Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

change your shocks and keep alignment.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: change your shocks and keep alignment. Reply with quote

Kind of a no brainer, but for those who are not familiar with the proscess, here are some how-to tips.

First order of business, if you are going to change your front shocks (strut inserts) you are going to have to have some specialized tools to break down the strut assembly. Tools to have are:

-High quality spring compressor set. (rent one from your local parts store)
-A jack and two jackstands.
-Metric socket set.
-Huge chanel-lock pliers, or even better a pipe wrench.
-Hammer and broad punch.
-Possibly an air impact gun.

The latter you may be able to get by without using. Carefully.

A sure sign of suspension failure. Shock oil all over the place!!!

Step 1, squirt a little penetrating oil on the top center shock nut inside the engine compartment the night before. Loosen your wheel lugs, then jack up the car on BOTH sides and place on jackstands. THis is necessary because with one side of the vehicle down, the sway bar will prevent you from dropping the suspension arm enough to get the strut past the fender. Remove the front wheels. Before you do anything else, see if you can loosen the top center shock nut. THis is really important if you dont have air tools. I have been able to loosen SOME without an impact gun. If you are disposing of the shock because it is bad, you can grip the piston rod with vice grips or a pipe wrench. THis will ruin the rod, but if the shock is bad, who cares right? IF the shock is to be saved, you can grip the spring plate located at the top of the spring with a pair of vice grips while attempting to loosen the shock nut with a breaker bar. I have found this to be the best method. If you get it loose, DO NOT REMOVE IT! YOu only want it loose at this point
There is a good chance the bolt will be frozen with rust and will require an impact gun. If you dont have one, drive to a shop that does and have them break the nut loose. Again, the nut should NOT be removed. Drive the car home and jack it back up and pop the wheels off.

Step 2, Now you get to use the spring compressors. Put them on opposite sides of the strut as shown.

Now tighten them equally untill your spring is compressed a few inches. At this point you can remove the shock nut and let the shock drop through the bearing.

Now compress the spring more and more untill you can tilt the strut past the fender. This is harder than it sounds, you will have to press down on the whole suspension arm to clear the fender. Challenging, but do-able. You may want to tape a towel over the outside of your fender to protect it.

Once you get the strut past the fender, you can simply lift the spring off.

THis leaves the beastly task of removing the strut tube cap. If you thought the shock nut was a pain in the nutts, this is worse. This is where your hammer, punch, and long pipe wrench or chanel-locks come into play.

The cap must be unscrewed, and it takes some muscle. You can either do it by grabbing it with a pipe wrench, or by tapping the notch counter clockwise with a hammer and punch. It took a little bit of both to do this one.

With the cap off the shock simply slides up and out. Your new shock may have assorted spacers to make it fit the tube. You may also find that your shocks are the old oil type, not the nice clean gas unit you just bought. In this case you just pull everything out and mop the oil out of the tube with a rag. Important note here, if you are racing or driving vigerously enough to generate alot of heat in the shock tower, you can put some transmission fluid in the tube before you put the gas insert in. THis helps to cool the cartridge. The fluid should come no more than two thirds up the tube when the insert is in place. This prevents boil over and leakage.
Assembly is the reverse of what you just did. Make sure to be careful to line up the bumps in the spring shelf and spring topper plate with the spring ends.

It is easy once you do it a time or two. Have fun! I know I did.

morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha...whats better than a 924S..? two 924S
good info i bet that there are people that dont know this.
bruni  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. It looks like you have a RH disc fitted to the left hand side
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually drilled that disc. The vents in the disc are straight so the orientation of the holes does not matter.

Last edited by joecitizennn on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats how its done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bruni  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually made that disc, and intended the pattern of holes to turn forward. Does the pattern usually go the other way? I cant see how it would matter.

Ooops sorry, I thought it was a vented disc, if it's solid it makes no differance
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its an S disc, it's vented.

Good to see you back Joe C. . .you disappeared for a while.
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is vented and cross-drilled. The vents do not curve, they radiate straight out from the hub. . The arrangement of the holes in spirals is cosmetic and does not indicate spiraling vents.

I ended switching the sides the rotors were on so now it looks cosmetic-correct.

Last edited by joecitizennn on Thu May 03, 2012 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:

Good to see you back Joe C. . .you disappeared for a while.

Last edited by joecitizennn on Thu May 03, 2012 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just finished my struts, I'll add a little info for newbies like me. Using the new mounts P/N 944 343 071 00, there is a 6mm spacer needed below the mount that does not seem to be available anywhere. I used two 1/2" washers and a 5/16" fender washer drilled and ground out to size. came out .022" too thick, but I'll live with it. The mount also needs a bushing inserted into the top. The bushing is in the original mount bearing and can be pulled out. Hope this helps someone as it had me really confused for a time.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Brendan  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike--

It took a couple years, but that was a huge help for me.

Thanks,
Brendan
Slam  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write-up, but spring compressors scare the crap out of me. I posted some pics and procedural stuff in the thread below for those who don't want to use compressors.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=33966&highlight=
'80 924 - gone
'78 924 - gone
'77 924 - rusting comfortably
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could paste that here on this thread if you wanted. The more pictures the merrier.
87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: