Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

#10-11-12: Gave up GEIST, New Additions & Moral Dilemma
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Moral Dilema
Resurrect the 944
84%
 84%  [ 21 ]
Part out the 944
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 25

ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: #10-11-12: Gave up GEIST, New Additions & Moral Dilemma Reply with quote

So I finally got fed up with the 924S (see here, here and here). After fixing all of the issues, replacing the starter with a spare on the shelf, and replacing both the clutch master and slave cylinder, I finally gave up the GEIST.

So, the new additions:

Say hello to GEBLASN:

This is the same car that Vaughan resurrected in July 2007. The guy that purchased the car from Vaughan somehow managed to mess it up such that it wasn't running and had to be towed to my house. As it turns out, the DITC terminal had probably come loose, and the mixture had been BADLY messed up. Since tweaking a few things, the car has been running like a champ.

There's also a black 1987 924S in storage that will almost for sure be a parts donor. No photos of it yet...

And, this weekend, only the coldest weekend of the winter, Larry and I went to fetch a [wrong]1985.5[/wrong] [corrected]1985[/corrected] 944 out in Newaygo MI. The car was probably 20-30 yards off the road. There was a 3 foot furrow from the plow that we had to dig through, and about 18-24 inches of snow on the rest of the ground.

Was shaping up to be a long day...until Sherman showed up

Sherman lived right down the street, didn't know us from Adam, but saw us trying to dig out with my wimpy little snow blower. Long story short, he brought his front end loader / backhoe down to where we were. In about 10 minutes, he had all the snow out of the way, then he pulled the car out onto the road, and proceeded to drag it up onto the trailer for us. In 30 minutes, he accomplished what we would have been hard-pressed to do in half a day of hard work.

Back home safe and sound after a harrowing slippery 3 hour drive.

So, as for the Moral Dilema, I acquired the 944 just to part it out...but it's in such good shape, I'm not sure I can justify tearing it apart. At miminum, it'll need full FOES, tuneup parts, and an exhaust from the downpipe back. I still need to investigate the car thoroughly to evaluate further if it worth attempting a resurrection. It'll obviously fetch more $$$ in parts over time, but it also has potential. The body is in great shape overall, just a couple of minor issues, but no cancer whatsoever.

I won't be able to examine the timing belt until later this week...I don't want to break the steering lock, so I'm planning to have a locksmith come out and make a new key for it, so I won't be able to get it off the trailer and into the garage until that's done.

So, resurrect it or part it? If I decide to resurrect it, can I determine whether the valves or bent or not with a simple compression test?

Last edited by ideola on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pelican924  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I voted to resurrect, should you decide to part it out & it's Diamond Blue Metallic as it appears to be, I would be interested in the drivers side front fender & valance.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
2Fast  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gave up the Ghost, New Additions & a Moral Dilema Reply with quote

I would say, fix the 924 Turbo. Then I would go onto the 944. I hate seeing a good Porsche split apart like braveheart...
Adismo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gave up the Ghost, New Additions & a Moral Dilema Reply with quote

2Fast wrote:
I would say, fix the 924 Turbo. Then I would go onto the 944. I hate seeing a good Porsche split apart like braveheart...
x2 resurrect it dude
Nobbi  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo idea ola,

ziemlich perverses nummernschild.......(Blowjob!)

Ich würde den 944 wieder herstellen.Hört sich ja nicht so schlimm an.Auch wenn narürlich ein 924 Turbo viel seltener ist.

Nobbi
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have it BAD.

I have it too...but give my head a shake and come out of it.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbi wrote:
ziemlich perverses nummernschild

Yup, it's a double entendre for sure!

2Fast wrote:
I would say, fix the 924 Turbo.

The 931 essentially needs no work, so it is replacing GEIST as the daily driver for my eldest son. There are a few cosmetic things to address, but mechanically, it is very solid. It appears that the car was originally a California car, so the chassis is in fantastic shape. The biggest issue with it is the peeling clearcoat. I'll take better photos later on.

The question is what to do with the 944...

It's probably going to take at least $500 in parts alone and several weekends to even get it close, then the issue becomes how much could I sell it for as a running car in this economy, especially in Metro Detroit? Maybe $3500? I'd like to resurrect it, but a lot will depend on what I discover once I get it off of the trailer and into the garage for a more thorough eval.

Keep the votes coming
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PORSCHEV wrote:
You have it BAD.

Oh yeah, it only took a driver or two in the 81 NA back in the summer of 2004 and I was hopelessly hooked! These three new additions are #9, 10 & 11 for me (which includes the 78 NA, the 81 Weissach, and the 87 924S that I sold). I have 4 cars of 'em in the driveway, 3 parked in the garages, and the newly acquired 87 S is in offsite storage. It's a good thing I have an understanding wife

Anybody wanna volunteer for a timing belt party on the 944???
Tiny  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't part it out..

you gotta fix it....even if it is wrong...it feels so right.

wish i was over that side of the pond....id love to spanner-up to the party and learn a few tricks from the don-ideola & crew
peace
tiny

924guy  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There's also a black 1987 924S in storage that will almost for sure be a parts donor

Use the parts off the black one, to fix the snow bunny... sell the snow bunny when tax returns start rolling out, and what ever's left of the black one.. kill two birds with one stone...

And i thought I was a car whore, resistance is futile...
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924guy wrote:
sell the snow bunny when tax returns start rolling out

I like it! Great idea!
Adismo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's probably going to take at least $500 in parts alone and several weekends to even get it close, then the issue becomes how much could I sell it for as a running car in this economy, especially in Metro Detroit? Maybe $3500? I'd like to resurrect it, but a lot will depend on what I discover once I get it off of the trailer and into the garage for a more thorough eval.

Keep the votes coming
So thats the point isn`t you will have a few weeks of fun, try to look in that way and ho beter than you to restore a porsche
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adismo wrote:
So thats the point isn`t you will have a few weeks of fun, try to look in that way and ho beter than you to restore a porsche

True enough...but my conundrum is that I resolved to spend my time & money on the UWB, not another orphaned car!!! Based on what I was told about this car, I thought it was going to be good only for parts, so there was no thought of resurrecting it, only of parting it out to fund the UWB project. Then I saw it first hand...hence the moral dilemma!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now that's a nice guy! Hope you were able to buy him a beer or something!

Like the loading technique, too!

How's the interior on the 944? That's often a big deciding factor for me...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: