolt*

The cable goes threw a hole put in the hood relaese mount. Then it runs threw two holes on the hood release itself, than lastly threw the part where the two screws attach. Grab some pliers, and pull the cable tight, then with your other hand, tighten the flat head screw. Grab your rivit gun, and re-rivit the hood release back in its original place. Then bam! Your all done!

Adismo  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude you help a lot i didnt know how to reseamble
2Fast  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adismo wrote:
Thanks dude you help a lot i didnt know how to reseamble
Ya! No problem!
Nobbi  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! If you hold that thing in your hands dont forget to clean it and give it a good pack off fresh grease,will let it work for the next 20 years...
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was very helpful. I recently replaced the hood release cable in my 924 turbo and have some additional comments and pics.

1. At least in the 924 turbo...the air box must be removed to remove the mechanism. Not a big deal, just a couple of extra steps

2. Removing the steering wheel makes the job easier; I found that I had to get my head up under the dash several times.

There is a metal tab right after the firewall that guides the hood release cable. Once you remove the old cable/grommet, you can see it from under the dash through the hole. I had to use a long screw driver to pry it up...route the cable and then push it back down to keep the cable in place.

3. This thread has some helpful pictures to illustrate how the cable is routed
https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=39229&highlight=hood+release

In my case, I had to loosen the bracket holding the overflow bottle to snake it through.

4. These are the rivets I used, worked perfectly.

5. It seems like every project on this car requires a new tool. This rivet gun from Home Depot worked well.

6. I removed the mechanism and cleaned it with parts cleaner, then added new grease as suggested above. Works much better. 40 years of dirt and grime prevented it from moving freely.

7. Here is a picture of the mechanism from behind showing how the cable is routed and attached to the hood release.

8. Use cable ties to route the cable out of the way of the pop up headlight mechanism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: