Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Changing the cold air fan in 924 (Not found in the manuals)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Changing the cold air fan in 924 (Not found in the manuals) Reply with quote

Changing the cold air fan in a 924 N/A (You won't find this in the manuals)

Here is one way of sorting a great big head ache, a cold air fan seized from neglect or even plain bust.
From what I can make out the only way to change one is by removing the majority of the dash and center consul and replacing the whole air box.
(to change just the motor this box would have to be split as well)

I removed the whole air box in a scrap car with out the care one would attain to one's own car
To be honest if you started pulling my car about as would be required I would have to KILL you!

I needed plan 'B' replace the fan from under the bonnet was a more obvious route

By removing the cover and adjusting dome, the motor is exposed, so the mounting fins can be cut half way down their length until the fan is free to be removed.

Next job is cut out the replacement fan by cutting each fin tight against the side until it to can be removed as before but with full length mounting fins

Now introduce the new motor to its final position, using the half cut fins to brace the full length fins, the motor even then is quite solid but pilot drill each one and self tap all the fins to the original fins.
Once the fan is whizzing round spray it with contact cleaner, and apply a nice bit of general purpose grease on the top baring (to disperse water as much as anything)

Refit the dome >
Refit cover and I needn't have told you my little secret >

JOBS A GOOD UN!

1979/924 N/A
Street Racer KTA508V
©2008
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done
Dan  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No RED pen then?

1979/924 N/A
Street Racer KTA508V
©2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: