Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1JZ-GTE? Lets give it a go!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trgrenier  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: 1JZ-GTE? Lets give it a go! Reply with quote

So after searching around, and seeing that people have got the 1J into a 944, I have decided to take up the task

Car-77 924
Engine 1JZ (2.5l inline 6 twin turbo)
Transmission 951 turbo

The work is going to be done by a fabricator friend of mine who is familiar with the transaxles are cars use as he spent 10 years building dune buggies before he settled down and started his shop.

I have ordered the engine it lands on the 10th, I am just sourcing the tranny and 944 torque tube (which will have to be cut and balanced). When I get the project started ill make sure to post pictures and a detailed write up so we have a choice other then the v8 swap.

Anyone know what I can do with the suspension!?
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrified.

Trgrenier  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiosity, so I've put a couple hours in today-few more to come with a couple pictures. However anyone know of any tricks on removing the brake booster? Another question, is anyone looking for any parts for the 2.0 slow? or CIS system? as both as in good working order.
jim kleyh  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: re parts Reply with quote

Hi, I will likely be looking for parts this spring if they are still available. I did get my car to run this past fall but likely need to go throuugh everything from A-Z as soon as the weather warms and the snow's gone from the car's roof. Keep us posted.
Trgrenier  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: re parts Reply with quote

jim kleyh wrote:
Hi, I will likely be looking for parts this spring if they are still available. I did get my car to run this past fall but likely need to go throuugh everything from A-Z as soon as the weather warms and the snow's gone from the car's roof. Keep us posted.

I was quite lucky that our snow started to melt which is why I have started already (live in Calgary Alberta). Let me know and give me a PM when you know what you want as far as interior goes you don't want anything I've got. Engine was this car actually ran perfectly. I just got bored of the amount of "pull" it has from factory
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The booster is a piece of cake to remove, three bolts under the dash, disconnect the push rod to the master cylinder, and out she comes (well, of course, you also have to disconnect the lines to the master cylinder!).

Kokeln used to make a dual master boosterless setup for the 944 that should be essentially bolt-in for the 924, but I'm not sure if they still make them. If you can find one of those, that would be the easiest way to deal with it, although the brake feel will obviously be quite a bit different.

If you can't find the Kokeln setup, then the next best thing would be to go with a Tilton dual cylinder boosterless setup. They are not cheap, and they are not model-specific, so it will require some fabrication to mount, but nothing like what's ahead of you for doing the engine swap

FWIW, I am a Tilton reseller, so let me know if I can assist you with any further information on the Tilton stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: