Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Illustrated Guide to 5-lug Conversions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum-based 5-lug Conversion Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
"late" 944 spindles will not have the correct geometry for a toofah with stock fenders.

Just for clarification, when you say geometry, are you simply referring to the fact that the wheels will stick out too far with narrow-body fenders, or are you referring to something specific to the alignment or caster? I had no problems putting this setup on my UWB project, but of course it has superwide fenders...
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, the front suspension is a triangle. When they lengthened the control arms, the upper strut mount stayed in the same place, so the angle between the strut and the control arm decreased. The mounting/camber adjusting holes in the spindle were changed in the later cars to compensate. Therefore, a late spindle on an early car would have more camber (or, as painful as it is to say, less negative camber).

For this reason, it is best to avoid late offset spindles on an early offset control arm.
Timmay!  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, you wrote,
"The late 951 spindles do not have the accommodation for a speedo cable, so if you convert using a late 951 as a donor, you will most likely need to install a wheel speed sensor and convert your manual speedo to an aftermarket electronic speedo. "

None of the 951's have a speedo cable. Since 86, all 944 speedos were electronic.

Also,
"If you source spindles from a 1985.5 or later 944, you MUST also source the strut housings, as the bolt pattern and flange width on the spindle are different than the early cars. "

It's been my experience that early spindles will mount to struts up to and including the 86's. It's only the ABS offset's 87-88, that have different (wider) bolt spacing where the spindle mounts to the strut.

Also, the aluminum front control arms weigh nearly the same as steel ones. Smaller size vs. heavier metal. But, the aluminum is stiffer.
88 924S SE. Rescued. Sold
PCA since 1985
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmay, yes, that is correct for normally aspirated 944s, I need to update the text. The 1986 951 definitely has the later geometry for the strut housing, as this is what I'm running on my UWB project. The spreadsheet I posted contains this information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: