Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

ignition conversion easy and cheap ....BONUS.... reliable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbellion  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: ignition conversion easy and cheap ....BONUS.... reliable Reply with quote

alright so i switched all my bosch cdi stuff to pertronix and am very happy.

first off get a points type distributor. any early model dizzy that uses points will work whether from the us or from europe.
second get a pertronix ignitor part number 1847v
now get a bosch blue coil which is internally resisted 3 ohms this allows you to take off any exsiting ballast resistors thus simplifying you ignition system.
you may also use the pertronix flamethrower coil they come in 1.5 ohms or 3ohms resistance 4 cylinder motors need 3ohms, 6 or 8 cylinders need about 1.5. actually you can use any point type coils with this setup as long as it is either internally resisted 3ohms. or you use at least 3ohms of ballast resistance. stock porsche ballast resistance is not enough to protect the ignitor unit so if you do not use a internally resisted coil ( again 3 ohms) you must add about 2 more ohms of resistance between you battery and the + side of your coil.

my car now looks much cleaner in the engine bay runs smoother and can gap my plugs about 5 thous bigger, the best part is that these parts are super reliable and very very common if you need them. nearly every air cooled vw uses this exact setup. total setup cost $60 used euro distributor, $10 used bosch blue coil from vw swap meet, $ 70 ptronix ignitor. thats only $ 140.00 and only took an hour to get it in and tuned.

ps i love my car
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info
, but I don't think the OE Bosch ignition was "CDI" - http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=13316&start=3
They (Bosch) according to a Bosch book I have here, don't even recommend CDI for street use due to its' extremely short spark duration (which may cause incomplete or unreliable ignition of the mixture), and a tendency toward misfiring. -But it may be appropriate for extremely high rpm racing applications where short duration and the ability to fire again quickly would be appropriate - and where catalytic converters and the like aren't in use.

-But who knows? - it may work fine for you, and hope it does..

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
turbellion  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard many people refer to the bosch grey box as the cd box which can only reference a capacitor discharge ignition. but whatever was on there i wanted it off! ive heard to many people comlaining about them failing and i plan on driving my car on many long distance trips so thats the last thing i want to worry about, something i cant get breaking. so i replaced it with something ive relied on in the past and has never failed me. i took my car on a 100 mile trip yesterday and i must say it drives very very smooth now not even the faintest sound of misfires at any speed, which used to be a problem a very low and very high rpms with the old stuff.
turbellion  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if you have a magnetic reluctor type distributor dont try to convert it to take the pertronix or other points replacement system, trust me you may be able to get everything on the dizzy but it wont work no matter how long you screw with it.
N2924s  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give good sources for the exact parts you used?

I will be doing something very similar on the 76/77 Euro 924 I just bought. Since it should come with a points type distributor, I am hopefully one step ahead on parts already. Still gotta pick up the car and go through it.

Thanks, AL
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the dizzy worked well for you!

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: