Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My Porsche 924S!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaf  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad just bought me a used 1988 Porsche 924S.. Well, I'm 17 yrs old, and not one of my friends can compare to a car like this. The day I drove the car to the mechanic it was totally a euphoria. The car is fast, the handling is tight, the ride is bumpy, but well worth it. The car is dark blue, and god does it look good. The car came in perfect body condition, the interior is perfect, except for a seat rip. Anyway, I was looking at the odometer, and it only holds 5 digits.. The car says 63,000 miles, but I don't know if it's 163,000, is their a way to tell? Anyway, my dad bought the car for $2200 which is awesome. Now, I'm looking to put a chip in the car, does anyone have any suggestions? Also, the factory stereo sucks, does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap CD player that would be great for the car?
gohim  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a paid service named Carfax which will sell you a report of all of the information that it has collected from various sources for around $20. You get information like when the car changed hands, when the car was registered, and where, whether the insurance companies or states have ever had the car reported as being in an accident, or totaled. The mileage when the car was sold, or reregistered or inspected.

Sounds like you got a great car if it real only has 63K miles on it. My 87 924S only has 72K miles on it, but has been in the garage for over 6 years (PO for over 4 years, and over 2 years already with me).

It's hard to believe that your Dad was able to buy a car with only 63K miles for only $2200. That car cost over $25K when new.

Maybe your Dad didn't tell you what it really cost, or the car has the 163K miles. At any rate, it is critical to the health of the car, and your wallet, that you know exactly when the car was last serviced and what was done.

The 944/924S engine requires the timing and balance shaft belts to be tensioned every 10K miles, and replaced every 30K miles or 3 years, which ever comes first. If you don't do that, there is a good chance that the timing belt will break, then you will be looking at a $3000-$4000 repair bill.

At the time that the belts are replaced, it is a good idea to replace the water pump, front oil seals, rollers, and pulleys under the timing cover because if they go bad, you have to do the same labor as replacing the timing belt, and the labor os the big expense, not the parts.

You can't replace the timing or balance shaft belts yourself, unless you have a special $500 Porsche Belt Tensioning Tool.
amaf  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on using carfax.com soon to find out. But I was there when my dad bought the car for the $2200, now I'm just hoping it's actually 63k miles. Even though I'm a teenager I'm going to try to take care of this car as much as possible, which means no racing or abusing the car. The car itself is nice, I'm going to post pics as soon as I get my camera back. The body is immaculate, not one dent or scrath. I bought the car off a old guy, but I know their was a previous owner from the service records. The last owner swears it is 63k miles, but is their a way I can tell without carfax? Also, can someone tell me a good CD stereo head unit I can get for my car?
Dean924s  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a teenager just like you. i bought my 924s when i was 18, but anyway...the stereo i have in my car which is great is just an average blaupunkt, have to stay with what porsche uses, cd player. i am installing a four channel amp and new speakers next month. if you put in a stereo i would recommend new speakers, factory sucks.
carnut280  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aight. Joinin the 924S club early eh? I got mine at 19. they are great. Mine's an 87, with 105000, and I picked it up with 102000 on it. $3000.00. I find it hard to beleive that it is possible to find a car with only 63000 for as cheap as you did. but, if you did, congrats. now all you have to do is be a Porschephile like the rest of us, and wash it at least twice a week... well, happy driving, and you should join the PCA and race it when you are old enough (hehehe). happy driving.
exc911ence  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the 924S makes a great race car! Join the local PCA chapter and get involved in their driver instruction and autocross events and this could be you:

samurai924s  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am 7 now and i bought my 924s when i was 16 for $1500 the odomiter is stuck on 29000 and i know the previous owner told me that it had 129000 on it so it probaly really has way more miles than that but it runs amazing and its quick with minor mods i have taken out vetts boxters and 911's on a few ocassional stoplight races. great car
carnut280  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey exc911ence....how did you take a pic of my car without me knowing? it's lookin good. Mine is just like it, with the phone dials. I actually have taken my car out onto a track, not just an autocross. autocrossing is fun, but my heart rests with track racing. Also, for all of you thinking about modifying to make it fast for the track, it was a wise man who once said, "If you want to drive fast, spend the money on the driver, not the car." I know this fact to be true when at an SCCA autocross, I saw some guy in a Honda CRX that was stock, usin about 3 cans of whoopass on a brand new Z06 Corvette... Also, I have been told to NEVER drag race your 924S. it is really hard on the transmission. well, Happy driving to all who read this. and i geuss to everyone else who doesn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: