Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

CorsePerVita's worklog - 1977 Porsche 924
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: CorsePerVita's worklog - 1977 Porsche 924 Reply with quote

Rather than posting 500,000 threads and updates i'm going to call this my worklog thread and post ALL my updates here once and for all LOL.

I got new plugs today in the porsche, cleaned up the door vents, got the lights working and moving (the joints seemed to be stuck, got them going now).

So i took a look at the (pump), not rusted, looks great. I didn't look inside, but as the rest of this car looks perfect inside the parts, and it's sealed, I'm going to assume it's fine. At this point I need to rebuild/repair the throttle body and slap it back on, tune it up, get a battery, and fire this badboy up. This is assuming that nothing else could be wrong. Which if something is, so be it, I'll tackle it.

(Per Ozzie, the fuel pump):

Today's job included lots of penetrating oil onto the parts to get a lot of the parts off so I can get them in a glass bath.

I've been talking about glassbeading for a while, FINALLY got ahold of my old boss and he's letting me come in not this monday, but next monday. I've got a nice big box of brackets and crap to glassbead and repaint with some high heat paint.

First thing was first, getting rid of the old plugs so i could get into the combustion chamber to spray in some penetrating oil at hopes that there is nothing wrong with the rings. At this point, I'm going to assume this motor is fine. The plugs had no rust at the threads, were not seized in, and came right out. I'm almost wondering if some things on this car had been touched a few years ago as some of the parts still move on this car with some things.

First off the plugs. Pulled them. not bad at all (don't mind the grit, i dropped them by accident)

I promised pics of the engine bay with the new lines installed. (you'll notice doubles as I was trying to figure out which lines would work the best, some of the newer lines broke both sets were pretty damn old and brittle, either way, got it installed but i think the lines are in the wrong order, manual should be here tomorrow and i'll fix that.) thanks again to Stefan, Fiat22Turbo, for the help with the CIS system

I found some interesting things in the big folder of papers that were in the car when I bought it.

After I got the plugs back in and some neversieze on the plugs... i went after the ignition system. First thing I wanted to check was the distributor. I pulled apart pieces of it and low and behold........

Perfect inside. Just like the rest of the parts have been. Crossing my fingers it'll be functional otherwise it's off for another distributor.

After I looked at the ignition and determined it may have a fighting chance at getting this car started I decided to tackle other things that had been giving me crap. Like getting the bolts off the struts as they were rusted on (you can bounce this sucker up and down like the suspension is goo). Time for PENETRATING OIL! (Warning: only for use on parts... not your girlfriend)

The pulley system too....

I'm going to let the oil sit for a few days and see if I can get them off then. It helped with the spark plugs.

The next thing to tackle was the lights. They wouldn't BUDGE hardly! Thankfully, thanks to NAPA penetrating oil... and some patience.....

VICTORY

Found this while I was hunting in the back, cleaned it up. It's great!

Pulled the door vents out, cleaning them up tonight

- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS

Last edited by CorsePerVita on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accumulators dont have wires.
I think you will find it to be your external fuel pump.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie wrote:
Accumulators dont have wires.
I think you will find it to be your external fuel pump.

Actually if this is the case it would be great news, this means i wouldn't have to drop anything to get to it. Thanks for identifying that for me! I'm still waiting on my haynes manual

If that's the pump then it appears to be in pretty good shape.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
tuurbo  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bra, dude. If I had one of those I might save myself $500 in labor on my nose piece for a couple of seasons.
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accumulators are in fromt of the rear suspension torsion/cross arm.
IIRC yours should have 2 small units.

There is a write up in the how to section on shocks or do a search.
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
!tom  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to undo the 4 nuts that hold the upper strut mount socket in. You only need to undo the big honkin nut that threads onto the strut shaft.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuurbo wrote:
Nice bra, dude.

Wow, Derrick (sp?), how many times have you heard that one?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bra, brah
2Fast  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ok screw it, i'm just going to make this my worklog.... Reply with quote

What a horrible site....i had the same problem, damn pineneedles im my headlights!!!!!

CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ok screw it, i'm just going to make this my worklog.... Reply with quote

2Fast wrote:
What a horrible site....i had the same problem, damn pineneedles im my headlights!!!!!

pine needles have been the least of my worries
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so i removed the emissions system. Now my question is how do i plug the ports that it bled into?
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the ports that need to be plugged off. For a clean look, you could remove the vacuum ports from the intake manifold/throttle body and whatnot. Then drill and tap the holes for a set screw and use thread sealant/locker to hold it in place. A bit more work, but it will look better in the end and is pretty much permanent.

The quick and dirty method is that parts stores sell rubber caps for vacuum lines, if they are sized properly they work great. Also browsing the local salvage yards can yield more vacuum plugs. Pipe and plumbing plugs of various sizes can be used for larger holes when combined with hose clamps on rubber hoses. In a pinch, I've used bolts and screws for a temporary solution.

Good luck,
Stefan
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. New battery installed and worked on it a bit. Motor turns over. not seized, but it's getting no spark. And I can't tell if it's getting fuel.

Either way the motor turns over. That's a good sign. It was 9:45 so i can't see anything... so i'm going to wait till saturday and test the ignition system.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! That's a great step in the right direction. Now I'm really sorry I missed your call....

With light, hopefully you won't have much trouble verifying fuel/spark/timing.

I'm not sure about your car, but on my car, the ignition box is in the driver's side headlight pod. Lots of places for rusty wiring that might cause a problem for you. Plus the coil may have failed due to time and elements.
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
Congrats! That's a great step in the right direction. Now I'm really sorry I missed your call....

With light, hopefully you won't have much trouble verifying fuel/spark/timing.

I'm not sure about your car, but on my car, the ignition box is in the driver's side headlight pod. Lots of places for rusty wiring that might cause a problem for you. Plus the coil may have failed due to time and elements.

no worries man. i was only going to ask you how much oil to buy but forgot i had my manual on me so i snagged it out of the car at the store

I have been reading on the haynes manual and i think i mostly understand how the wiring is working, etc... i'm going to go to the hardware store on saturday, by some NEW wire and NEW connectors.... some heat wrap, etc... and test my connections and start replacing the old wiring so I can eliminate wiring issues pro-actively (even if it's working). It doesn't look too horribly difficult. I'll start from the basics and work my way up. At least on the good side I know that the motor turns over. That was so relieving.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: