Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Is a V8 swap even feasible on the early cars?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Is a V8 swap even feasible on the early cars? Reply with quote

My brother's Chevy 355 blew a head gasket and he's getting rid of it. He's offered it to me for my 924 turbo (1980) - it has a tuned port injection, is about 450 HP and quite a monster - he's getting rid of it along with a 700 R4 automatic transmission (I have no idea what that is - stall converter, stuff like that attached).

Anyway, is this totally unreasonable for the '80 924 turbo? Roughly how many $ thousands to do it? I have a guy nearby who's interested in doing the job - haven't got a dollar figure yet - he's talking about swapping a Ford rear end into it. He's built a few drag cars and drag bikes and I've seen his work.

Doable? Crazy? Too much money?

I have had other plans for the car that I would like to keep - I just think I need verification that this is going to be waaay too much of a project to consider.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford rear end? I just barfed a little.

Chevy is selling bare Camaro chassis for $7000, put it in one of those.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think such a project is upwards of $5-$10K which makes it totally out of my league. I think on the early cars there's a helluva lot more work to do than on a 944 or an 'S'.

The Camaro is a better place for it.

Thinking about it, ...I hate letting go of things offered for free, but I think I'm going to pass on his offer - great engine, but no place for it.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feasible? Of course! Just dont try to use anything but the engine and mate it to the tourque tube. Head on over to www.porschehybrids.com where they have a great wiki setup detailing the chevy swap.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just dont try to use anything but the engine and mate it to the tourque tube.

Yes well that's part of the issue - brother wants me to use the trans too - he says it's a really nice transmission. He's hell bent on giving it to me but, like, I'd almost have to put it in the bathroom until I was ready to install it - I've already got one engine planned for the apartment in about 3 weeks time.

I think he has this image of me making a drag car - there's a track nearby with 1/4 mile but although I like fast cars I would want this to remain a 'road car' with all the trimmings - nice paint, stereo, good for Sunday drives.

I have a plan to put in a relatively fresh stock 924 engine and I'm going to stick with that until a fairy drops $5000 in my lap.

It's an intriguing possibility though - I might kick myself in a couple of years but I think I can get by on the stock 924 turbo engine for the next 5 years if I drive like I'm sane.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Ford rear end? I just barfed a little.

Why? They are widely acknowledged as the most desirable setup for drag cars, much more stout than anything Chevy or Mopar, and easily converted at the track to different ratios depending on your needs. You might be surprised at the number of Chevys and Mopars driving around with Ford diffs, at least around here in the Motor City.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose its the "Cast-Iron-V8-and-Live-Axle-in-a-Beloved-Toofah" that gets me illin, Dan.

And as for "Motor City". . .hope you have a new name in the works!
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
I suppose its the "Cast-Iron-V8-and-Live-Axle-in-a-Beloved-Toofah" that gets me illin, Dan.

Ahh, got it...I thought it was the Ford thing...

Rasta Monsta wrote:

Hey, we'll always be the Motor City...even if all the OEMs die off around here, people still love their cars in this town, and I don't think you'll find another city on this continent that compares in that regard.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo wrote:
Quote:
Just dont try to use anything but the engine and mate it to the tourque tube.

Yes well that's part of the issue - brother wants me to use the trans too - he says it's a really nice transmission. He's hell bent on giving it to me but, like, I'd almost have to put it in the bathroom until I was ready to install it - I've already got one engine planned for the apartment in about 3 weeks time.

I think he has this image of me making a drag car - there's a track nearby with 1/4 mile but although I like fast cars I would want this to remain a 'road car' with all the trimmings - nice paint, stereo, good for Sunday drives.

I have a plan to put in a relatively fresh stock 924 engine and I'm going to stick with that until a fairy drops $5000 in my lap.

It's an intriguing possibility though - I might kick myself in a couple of years but I think I can get by on the stock 924 turbo engine for the next 5 years if I drive like I'm sane.

I'm not sure where you're getting the costs, I would suggest you go read the link I provided and understand what it is exactly you'd need to do to make it work. Print some of the pages and go get a couple of quotes.

If he gives you the transmission, thank him and then sell it on eBay or Craigslist and put that money towards the engine swap.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I went to this link here http://www.porschehybrids.com/php/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=604 called '924' and found a 931 Series II (mine is a Series I) whose list was as follows:

Things I've had to do to mine
- make an adapter plate for the TT to the bellhousing
- make my own motor mounts
- rework the brake lines / mastercyclinder. (still working on that one) Dont forget the brake booster has to be removed unless you do what porschev did. check out his stuff too, good info.
- shortened the TT but let the driveshaft the same length so it fit into the bearing on the engine.
- modified the drivers side firewall for clearence.
- modified frame rails for header clearence
- reroute fuel lines
- I'm going to remove the internal / external fuel pumps soon since I'm not using fuel injection. I'm sticking with the stock chevy mechanical fuel pump
- relocated the speedo stuff to keep the heat from the headers away from it
- new radiator for the v8 and mounting (I"m getting a custom alum. rad)
- soon will need to get the custom exhaust work done too

I don't know where I'd get a torque tube and transmission to handle 450 some HP however...ours on the 931 will handle like at most 300 right? I would think that the 951 transmission would be way appropriate for brother's engine - has the strength and the gearing (I would think).

Anyway, I'll take this list over to his garage and ask him.

Good links btw. Still leafing through them...

Renegade however has $2K kits - if I could convince him to get a 85 944 (5 bolt, Audi box) I'm sure he could find one cheap right now.
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

LOL

Seriously, Detroit has a lot of other things besides cars that they can do, like, chicken wings. They have the best chicken wings. And beer. They could make beer. They could be, like, 'Chicken Wings and Beer City'.

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo wrote:
'Chicken Wings and Beer City'

Bow before your new Mayor, bitches.
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to shorten the TT. You could get by with the 931 transaxle for awhile. There are some guys on the board that are making bellhousing adapters for the late Vette (C5) bellhousing that will work. Also, Quicktime has a bellhousing now that is made for the swap, courtesy of on of the guys on porschehybrids.com's work. You can buy it direct from them, p/n RM6033.

There is a guy with a 931 and Buick GN engine on the board as well.

The 951 transaxle will be fine with the Chevy. One of the guys on the board has a 944 with a Magnason supercharged LS1 that drag races it.

Many of us have made all of our parts. There are two ways to keep power brakes. BMW or Bendix hydroboost. I have the BMW unit on mine.

There is a set of off the shelf shorty headers that bolt on or you can use vette manifolds.

You can use the 951 radiator and fans to cool it.

???
Adie  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, seems like you have been talking this project for many many years now?
xdirtyx  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt it graduate to murder city there for awhile? an if u love yer cars so damn much why dont u fix the damn streets!! i bought 3 205/40/16 BFGs while i was there @ $140 a pop part of the reason i left lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: