Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

A ridiculous project...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
924rennsport  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: A ridiculous project... Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm considering a project, which by most accounts is a waste of time... However, since I got both cars for free, I value my time investment at nothing and I'm thrifty to a fault...

Car 1: 1987 Porsche 924S, runs good, 60K miles, looks like it was hit by a freight train. Drivetrain was undamaged in the accident but the unibody is clearly beyond economical repair.

Car 2: 1977 Porsche 924. A clean, rust-free and generally good little car that smells like moth balls and is (under)powered by a lowly 90hp Audi engine.

I'm considering gutting the 1987 924S and installing the 4-wheel disc brakes, 5-lug wheels, 150hp (944) engine and 5-speed transmission in the lowly little 77 924.

Has anyone done any part of this conversion? Is it really as much of a bolt-in deal as many publications will have one believe?
StienbargerR  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think it is pretty straight forward. Basically you would just need to fabricate the S engine mounts and weld them in the appropriate place, then just getting the wiring dealt with. After that I think it would just be plug and play.

I do have a suggestion though. Why not just get a 931 engine, which I think makes a bit more power that the S. If you did that you would not need to fabricate anything, probly just do some rewiring.

Ryan
924guy  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brakes/suspension: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=27357&highlight=

general engine swap info: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=27353&highlight=engine+early+car+automobile
some interesting stuff here too:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=20622&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=car&start=15

okay, you can search the rest..
99' VehiCross
Y2K Honda Insight
http://www.cardomain.com/id/924Guy
Performance by Pasha
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really so ridiculous, provided you have both cars already, which it sounds like you do. The best way to do it, IMO and as stated in those other threads, would be to essentially strip the 77 chassis down to NOTHING. Then, transfer EVERYTHING from the donor 2.5L car. I mean EVERYTHING. Interior. Wiring. Suspension. Motor. Everything. Save all the glass that is salvageable for later use. Sell off the 2.0L long block, the CIS components, the interior bits, and anything else to fund the required fabrication (see below). At a minimum, you will need the suspension, driveline, engine (and ancilliaries like power steering radiator brake booster MC clutch etc.), and engine bay wiring harness. Trying to graft the wiring harness will be a complete nightmare. That is why it would be best just to gut the 77 and move everything else over.

The most challenging part for you will be figuring out how to adapt the cross member and engine mounting setup. Lots of good ideas in the above-linked thread. Not impossible by any stretch, but you WILL require access to a welder or someone who can do it for you cheaply.

On the subject of the cross member, if you're going to make your own (which is probably the path I would take if I were doing this), I would model it after the Lindsey Racing three-piece design.

While the recipient chassis is bare, I would strongly recommend that you take that opportunity to address any rust issues, POR15 it, then prime and paint to whatever color you want...might as well freshen it up while you have it down that far, no better time to do it. Also, during this phase, you should carefully plan out your electrics, particularly grounding issues, so that you can eliminate any bad grounds during transferral of the electrics.

One other thing you most definitely will need to address is strengthening of the firewall for converting over to a hydraulic clutch. Even on 931's and later 2.5L cars, the firewall can stress and fatigue and break. You should address this permanently during the conversion.

That's all I can think of for now. Big gotchas: cross member; wiring; clutch conversion. If you can solve those, the rest is just a lot of time and tedium.
924rennsport  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all! The 87 924S goes up on the lift tomorrow for Phase 1 of the dismantling... Wish me luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: