Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

swapping the head onto a more recent VW 8v???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

is it possible?
yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

sgloki  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: swapping the head onto a more recent VW 8v??? Reply with quote

I have been tinkering with the idea of putting my good porsche head onto a 1.6 or 1.8l VW bottom end, the 1.8l is from a 1988 vw fox (aka polo lupo) and came with a hydraulic lifter head.

The 1.6l is obviously not as likely of a option, it is from a 81 vw rabbit with a solid lifter head.

The main question... is it possible?

The other important factors: What gasket to use?
And would I lose HP. I am likely to keep it on a similar CIS unit found in the 81 rabbit, or go with dual weber carbs. The engine would be going into the rabbit, not the porsche. the 924 would likely turn into a LS1 conversion project.

Any thoughts or data? anyone done this rather than trying to rebuild the stock bottom end? (damn NLA bearings might make a rebuild impossible)
whiskeynancynancy  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the same bottom end, the porsche engine is derived from an old audi 8v, which is a bigger motor than the VW 8v
95 S6
82 528i
sgloki  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU!

After all the uninformative posts on a VW board finally a clear reply with a reason. I think I may have located a decent bottom end for $50 anyway. too bad I'm broke as can be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: