Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

in dire need of cheap power
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samantha  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a student, I am on a bit of a budget when it comes to my car even though it is a priority. I need a relitively inexpensive way to get power, and as much power as I can for the money. Being an '80 with 83K miles on it, I am not sure if it would be able to handle a blower.
Dave  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a 924, 924 turbo or 924S?? How much are u looking to spend??
Samantha  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, unfortunately I only have the 924. My spending limitations are very flexible if I feel it is worth it. Just the most power for the money.
Dave  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 87 924S and am a freshmen in collage. I dont know too much about the 924 engine because the 924S has the 944 engine in it. Try looking for some sites on your car. Or I bet some else will respond to ur message. If the car isnt a every day car the take the motor out and built a sick one. Also I think there is a super charger kit that will fit your car but Im not sure of the site. There might also be a NOS kit for that car too. What is it a 2.0 liter???
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first stop, take a little time to review the Performance Upgrades section on this board. Check out the web sites of the guys, most people have their site addresses as part of their signature.

One of my favourites is Jon's site at http://204.72.34.61/porsche/p924.html, take the "Tips & Tricks" link and look at "Modifications to do first".

Then, head back to 924.org and have a look at what is available there in the FAQs and links.

Then you have to decide if you want to keep the engine naturally aspired or to go for forced induction (turbo/super-charge).

If the car is your daily driver then keeping things natural and going the head/cam/headers/hi compression route will mean the least time with the car off the road. Thoughts vary but these type of mods should yield something like an extra 30 - 40hp and keep the car driveable. Another advantage with this route is that the mods can be done one at a time and each will yield an improvement.

Going the 'charger route will involve cost of fabricating one-of components, exhaust manifold for turbos, mounting brackets and custom pulleys for supercharger.

I'm currently gathering bits to put a Toyota supercharger on my N/A 924. I'm using the sc designed for a 2litre 6cyl but the one from the early MR2 would produce useful boost if geared correctly. I figure that by running fairly low boost (10psi or less) and an intercooler I can get by without having to install US/low compression pistons or change the air/fuel metering.
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1980 924 would best benefit from a ported/polished head and performance cam. Figure that is going to cost you around $600-$700 depending if you can do some of the work of Removing the head and replacing it. Then things like exhaust and throttle bodies come into play. There is a NOS kit for the 924 out there. Also there have been some turbo and super chargers but these seem to have faded into history. If you want a quicker car at a reasonable price it might be better to sell your 924 and purchase a 924S. Figure you are going to have to spend $1000-$2000 to get any appreciable hp. (range redends on your mechanical abilities) Then you might want to improve the braking... that would be another $500 plus. So if you instead sell your 924 ($1500 or so) the go and get a 924S ($3000-$4000) you will have a car that is 2 sec faster to 60 stock and has better brakes, smoother engine and some nice upgrades in heat and AC and such.

I have been doing some engine work. Got some good improvements in power, but spent about $1400 parts and machine shop work, plus money spent on my mechanics check of my work. So I could posibly have purchased a 924S.... but I am attached to my 924 so it is worth it to me. If you can make the move to the 924S that would be my suggestion.

Check out my progress at http://www.geocities.com/eturbo924 click on my projects link.

Oh and I concur Jons site is excellent!

Eric
Dave  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most bang for the buck would be a NOS kit. But there is no garante that the motor will hold it.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha,

The NOS kit is the fastest.

Risk: Too much power will blow an otherwise workable engine. Have a compression test done, and if the compression means for each piston are within around 30 points of each other, you're ok. The NOS kit is around $500 USD installed. It'll surprise people big time.
Dave  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What site is the NOS kit on do they have one for a 924S 2.5L??? Also IF you to run NOS be careful not to hit it when turning(unless its a staged setup)NOS sends alot of power all at once to the wheels and dont let the NOS run for more then a couple of seconds. Remember that the car isnt built for NOS there will be extra heat and you could melt the motor if you run the NOS to long. Also watch that redline the car will rev realy fast. BUt if you are carfull it would be really bad ass to see a 924 with NOS. I bet it will go like hell. Mybe I will do it to my 924S
924_fan  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using NOS in turns usually is not a problem. Most NOS systems are set up for wfo. If the loud pedal is floored then the NOS system can work; if not, then no NOS no matter how many times you push the button.
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NOS 'kit' is just the piping, nozzle or sprayer, bottle, hoses and mounting hardware. There isn't a 'kit' for just your car specifically, but you can use 'a' kit and adapt it to your car. Mine was in the 600 series, if I recall correctly, and it was the same used for an Acura. You'd probably use the same. Get the wet version.
Dave  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a web site??? Whats the difference between wet and DRY. Is there a dry version???
eturbo924  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet is always better
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Wetness rules.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/

[ This Message was edited by: Rick MacLaren on 2001-09-08 03:20 ]
larso  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2001 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weight reduction, if you don't care how loud the car is inside rip out the sound insulation and tar in the interior and throw a few coats of paint on it instead for protection, then throw your carpets back in on the paint, toss the 100 pounds of foam or whatever it adds up to, i just stripped a 924 and it was pretty heavy, about 4 garbage bags full, shave bumpers..then reconsider, why need power? why need handling? you could join a club and have fun instead of trying to drive fast on the street adn then you would enjoy the handling more than the 0-60s.
Going around corners is no fun when you are limited to one lane and there is dangerous traffic and pedestrians, and that is the primary reason people go to 0-60s on the street I would assume.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: