Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

3800 swap begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a cool project,and I think will be my favorite thread,so don't let me down.

I would like to help you anyway I can,although my engineering skills are not so sharp,compared to that of many others on this forum. I'm sure you are already aware of this,as I've thoroughly documented the deficiency of those skills.

However,I do have a considerable amount of experience with the L67 engine.I've built and modded three for myself and had my hands on a few others.During that time,I was around several L67 turbo conversions,which made enough power to hurt most LS1 owners feelings.Even if the V8 guys won by a fender,how can you brag about beating a front wheel drive,four door,V6 sedan with your C5 corvette?

My opinion is somewhat bias,because I've allways prefered turbos over superchargers,needless to say, if I ever again,consider a 3800 project,it will definitely be turbocharged.Besides me simply liking turbos,the fact is,the L67 with the M90 makes less power and power levels are alot more peaky than a L67 equipped with a turbo making the same amount of boost.Even though on a dyno,the increase in peak power levels may not seem that impressive,In the "real world",as in,at the drag strip or drag racing on a back road(across the boarder in Mexico)The defference is dramatic, almost like a NA 3800 racing a 3800SC.

The point,I wanted to make,If your still considering turbocharging the engine,I think it's a great ideal.Besides all the other benefits from the turbo,I'm just not"feeling" the ideal of the throttle body,sticking through the firewall.I'm sure it will work just fine,but I doubt that I could live with it.

I'm sure someone is going to ask,why you paid more for a supercharged engine,instead of buying an NA,if you had given any consideration to possibly turbocharging it.Many would assume the CR is lower,which it is,but there is also a durability issue,as the L67 has beefer connecting rods.The NA engine,even with compression lowering mods,Is nowhere near as durable as the SC engine.Although the NA versions have been successfully boosted and made very respectable power,I highly recommend not doing such,as I've seen the devastation,caused by boosting the 3800 NA.Although it's mostly caused by improper tuning,The "explosion" I witnessed happen while the engine was being tuned.

The point I wanted to make,don't feel like,you have to use the supercharger,because you paid extra money to get a supercharged engine.I can understand the feeling of guilt,when wasting money,while working with a slim budget.The fact is,that model M90 is not worth very much anymore,and the additional cost for the L67 over the price of the NA is mostly due to the beefed up long block,which in my opinion,is worth every penny of the additional cost.

What is the mileage on the engine?If it's in decent shape,$600 was an awesome deal!!!

That's about all of my "2 cents" I have time for now,but I'm sure there will be more later.I hope I can be of some help to you,in the future

I'm also wondering what you had in mind for the VSS input to the ECM?

Thanks...
Chad

Inspector: These brakes look completely inadequate.
Burt Munro: Well, I'm planning on going, not stopping.
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U really are turbo bias but that's cool I'm kinda like that too I got the l67 cause it is already set up for boost (lower compression bigger injectors and what not). I considered a turbo but in the end I think that a hole in the firewall and no heater is goin to be a lot cheaper and easier to do then a turbo there are so many extra parts that I would have to buy if I did a turbo (turbo intercooler tubing blow off waste gate intake headers) so this seems like a Better route I think I will have enough problems with this swap I dby really want to think bout what a turbo would involve. I'm not really sure what I'm goin to do about the computer and wiring yet I still need to get a wiring harness. I think I'm goin to look into what the do to put the l67 on dune buggys. But yea any help would be great thanks man.
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad. I got a few ? Ok I figure ur caddy engine is about the same size as my l67 so how does it fit did U have any major clearance problems did u have any problems with the brake booster. Also do ur mootor mounts wrk good cause ill probably build some bout like that. Did I have any problems with the frnt accessories. Basically do all ur pulleys clear also what did u end up using for a radiator I've heard a 951 or 968 would wrk well. And what did I do for exhaust manifolds
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no real update for you at this time
havent made much progress

i did discover that i will need to shorten the torque tube buy about 3 inches
thats just the tube not the shaft
i need six or seven inches of shaft for the shaft to go into the crank
ive only got about four inches now so its got to be shortened

i still need to get my fly wheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder, and master clylinder

i think my adapter plate is gettin built this week

i think instead of just making a plate that bolts to the bell housing and the torque tube im goin to make a plate that will be wellded to the torque tube and then bolted to the bell housing. i figure that the torque tube wont be able to be used for anything else if i shorten it so what will i hurt to weld it on

ive got a question about the transaxle is it ok to make solid mounts or do i need to stick with the rubber ones mine are about shot and im wonderin if the car will shake apart if i dont have the rubber

i mite be loosing my heater
my intake is goin rite were the fan is so i mite be loosing the heater

well thats it for now

hopefully i get somethin done this weekend
Martijnus  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about some pics while you're at it?
that's what makes such a topic fun.

Good luck!

924 "50-jahre", 1981.
MSII/extra, LPG, ITB's, 5lug.
To be turbo'ed in a while.
Killed her at the Nurburgring, Porscheless at the moment
chad-tanner  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcadam1121 wrote:
Chad. I got a few ? Ok I figure ur caddy engine is about the same size as my l67 so how does it fit did U have any major clearance problems did u have any problems with the brake booster. Also do ur mootor mounts wrk good cause ill probably build some bout like that. Did I have any problems with the frnt accessories. Basically do all ur pulleys clear also what did u end up using for a radiator I've heard a 951 or 968 would wrk well. And what did I do for exhaust manifolds

I don't know the exact size of the L67,but I'm sure it's smaller in all dimensions,compared to my caddy engine.My engine is actully somewhat large,as far as,"physical size".I'm really not wanting to give any disinformation or mislead anyone,because I don't have any measurments in my hand,and It's been too long,for me, to remember the exact measurments.

With that said,It may be a shock to some,because I read through my thread,and relized,I had not mentioned anything about the size of the caddy engine.The fact is,my engine is "considerably" larger than a small block chevy.like I said,I don't remember how many units of mearsurment it takes to make one unit of "considerable",but It is only my opinion that even one inch could be a large distance inside the 924 engine bay.

I sure hope,you don't think my engine swap has been completed.The fact is,other than some additional fabrication on the engine mount,there is not much that has not been documented in my thread.However,I'll still try to answer some of your questions.

Because of the large physical size of my engine,the power brake booster is a "no go".There is not enough room to relocate the booster,like PORSCHEV done with his.

You asked if my engine mounts work?,well it has obviously,not been in anyway tested.However,it seems to be very strong,My original intentions were to save space in critical areas.I doubt,I'll ever be accused of coping anyone's design,as my mount does not ressemble anything in automobile history.Which I'm sure, is not a good thing,as someone would have already done something similar.

You asked about my crank driven accessories,like the alternator,waterpump and etc.I don't think you will have any problem using your stock equipment.Since the caddy engine's serpentine system was desigined to run accessories,I would not use,such as power steering pump,A/C,and the oddly arranged waterpump.I decided to fabricate everthing from scratch.

I'm planning on using the 944 or 951 radiator, I've also given consideration to the Gen 3 camaro radiator.

No exhaust manifolds exist for my engine that are suitable for this application,I'll have to build them from scratch.

Thanks...
Chad

Inspector: These brakes look completely inadequate.
Burt Munro: Well, I'm planning on going, not stopping.
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i posted some more pics for you guys

ok this is the engine with the bellhousing and the adapter plate on it (sorry bout the clarity)

this is the adapter plate on the bellhousing

this is the picture of my new 5spd (new to me)

this is the picture of my old torque tube you guys prolly know what they look like but wtf

this is the original 4spd (if anyone needs one let me know)

Ok this is some what important if you plan on putting a 944 5spd in a 924 with a 4spd and and you want use as much of the original parts such as the shift linkage you need to swap out this part (not sure what its called) if you dnt you will have problems

ok this pic isnt that great but it is the torque tube connected to the adapter plate connected to the bellhousing

well so far the toughest thing that ive found about this swap is goin to be the wiring and computer for the engine
ive looked into fiero swaps and ive got some information about that and i could probably get it running but ive found an easier yet more exspensive method to do it
i talked to a dune buggy shop and they said that a company that i cant remmember the name of (it has "wind" in it) has just started making a wiring harness and computer for a l67 to swap on to a dune buggy

this kit will work perfect for my ap
it is pretty much a plug and play aplication

the kit cost like 1200 dollars and that will be the biggest investment of my project so far but it will be worth it i think

after i took pics i started cutting at the torque tube
ive found that i only need to take about an inch off of the torque tube
i cut the flange off of the end and ive got to weld it back on
i cut it so i could slide the flange over the tube and im goin to weld it back on at the rite measurement and then cut the excess off

any way theres an update for you
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is exciting to check out! More pics

Porsche 924 Wide Body LS1 Corvette 500 Horsepower Engine
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd like to see more!
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only get to work on it on the weekends so you i can post really once a week

ill hopefully get my tranny and torque tube put in this weekend and maybe get started on the motor mounts
ill have to get a cherry picker so i can put my engine in to see were it will sit

ill let you guys know what happened on monday and prolly have some more pics for you guys
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the picture of the slave cylinder that im goin to be using

this is the picture of the engine with the fly wheel and the pressure plate on it

ok boys bad new only two pictures this week and the arent very interesting
i didn't get nearly as much done this weekend as i would have liked but hopefully next weekend the tranny and torque tube will be goin in

what i did get done this weekend is I got my flywheel pressure plate and slave cylinder baught
i need to find a clutch dis that will work
i need a disc that is between 9 and 9.5 inches to fit my flywheel and pressure plate

(if you guys know a vehicle with a 1inch 23 spline shaft with a disc that size let me know)

i still have to get my master cylinder but after that and the disc i think all the drive train parts are all there

i did get my torque tube trimmed this weekend but i still need to get a good weld on the flange (ive got it tack welded on there but ive got a crappy old arc welder and want to mig weld it and ive got a professional welder as a buddy so im goin to have him weld it) my bro is taken to wrk and having my buddy weld it for me

once i get the flange welded on the stuff should be ready to go back in
at that point it is time to drop the motor in and start on motor mounts

theres your weekly update
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update found a disc
92 ford probe clutch disc
1 inch 23 spline 9 7/16
that is better then the alternative wich was like 270 bucks
this is like 42 dollars i think this is a better deal
then ive got to buy the master cylinder that is another 70 bucks
so i got about 120 bucks worth of stuff
jamez  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lookin good. My torque tube is basically the same setup as you are using, I had to cut about 2 inches off the housing if I remember correctly. I also used a hydraulic throwout bearing as you are.

Good luck and keep us posted...

-James
1977 924 w/ 1996 Chevy LT1
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you get me the numbers from the 4 speed? If it's an early 4 spd I am interested.
mcadam1121  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea itll be this weekend before i can get them what ones you need
it is either a 77 or 78 model
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: