Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Timing Belt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black924S  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 87' 924S, I recently took it to the mechanic to swap the broken power steering mount/ A/C tension mount. He had to remove the timing belt to get to it. I am worried about how he adjusted it. I was wondering if anyone knew if it had a automatic tensioner. It did make a "whine" but now it is loud and even at idle. Please help.

[ This Message was edited by: Black924S on 2002-05-09 11:39 ]
carnut280  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my fellow Porschephile...it does not have an automatic belt tensioner.. unfortunatly. I would, if I were you, take it to a Porsche technician to tension the belt, unless you felt rich and brave enough to buy a $500.00 belt tensioning tool so you could do it yourself. I just had the belts replaced, and they recomend getting the belts tensioned occasionally, but especially 2000 miles after the belts have been either changed or re-installed. I have 600 miles left before I go get them re-tensioned... Other people may know more about this than I, but after my belts were changed, My baby was whining, but it sounded exactly like my dad's mechanically perfect 968 cabriolet. I like the whine with the rev, so I hope it stays after I get it serviced...
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auto belt tensioner was introduced part way into the 87 model run.

I have the Factory tech Manual. If you don;t want to take the time to look under the belt cover. Get the engine serial number from the block at the rear under the timing sensor bracket, and post it.

Then I can look up the number and tell you what you have.

Need to know whether you have an automatic or a manual transmission as well.
Black924S  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think this is it; I was not able to find the engine serial on the engine, maybe you could explain more on where it is. In my warranty book, it has a "Engine Code / No." it is "07 QK". I hope that will give you what you need if not and you don't mind please tell me in more detail where the number is. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the tech. book and how much was it? Thank you so much. I can not believe i got replies in a few hours!

[ This Message was edited by: Black924S on 2002-05-10 09:07 ]
gohim  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you quoted are the engine type number "07", and the transmission type "QK".

"07" tells me that you have a Porsche 2.5L engine with 9.7 compression, designed for use with a five speed manual transmission.

There are changes during the production run of an engine type, and not all "07" engine are the same.

"QK" tells me that you have a Audi type 016J five-speed manual transmission, and what gear ratios it should have installed, along with whether, or not, it has a limited slip differential (no limited slip).

To determine whether your engine has the belt tensioner, you need to know the serial number of the engine. If the engine was built after July 86, the odds are that it does have the auto belt tensioner.

What most people do not understand is, even with the auto belt tensioner, is that it is NOT AUTOMATIC. To set the belt tension, you have to loosen two bolts, and press on teh tensioner to make sure that it is loose. Then the tensioner is supposed to tension the belt, at which point, you carefully tighten the two bolts on the tensioner, and then check teh belt tension with the famous P9201 belt tension gauge. The balance shaft belt does not have a auto tensioner, and it has to check checked and adjusted eery 10K miles also, and for it, you still have to have the P9201 tool.

The engine serial number is very hard to see, even when you know where it is, because it is buried under the wiring and the timing sensors. BUT it is there. And unless you are going to remove the front timing cover to look for the belt tensioner, you need to find it.

For the 1988 model year the engine serial number was finally moved to an easy to read spot on the right side of the engine block near the rear (does not help us 86-87 924S owners though).

[ This Message was edited by: gohim on 2002-05-11 02:16 ]
GRATIAN  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Gohim. My name is Gratian and i am from Romania. I have an 1987 924 s with this serials:WPOZZZ92ZHN401059.motor type:M44/07.I have recently crack my differencial and i look for an rack and pinion replacement from another type of Porsche.Could you tell me what type of transmission do i have 016j,016k,...
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a rack and pinion off of a 1980 924 not sure if it will fit a 924S but i think it should ia m selling it for $20cdn you would have to pay for shipping too, but if you cant find one in your country this must be the easiest for you
gohim  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 924S has power steering, so the rack and pinion from an 80 931 will not fit. The manual steering rack from a 924 will not fit in a 924S or a 944. The only other Porsche model that the power rack and pinion can be taken from for a 924S is the 83-85/1 944.
gohim  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRATIAN,

According to my Porsche Spec. Book, your 87 924S should have an 016J transmission.
samurai924s  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much does it normally cost to have a porsche tech change your timeing belt
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$300-$500 is what i found for a price on one page although i wouldnt take it to a mechanic to do anything on my car they charge an arm and a leg and there is nothing on the car you cant fix yourself, as for changing the belt i think it takes 4 or 8 hours i am not sure and a shop charges anywere from $50- $90 an hour so you have $200-$400 or $360-$720
gohim  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing or tensioning the timing belt and balance shaft belt are not dificult procedures. The biggest road block is the fact that you need the Porsche Factory P9201 Belt Tension Gauge which will cost you over $500 with the calibration bar, flywheel lock, tensioner pulley holding tool (VW), and balance shaft pulley holding tool that you will also need to do the service.

Of course, after you buy the tools and do the job a couple of times, you will be money ahead.

And remember, the belts must be tensioned 2K miles after installation, and every 10K miles after that, with replacement every three years, or 30K miles. That could make for lots of use of the tools.
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the every 10k miles after replacement in the service manual? I'm having mine retensioned now after 2200 miles but should I do it again and again every 10k miles until I change it again in 30k miles? Seems like a lot of trips to the shop.
gohim  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every 10K miles the belts must be retensioned, and EVERY 30K miles or 3 years is the belts must be replace. That's what it takes to keep the timing and balance shaft belts from breaking while the engine is running and causing $3000-$3500 damage.

I think that when then the 944 first came out the Schedule called for replacement every 60K miles. Some belts might make it to 60K miles, but some won't make it to 40K miles which is the current factory schedule (I think). Experienced 944 Ownners, and most shop operators recommend changing at 30K miles, and not the factory 40K, because there have been plenty of failures below 40K miles.

It isn't worth the risk of destroying your engine and wallet to try to stretch the belt change interval.

Also you need to get in there to check and/or replace the water pump, rollers, and pulleys at the same time. If any of those parts fail, the end result could easily be a seized water pump shaft or roller or pulley, and a thrown belt with thousands of dollars in damage.

[ This Message was edited by: gohim on 2002-05-24 18:56 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: