Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944 / 931 ... which is cheaper?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John H  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-07 11:45, John H wrote:
Rick and Gohim
Quote:

On 2002-05-04 04:26, gohim wrote:

A friend of mine has a 81 924T which he bought new in 81. The car only has 12K miles on it now. I can tell you that both of my 924s are faster off the line then his turbo, and his turbo will pass both of my 924s in a straight line race after the turbo spools up, and he makes up my off-the-line lead. Up driving in the hills, downhill, he can't not pass me, the turbo doesn't have the traction to use all of it's power, or spool up in time for the straights.

Without trying to be too rude but maybe you should teach your friend how to drive.
I've been racing 931's for 16 years and I have never been beaten off the line by a 924. In that time I've managed to outdrag 951's, many 911's ranging from the humble 911T to the 911 2.7RS to the first corner. As for the turbo developing traction to get the power down your friend sounds as if he is going through the cornerrs in too high a gear and when coming on to the straights the turbo is off the boost.
The way to drive a 931 is to keep the revs above 4000rpm and below 6300 that way you have no turbo lag and the power is put down nice and sweetly.
A well driven 931 will beat a well driven 924 anytime. A badly driven 931 will be beaten by a well driven 924 N/A. and a badly driven 931 should beat a badlydriven 924 N/A.
So in summing up your friend was driving bad and you wherre driving better.

larso  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the 931 has extremely corvette like off the line power (not in a bad way, and not low end power way) as long as you use your clutch right. The hydraulic clutch and heaviness of the clutch makes it very smooth and firey when you rev it up and try squealing the tires. It's got little tire spin. It's a matter of wether you want to burn up your clutch...Take a look at the book values on the 931 too. 0-30 in 2.4 seconds. That is faster than the 951. I think that the hydraulic clutch plays a big role in it being very smooth off the line...other hondas I have driven tend to judder, shake, and wheel spin with the soft clutch.

As for turns I think John H has it down pretty perfect. If you shift in the middle of a turn, or if you drive in low rpms, you're going to suck. I find that these cars are also bad when you go on roads that have not been cleaned. (gravel). It has slight over steer if you downshift in the middle of the turn or it some gravel, but you can use this to your advantage. If you watch the Formula one racers, they go up on the smooth edges of the track to bring on slight oversteer.

The transmission in the back helps the car when you are doing off the line slaps. Again I think the tranny and hydraulic clutch play a big role. Now the 924S has a hydraulic clutch too, but it doesn't have any jolt of power if you drop the clutch at the correct RPM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: